Winter Tyres or not - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By GMBash
  • 1 Post By Geordielad
  • 2 Post By MR D4VE
  • 3 Post By Alfa Again
  • 1 Post By GiuliettaJS

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 15-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Winter Tyres or not

So following on from my last post, I'm really interested in the Giulia however one reservation I have is the rear wheel drive. Having driven the 4x4 for almost 6 years and previously many front wheel drive cars winter has been no real problem but going back to rear wheel drive only could have it's issues i live out in the sticks a bit, so I'm thinking about purchasing a set of wheels with winter tyres, have any of experiance of this and how do you get on in general during the winter months, bearing in mind snow here in the UK isn't a major issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Lancashire
Had winters for the last 10 years - a must for me regardless of 'how much snow' - it's not about that, it's about grip and the science of rubber compounds in low temperatures - if you're in the car a lot, it makes sense to ensure that the thing between you and the road is performing as optimally as possible. On RWD Beemers, they definitely helped - there will always be a point they can't handle, esp in auto but those times are v few and far between. Not had a winter with the Giulia yet but can't imagine it being too different an experience. If anything, with the paddles, it should yield more control?

Do get a separate set of rims too though, not just tyres - learnt that lesson - taking them on and off either damaged the tyres and\or alloy or both.
MR D4VE likes this.
AO Member

County: Italy , UK.
As soon as i ordered my Giulia i was looking for new wheels and winter tyres. The car came with the Bruniti 19,s and i bought the Design 19,s for the winter tyres. My two favorite wheels which will give the car a different look for 6 months a year.
Also mine is four wheel drive and the winter tyres are required by law here in Italy
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 15-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBash View Post
Had winters for the last 10 years - a must for me regardless of 'how much snow' - it's not about that, it's about grip and the science of rubber compounds in low temperatures - if you're in the car a lot, it makes sense to ensure that the thing between you and the road is performing as optimally as possible. On RWD Beemers, they definitely helped - there will always be a point they can't handle, esp in auto but those times are v few and far between. Not had a winter with the Giulia yet but can't imagine it being too different an experience. If anything, with the paddles, it should yield more control?

Do get a separate set of rims too though, not just tyres - learnt that lesson - taking them on and off either damaged the tyres and\or alloy or both.
Sounds like a plan,I do around 17k a year so it's got to be worth it, I put winter tyres on my 159 some years back and it was a marked improvement over the standard tyres although I did get stuck once, purely an error of judgment due to poor visibility.
GMBash likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 15-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymanblack View Post
As soon as i ordered my Giulia i was looking for new wheels and winter tyres. The car came with the Bruniti 19,s and i bought the Design 19,s for the winter tyres. My two favorite wheels which will give the car a different look for 6 months a year.
Also mine is four wheel drive and the winter tyres are required by law here in Italy
I wish we could get the 4 wheel drive here but apparently it's something to do with the right hand drive conversion which causes the problem
AO Member

County: UK

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Definitely worth considering winter tyres on RWD cars. I got stuck in snow for hours twice 3 winters ago so when I picked up my Giulia last September immediately began looking for another set of wheels to put winter tyres on. I picked up a set of 17” wheels (I have 18” staggered wheels normally) from eBay that came off a smashed up Giulia for just £200, only had a few minor marks on then too.
Then put a set of Falken run flat winters on for £450.
Put them on the car in Late October, put summers back on in early March. We only had a couple of days of lying snow last winter but they were brilliant.
They are definitely a considered purchase due to the initial outlay but remember that you effectively reduce your tyre wear by half.
GMBash and Geordielad like this.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
There are plenty of threads on here regarding fitting Winter Tyres.

We have 4wd cars because we live on a hilly country road. In the rare winter conditions 2wd cars struggle and as for the RWD cars we've owned in the past, they couldn't cope.

So when I got my Speciale back in Sept 17 I purchased a new set of alloys with Vredestein Wintrac Extremes. I have driven in reasonably fresh and deep snow, with these tyres fitted the car sailed through with no problems, the same goes for it's replacement a Veloce. For me it's a no brainer, get them.
MR D4VE, GMBash and Geordielad like this.

Back putting on the miles now.
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 16-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

It's mad when you think years ago I drove Cortina's, Sierra's and many other RWD cars whilst living in the North East through some terrible winters and rarely had an issue but having gone soft in my later years driving mainly FWD and 4x4's I'm now considering purchasing winter tyres, I suppose in hindsite back in the day the compounds were perhaps softer
AO Member

County: Edinburgh

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordielad View Post
It's mad when you think years ago I drove Cortina's, Sierra's and many other RWD cars whilst living in the North East through some terrible winters and rarely had an issue but having gone soft in my later years driving mainly FWD and 4x4's I'm now considering purchasing winter tyres, I suppose in hindsite back in the day the compounds were perhaps softer
I think the tread patterns were different.
"Sporty" tyres now often have several circumferential groves, which are next to useless trying to grip soft surfaces.

Obviously winter tyres are not only useful when it snows, so you are probably correct the compounds have likely changed too.
Geordielad likes this.
AO Member

County: England

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Just took my winters off. Absolute must for me. I picked the car up in Dec2017 and had a 4 hour drive back from Chester. There was ice and snow all over the place and it was bloody scary in a brand new car. Ordered the winters from Camskill when I got home. My local garage changes the tyres for £10 a wheel and i store them in the garage over the summer. When I put them back on in the Autumn they really help with the greasy/wet/cold roads too.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
tyres , winter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page