Valves No Longer Working QV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By ASRman

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Valves No Longer Working QV

Dear all, I have recently had a Larini catback race exhaust fitted to my QV. The exhaust is valved and utilises OEM vacuum line. After fitting I noticed the valves no longer work. I looked behind the rear wheel liner and low and behold the installer decided to leave the vacuum line unplugged which explains the loss of the valves. I reached under and refastened the vacuum line to the valves on both sides of the car however the valves are still not working! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 648
County: Antrim
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRman View Post
Dear all, I have recently had a Larini catback race exhaust fitted to my QV. The exhaust is valved and utilises OEM vacuum line. After fitting I noticed the valves no longer work. I looked behind the rear wheel liner and low and behold the installer decided to leave the vacuum line unplugged which explains the loss of the valves. I reached under and refastened the vacuum line to the valves on both sides of the car however the valves are still not working! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Is the solenoid plugged in ? If not they wont work at all.
(Post Link) post #3 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi thanks for the reply. I have checked under the car and the solenoid valve seems to be all plugged in. I also would have thought if it was not plugged I would have received some sort of CEL? Checked vacuum lines again everything is tight so I am now stumped once again.
(Post Link) post #4 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Hi thanks for the reply. I have checked under the car and the solenoid valve seems to be all plugged in. I also would have thought if it was not plugged I would have received some sort of CEL? Checked vacuum lines again everything is tight so I am now stumped once again.
You are right i am sure it would have thrown a CEL.

Its odd alright. Any chance the valves are stuck/tight ? Maybe try and get a vacuum onto them and make sure they open and close ? I cant see it being a problem withe the accumulator if it was working before the install. Can you bring it back to them easily enough ?

In fact just looking at a picture of the Quicksilver exhaust, you can probably just open the valve using a screwdriver through the outer most tail pipes to make sure its free..

Last edited by Phil_D; 4 Weeks Ago at 15:23.
(Post Link) post #5 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_D View Post
You are right i am sure it would have thrown a CEL.

Its odd alright. Any chance the valves are stuck/tight ? Maybe try and get a vacuum onto them and make sure they open and close ? I cant see it being a problem withe the accumulator if it was working before the install. Can you bring it back to them easily enough ?

In fact just looking at a picture of the Quicksilver exhaust, you can probably just open the valve using a screwdriver through the outer most tail pipes to make sure its free..
I don't know the source of the vacuum for the exhaust valve operation, but recently Maser3200 had to have his turbo waste gate vacuum reservoir replaced as it had spilt.

That did give him a CEL and limp mode, if I recall.

Andy
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
kgb
AO Silver Member

If they were working before with the OEM exhaust and now not working.. it might be just stuck valves on the Larini.

You can try with a vacuum pump to see if they work at all.
(Post Link) post #7 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for replies. Vacuum doesn't seem to be doing much so I presume it's a case of emergency stick/tight valves as mentioned by Phil_D. I will book it in next week for a fix and update. Happy Easter in the meantime!
(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Thanks for replies. Vacuum doesn't seem to be doing much so I presume it's a case of emergency stick/tight valves as mentioned by Phil_D. I will book it in next week for a fix and update. Happy Easter in the meantime!
On other cars with vacuum exhaust valves they sometimes stick / sieze open or closed. This can normally be fixed with a long screwdriver and some WD4, wworking them open and closed until they loosen and work with the vacuum again. I wouldn't expect this on a brand new exhaust though.
(Post Link) post #9 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

I note you haven't said if the are permanently open or closed?
The vacuum normally opens the valves and a spring normally closes them. If they are stuck open then it's not the vacuum.
(Post Link) post #10 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi. Sorry, they are stuck open. They are stuck open both with and without the vacuum line attached to the valves. Perhaps you are right and it's not related to the vacuum line at all. Problem with this exhaust design is that long screwdriver won't work due to the bend in muffler piping meaning it's impossible to reach the flaps without dropping the diffuser! You're right not to be expected on a brand new exhaust let alone a £3.5k Larini system! Really disappointed as I needed the car this weekend but it's near undriveable with the level of drone being emitted seeing as it's constantly in open flap race regardless of DNA setting.
(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Most vacuum exhausts work by using the vacuum to open the valves and a spring to close them therefore if they are stuck open I'd suggest it is not the vacuum. I have no experience of the Alfa exhaust though so could be wrong in this instance.
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

I messaged Larini who have said if the vacuum pipe was not installed correctly then it's possible some bits of debris or dirt may have blocked the line and requires cleaning. This just gets better and better. If it turns out to be the case the installer will need to cover the cost of any damaged parts in my book. In the meantime, any suggestions as to how might go about cleaning the vacuum line?
(Post Link) post #13 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Update - disconnected the vacuum lines and absolutely no suction power whatsoever. Even if it was clogged I would have thought there would be some sort of suction still or noise albeit not as great but it is totally dead. Perhaps I am missing something entirely here. Is there an electronic switch of sorts which controls the solenoid valve. I can't see the installer having stuffed the solenoid. The valves were working perfectly prior to install.
(Post Link) post #14 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I assume you are checking with the engine running ?

Try pulling the pipe off the input side of the solenoid and seeing if there is vacuum there.

If there is it’s either the solenoid or a blocked line.

It looks like there is an in-line valve/filter just after the output of the solenoid before the T piece ? Check it as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 75791BF2-1863-4CC9-B0E0-25CB85C04E38_1555834543392.jpeg (49.1 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Phil_D; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:23.
(Post Link) post #15 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Phil_D thanks for your reply and attachment. Yes all with engine running and switching different modes. I did check the solenoid valve and connections but due to them being difficult to reach without dropping the diffuser and lower panel I was unable to disconnect the vacuum line form that end. All the connections seemed to be tight though as I prodded the wires gently to check for any loose connection.

I did actually end up calling Alfa assist out yesterday to see what they thought. The chap was extremely helpful and had a thorough look at everything and also reset the ECU and battery to see if that would work but nothing. In his opinion it's most likely the actually valve solenoid itself which may need recoding at the dealer. He doubted anything would have been sucked up into the vacuum lines even moreso given there is no vacuum working ! Looks like I'm going to have to just live with it however for now until I get her back into the garage next week.
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
👍👍 let me know what it was when you get it fixed..I’m intrigued lol
(Post Link) post #17 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

I definitely will update when it's fixed ! Cheers.
(Post Link) post #18 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Phil_D.

Car is all fixed ! Valves working perfectly.

Now to the cause....

The vacuum pipe had become blocked! The installer was sure he installed it correctly but apparently it came off. Although I suspect he may have indeed forgotten to attach it. Either way it's all put right now I'm a happy man lol.
Phil_D, alfabeat and cloverleaf535 like this.
(Post Link) post #19 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Excellent news 👍 glad it was something simple in the end..
(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:

He doubted anything would have been sucked up into the vacuum lines even moreso given there is no vacuum working !
This is typical of main dealer technicians (from all companies) and shows a complete lack of any ability to fault find without following a manual.
Can you imagine a doctor saying 'sorry sir I don't think your child could have inhaled anything dangerous because he isn't breathing'? Errr, hello????

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
longer , valves , working

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page