Hope this isnít anyone on this forum.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 93Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 108 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Hope this isnít anyone on this forum....

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...e-man-14313719

Hope all is OK with this QV owner...

Seacourt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacourt View Post
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...e-man-14313719

Hope all is OK with this QV owner...

Seacourt
If it is then don't expect a reply for a bit. Says they had to cut him out.
I just don't understand how that happens on the road. It's not even wet.
(Post Link) post #3 of 108 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty156 View Post
If it is then don't expect a reply for a bit. Says they had to cut him out.
I just don't understand how that happens on the road. It's not even wet.
I hate to say it but it might be Shiskine. He showed a pic of QV with the Reg No. UHS 19, and i think that is the same reg on the first pic (although it is difficult to see).. He is also Glasgow based..

Bad news indeed... my thoughts are with him.....

Seacourt
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Can’t remember if that is the second or third one I have seen binned. Deffo one in Wolverhampton, not sure if there wasn’t another too.

Hope they are ok.
AO Member

I think it is indeed Shiskine. Gutted for the guy. Hope he's ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190416-065620_1555394267847.jpg (11.6 KB, 119 views)
cue2 likes this.
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

'98 156 V6

There is a worrying amount of these being crashed relative to how many are on the road. 500bhp is just far too much for the average person to control without sufficient training. And deciding that race mode should have no safety features is one of the dumbest moves Alfa could have made.

Hope he is okay.
Top Down and Razor1955 like this.
AO Member

Someone else said he got out without serious injury, to the amazement of the attending services.
So good news.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
AO Member

AO Silver Member

Good news that he's not seriously injured.
That's about 4 or 5 I've seen in quite big crashes (Not just in the UK) and in all of them the driver has been uninjured. Fully deserves it's 5 star Ncap rating for sure.

Wonder why the fire crews are all huddled around the rear of the car?
bucketbot and Windymissile like this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsemtex View Post
... And deciding that race mode should have no safety features is one of the dumbest moves Alfa could have made.

I really don't agree. The problem is not RACE mode, but drivers without the skills to drive such a high performance car to its potential.

RACE mode is intended for the track where safety features, except ABS, are definitely best off.

Anyone who uses RACE on the public road does so at their own risk.

There have been an alarming number of Quadrifoglio's written off, apparently with RACE being used in built up areas. That surely is unwise and not public spirited.

Let's hope the incidents have all been without significant injuries to anyone.

Andy
AO Silver Member

I think the problem with Race is more due to the exhaust. People want to hear the full exhaust noise but can only get it in Race. I suspect they wouldn't be in Race if you got the full noise in Dynamic say.
Seems Alfa may now be in agreement with that too as it looks like new cars will get the full exhaust noise in Dynamic too.
cue2 and Windymissile like this.
AO Member

The problem is not in RACE mode by itself. The problem is Alfa deciding for exhaust to be fully open only in RACE mode, and owners usung it mostly for that feature.

Alfa should change that early on, but they still haven't to this day, even tough all reviews camplained about it.
Windymissile likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
There is a worrying amount of these being crashed relative to how many are on the road. 500bhp is just far too much for the average person to control without sufficient training. And deciding that race mode should have no safety features is one of the dumbest moves Alfa could have made.

Hope he is okay.
Utter twaddle.
Throttle position is always optional. As is Race mode.
If you would have ever take one on track, you would realise that Race mode is as essential as it is amazing.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard View Post
The problem is not in RACE mode by itself. The problem is Alfa deciding for exhaust to be fully open only in RACE mode, and owners usung it mostly for that feature.

Alfa should change that early on, but they still haven't to this day, even tough all reviews camplained about it.
This, exactly.
The temptation to revert to Race mode to hear the full exhaust was too much for some people. Couple this with the lack of stability systems and cold Corsas is asking for trouble.
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Particularly as it looks as though this guy is a forum member, should we not wait to hear from him before hanging him out to dry, it might just not be down to his driving style but could be as a result of interference of another vehicle or road conditions 🤔
Pearse, duemila, bucketbot and 1 others like this.
AO Member

I don't think anyone has appointed any blame yet. From what I can see there has been concern for the guy's well-being. It's turned into a bit of a discussion about Race mode (as these threads always do) but I for one, am certainly not suggesting this was at all anything to do with the incident.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windymissile View Post
***** Romeo
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty156 View Post
Good news that he's not seriously injured.
That's about 4 or 5 I've seen in quite big crashes (Not just in the UK) and in all of them the driver has been uninjured. Fully deserves it's 5 star Ncap rating for sure.

Wonder why the fire crews are all huddled around the rear of the car?

Most likely trying to disconnect the battery in the boot. Lights are still on, its the most important first step for fire men to do, ensures fuel pumps are not still running and prevents electrical shorts.
bucketbot likes this.
AO Silver Member

Good point.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard View Post
If that's what you want simply spend around £250 & fit the AHM Remote solution and you can have the flaps open whenever you like.

Had mine done from early on and drive with them open all the time.
AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

'98 156 V6

Quote:
Quote:

Hope he is okay.
Utter twaddle.
Throttle position is always optional. As is Race mode.
If you would have ever take one on track, you would realise that Race mode is as essential as it is amazing.
You're ignoring the fact that race mode is the only mode that allows the exhaust flaps to open fully. I have no problem with there being a mode which fully disengages TC, ESC, etc but the exhaust is all most people want to here in every day driving. Making that inaccessible except in race mode was idiotic on Alfa's behalf. A 500bhp car is as much about entertainment as it is about sheer performance. The exhaust being open is a big part of that entertainment factor and it should have been very obvious that people would want to hear it, perhaps being naive to how hard to control a 500bhp car really is without electronic aids.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
I don't think anyone has appointed any blame yet. From what I can see there has been concern for the guy's well-being. It's turned into a bit of a discussion about Race mode (as these threads always do) but I for one, am certainly not suggesting this was at all anything to do with the incident.
race mode is misleading to those who do not know it as a dangerous thing.

D (and all the systems that remain on with it) with mild acceleration with not warm enough corsas can be just as hazardous. i fishtailed badly for a a number of seconds at after pulling away from some traffic lights last year on a slightly chillier than time of year day still in corsa season. i wasn't putting much power down, but proper shat myself none the less as i could easily have lost it had i been a lesser driver...

race mode isnt a problem. abuse of the power in non optimal conditions can be. but i this case no one knows what happened
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia QV

Those pictures are truly horrible to look at. Hope the driver is ok.
AO Member

County: UK

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Whatever the reason for this accident, I have nothing but sympathy for the driver, whoever he/she is and hope they recover quickly and fully.
I do raise an eyebrow somewhat however when I see any accident like this on the roads. As a professional truck driver I see people do the most stupid crazy things in their cars and on motorbikes, not just on a daily basis but almost every minute of every day I'm driving.
The risks some people take just to get a couple of cars ahead, or ahead of the wagon, you would not believe. It truly beggars belief.
Are those few seconds REALLY that important?
I wish I could stop people sometimes and ask them what the hell they are thinking!
But there are so few police on the roads these days and virtually no enforcement of the rules of the road other than by camera. Some days Iím truly convinced Iím the only vehicle on the road that knows and keeps to the speed limit, unless thereís a speed camera of course...
cue2 and emu like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
forum , hope , isnít

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page