This is getting ridiculous now - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 30Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

This is getting ridiculous now

I recently read the write up in Auto Express on the long term Giulia Veloce they had in their fleet.

In a nutshell they said it was a dream to drive, a beauty to behold and the car to beat in its segment.

However, they then go on to criticise the infotainment selection wheel and the infotainment system generally and also Ďsomeí of the interior plastics. Does anyone buy a car based on the plastic? Does anyone have any gripes about the infotainment selection wheel? I donít.

I have examined a few BMWs and I even owned Audiís for 13 years and I honestly donít agree that the German plastics are a quantum leap in quality compared to the Giuliaís. In fact I find BMW interiors a bit sterile and uninspiring compared to my Veloce. I also hate that the infotainment screen in Beemers and . It looks like an after thought. Yes the infotainment itself isnít state of the art but it does all I want.

As for the selection wheel, it works fine and feels fine imho.

Why do the press nitpick and continue to perpetuate the unreliable myth when it comes to Alfas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -
well TBH its the one comparison people can make for themselves by simply looking at each interior
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Cyprus
Garage
They surely must have mentioned the gear selector. It's been the journalists' favorite bashing point since day one.
(Post Link) post #4 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
When one of the German brands or another are your paymasters what do you expect?

"We've become increasingly aware of the ties between the Haymarket brands; What Car, Pistonheads and Autocar; and VAG, with the Haymarket Network subsidiary providing dealer networking and editorial content across the whole group, and a strange bias in their magazines to anything VAG as a result.

To a lesser extent we have Dennis Publishing that produce Evo, Carbuyer and Auto Express have a subsidiary, Dennis Digital, who provide in dealer video players and touch screens for numerous partners including Skoda.

Well, it looks like Car and Parkers are the next ones to fall. Both are owned by Bauer Consumer Media, who also own numerous radio and TV stations that receive substantial advertising revenue from German auto firms. Recently, Bauer has signed a deal to provide editorial content and technology for none other than Mercedes Benz. And you thought Giulia lost to the C class in Car's tests on merits?

"
kgb and Nicb205 like this.

Someone said to me, "so whats so special about an Alfa Romeo then?" I told him, "If you have to ask, you wont understand".

Giulia Super Lusso 2.0MA, wife drives 939 Spider 2.2, plus now a 147 1.6 TS whilst the Spider hibernates and there is a 1972 Spider 2000 S2 in the garage for fun days.

Previously, Brera 2.2 Prodrive - 159 SW 1.9JTDm
(Post Link) post #5 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Italy , UK.
Well, it seems we all know better and have voted with our money, says it all really.
sb1957 likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
The Alfa interiors are produced by the same supplier as Audi. However, detail development of the theme into production for the harmony of radii and curves such as the relationship of the front of the door-trim and the end of the dashboard do not appear to get the same attention as Audi. It doesnít matter what material you use if the form in the mouldings isnít honed.
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Giulia 2.0 Super

After owning my Giulia Super for 2 years I have to agree with them, the finishings details are not good enough.
The gear selector does have rough plastic on the back, the infotainment system is lacking intelligence, the traffic map warning is utterly useless, the speakers are very average.
There is also a 2mm gap in my centre console plastics.
I can only compare this car to my C250 Mercedes - any issues were sorted by Mercedes immediately, Alfa still haven't fixed a door rattle...
The car is good and I would recommend, but I wouldn't have another.
(Post Link) post #8 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Lothian
I just don’t understand how anal you have to be to care about interior plastics. They’re there to cover up the metal and wiring parts. They do the job and they’re nicely styled. Unless you intend to rub your nether regions on the surfaces, I wouldn’t worry. I’d rather they spent the budget on the oily bits, which they did.
(Post Link) post #9 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

For me , as a designer , I am quite ďanal ď about the materials and the forms. After all youíre paying for a professional to have done their work professionally. Iím quite forgiving if the result functions really well , as my Stelvio does, but I know a process with a bit more time would make the interior even better. I like the theme but Iíd be interested to see it finished under the Audi process. Not BMW.
(Post Link) post #10 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Cyprus
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
When one of the German brands or another are your paymasters what do you expect?

"We've become increasingly aware of the ties between the Haymarket brands; What Car, Pistonheads and Autocar; and VAG, with the Haymarket Network subsidiary providing dealer networking and editorial content across the whole group, and a strange bias in their magazines to anything VAG as a result.

To a lesser extent we have Dennis Publishing that produce Evo, Carbuyer and Auto Express have a subsidiary, Dennis Digital, who provide in dealer video players and touch screens for numerous partners including Skoda.

Well, it looks like Car and Parkers are the next ones to fall. Both are owned by Bauer Consumer Media, who also own numerous radio and TV stations that receive substantial advertising revenue from German auto firms. Recently, Bauer has signed a deal to provide editorial content and technology for none other than Mercedes Benz. And you thought Giulia lost to the C class in Car's tests on merits?

"
Oddly enough Evo had the Veloce and Quadrifoglio as their car of the year in their respective categories.
(Post Link) post #11 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

I've owned new and used Alfa's for over 20 years now and I have to say I'm not happy with my QV for me its the least Alfa - Alfa i have owned ... Its to good !! I wish they had bought out a very special car a bit sooner. The 156 GTA was the last proper Alfa and I have owned two a brand new Manual as soon as it came out and a used Selespeed which was absolutely fantastic. I for one am not interested in the interior plastics at all and I wouldn't waste 30 seconds of my life looking through the window of a BMW and the like to compare.If it saved as little as £1000 on the price I would also gladly throw all the tech in the bin, rarely use the infotainment, the engine soundtrack is enough for me, and there's only one knob I care about. Its all changed because of the necessity to compete with BMW and Mercedes .. cars I would rather cut my feet off than own, so if we are behind them in any way long may it continue, admittedly not good for Alfa but good for keeping the Alfa different factor going .. Oh and it was a joke.. I am happy with my QV ... LOVE IT
CABBLACK, cue2 and GVblue like this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

When I had Audis I always admired the quality of stuff when static but I had to go back to Italian cars because of the spirit of them as a car, when moving. As long as German makers keep launching so many new cars their press people will spend time with journalists and train them to compare all this fit and finish and harmony of parts. Itís interesting how VW are moving to hard plastics and getting away with it.
(Post Link) post #13 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Italy , UK.
Just mentioning Audi and i start to nod off, good job i don't drive one!
lussoman likes this.
(Post Link) post #14 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Lots of Italians drive them.
(Post Link) post #15 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Lots of Italians drive them.
More of them drive Kias and Hyundai’s.
(Post Link) post #16 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Well marketed by a guy who used to be head of Ford Italia marketing.
(Post Link) post #17 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Speaking as someone going from an Audi to an Alfa I have to say I agree. The arm rest cover felt like the catch on it wouldn't last long. And some of you may say you don't care about the quality of the interior plastics but as I spend more time inside the car then outside looking at it, I care about the look and feel of the cabin and the infotainment. These 2 were the 2 biggest issues for me when trying to convince myself to buy the Alfa. My wife who was also buying a new car at the same time made it even harder by looking at a Volvo Xc60 R design pro. The interior in that made my Audi feel dated (having said that, the Volvo is a recently released model and my Audi interior, although a 2016 model, dates back to 2012, the latest A6 interior looks amazing from a tech point of view).
But, we don't buy Alfas because their interior is better than others. Their strong points lie elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I like the Alfa interior but I do feel it is not as well built as the Audi. It did make me stop and think about ordering one, but I still ordered it.

Giulia Quadrifoglio 2019 Vulcano Black

Gone... Panther Black 2016 RS6 Performance, Phantom Black 2007 RS4, Silver 2004 156 GTA & 1998 Vinci Grey Fiat Coupe LE
(Post Link) post #18 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

It’s still the same supplier , maybe different corporate standards and a better facade of perceived quality.
Here’s the Autocar long term Audi A4 when something came adrift..

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/o...terior-niggles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66C3BC1B-DCD7-481D-847A-CD9421BCD760.jpg (81.8 KB, 16 views)
(Post Link) post #19 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Itís still the same supplier , maybe different corporate standards and a better facade of perceived quality.
Hereís the Autocar long term Audi A4 when something came adrift..

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/o...terior-niggles
Maybe. But the glove box and arm rest opening and closing, as examples, feel different.
However, I'd also like to add that a leather dashboard was not even an option on my Audi which had a list price of £94k but standard on the Alfa.
My initial point remains the same, whether true or not, the Alfa feels cheaper inside and that matters to me. Perhaps it is something other than the actual plastics that gives me that impression.
(Post Link) post #20 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

If you think of the decor in some countries such as Italy itís more common to have ceramic tiled floors instead of carpet and the most expensive Lancias in the fifties had rubber mats.
(Post Link) post #21 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
I bought my Alfa for how it drives and looks, the interior was in a way irrelevant apart for the seats which I love.

I have to admit at first I didn't like the look of the infotainment display, especially as it wasn't a touch screen, that was until I learnt on here how the push dial controlled it. I now love it, click up for the menus, click down for pre tuned radio stations. Simple and less distracting. For me that's a bonus. As for the gear stick, how often do you touch it? Not very often in my case, plus how many cars have those glorious aluminium paddle shifts?
Pearse, CABBLACK, GVblue and 2 others like this.

Back putting on the miles now.
(Post Link) post #22 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Cambs
I have never really worried about the interior on my car, there are some annoying bits in terms of fit and finish of some of the trim, but the design flow to the interior is quite good, the door handles having the same shape as the driving lights for example... the car drives and handles superbly and the cabin is a nice place to be on a long or short journey, it's my first Alfa and even though it is a company supplied lease car, I have never washed a car so much or cared that it looks good to everyone else :-)
alfabeat likes this.
(Post Link) post #23 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -
The click wheel in my mum's new 420 M Sport has a much firmer action and has less play than the click wheel in my 2017 Giulia. So they have a point. Personally I couldn't give a toss and would have the Alfa over the BMW anyday. But different people have different priorities so what are they doing wrong by pointing it out. People who care about click wheels might go by a BWM. People who don't care about click wheels will probably think, well if that's the best they can come up with it's probably a great car.
Cutterbuck likes this.
(Post Link) post #24 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Again View Post
I bought my Alfa for how it drives and looks, the interior was in a way irrelevant apart for the seats which I love.

I have to admit at first I didn't like the look of the infotainment display, especially as it wasn't a touch screen, that was until I learnt on here how the push dial controlled it. I now love it, click up for the menus, click down for pre tuned radio stations. Simple and less distracting. For me that's a bonus. As for the gear stick, how often do you touch it? Not very often in my case, plus how many cars have those glorious aluminium paddle shifts?
Couldn't have put it better myself Alfa Again, particularly on the infotainment. I'm sick of hearing "oooh! it isn't a touch screen". I don't want a friggin touch screen. We have them in our other cars and I hate them as they encourage you to take your eyes of the road. Just like a phone, which is illegal. Once you know your way around the system you can use it almost without looking, much safer.
cue2 likes this.
(Post Link) post #25 of 27 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

A touch screen is ok in applications where you can give it your attention. The only thing that confuses with the Giulia/Stelvio system is when the safety disclaimer comes on and it looks like a response would on a touch screen.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
ridiculous

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page