Giulia Veloce Squeak\Rattle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 19Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 02-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Question Giulia Veloce Squeak\Rattle

Hi,

I've uploaded here

I'm due to take my car into the dealers next week and have mentioned a rattle to them but now it's sounding more like a creak\squeak\rubbing of something - can't hear it outside.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBash View Post
Hi,

I've uploaded here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6oUzAQwtTw

I'm due to take my car into the dealers next week and have mentioned a rattle to them but now it's sounding more like a creak\squeak\rubbing of something - can't hear it outside.

Any ideas?
Only had my veloce just under 2 weeks, and noticed the exact same sound. It's not too annoying but still there. Going to mention it to the dealer when it goes in for it's first service. How long have you noticed it for?
(Post Link) post #3 of 33 Old 03-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair88 View Post
Only had my veloce just under 2 weeks, and noticed the exact same sound. It's not too annoying but still there. Going to mention it to the dealer when it goes in for it's first service. How long have you noticed it for?
Since the first day I bought it (last month) and had come off the motorway on my journey back to Greater Manchester from Slough. I didnít hear it on the motorway but I had someone with me and the radio on. Seems to have got more noticeable though. I will let you know if itís identified next week.
AO Member

County: -
Giulia Veloce Squeak\Rattle

I canít make out from the vid but my veloce has a rattle from behind dash or under the hood and only does it when the gearbox engages. So in neutral revving nothing but when I engage gear it vibrates/rattles.

Under the hood at the top (close to windscreen) there a thin line/pipe which has some hard rubber bumpers on it. I think/hope it is that and not something from behind or in the dashboard. I mentioned to dealer but they couldnít fix and said it was a ďcharacteristicĒ of the car which is ridiculous.

I will get round to trying to fix it myself, definitely not very impressed. Car is going back in again soon for dealer to fix something they damaged previously so Iíll ask them again to look at vibration/rattle and then get written confirmation from them of the issue and complain to Alfa about it.

Iíll have a listen to your video again later when Iím home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza1976 View Post
I canít make out from the vid but my veloce has a rattle from behind dash or under the hood and only does it when the gearbox engages. So in neutral revving nothing but when I engage gear it vibrates/rattles.
Mine's done this since day 1 too. Not especially loud though but I only notice when in first gear, manual or auto. If I click to D2 or M2, it goes away. Never bothered me enough to get it looked at but suspect it's not particularly uncommon then.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dazza1976 likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:

Under the hood at the top (close to windscreen) there a thin line/pipe which has some hard rubber bumpers on it. I think/hope it is that and not something from behind or in the dashboard. I mentioned to dealer but they couldnít fix and said it was a ďcharacteristicĒ of the car which is ridiculous.

I will get round to trying to fix it myself, definitely not very impressed. Car is going back in again soon for dealer to fix something they damaged previously so Iíll ask them again to look at vibration/rattle and then get written confirmation from them of the issue and complain to Alfa about it.

This is very similar to mine, I shall post something soon. It seems to happen initially when engaging gears, although it is slightly there when revving too. It happens when I slow down just before a stop and during creep. It certainly is not related to engine being cold or warm. However, I cannot comment on ambient temperature since I purchased the vehicle in Dec 2018 and it has not exactly been very warm since then.

I have contacted the dealership and sent audio recordings and a video recording too - they acknowledge the issue and will investigate soon when I have achieved 9k miles for my first service.
Dazza1976 likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalli View Post
This is very similar to mine, I shall post something soon. It seems to happen initially when engaging gears, although it is slightly there when revving too. It happens when I slow down just before a stop and during creep. It certainly is not related to engine being cold or warm. However, I cannot comment on ambient temperature since I purchased the vehicle in Dec 2018 and it has not exactly been very warm since then.

I have contacted the dealership and sent audio recordings and a video recording too - they acknowledge the issue and will investigate soon when I have achieved 9k miles for my first service.

Yes mine is getting worse. Definitely not temp related. I picked mine up late November 2018. Beautiful car but had few bits fall off/need replacing and also dealer (Thames motors in tunbridge wells) have been awful and caused more damage.

Iíll get some more recordings myself when I can, but tbh they donít always come through on videos. Definitely like yours though, when you engage the gear something is vibrating either due to engine/gearbox shake or smoothing that is rotating is causing it. Pretty shoddy IMO, relieved you guys have same issue, so itís not just me!

Need to go to next Alfa meet up in south east/london area to pick garner second opinions from other Alfa owners.

AO Member

County: UK

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

I have noticed an annoying, intermittent rattle (2017 veloce) - very difficult to determine source (seems to come from different places according to different passengers) - but now believe itís emanating from roof console. Need to take it out at some point and see if I can pack it out, but holding/pushing it home seems to cure it.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Yes mine is getting worse. Definitely not temp related. I picked mine up late November 2018. Beautiful car but had few bits fall off/need replacing and also dealer (Thames motors in tunbridge wells) have been awful and caused more damage.

Iíll get some more recordings myself when I can, but tbh they donít always come through on videos. Definitely like yours though, when you engage the gear something is vibrating either due to engine/gearbox shake or smoothing that is rotating is causing it. Pretty shoddy IMO, relieved you guys have same issue, so itís not just me!

Need to go to next Alfa meet up in south east/london area to pick garner second opinions from other Alfa owners.

I had this in the early days, a rattle coming from the center console when gear was engaged at idle, either reverse or drive. Was told by dealer that there was a technical notice on it and he cured it. Said it was injector related. Mines a diesel so have no idea if this is a similar issue to yours. It has never reappeared.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardOfYork View Post
I have noticed an annoying, intermittent rattle (2017 veloce) - very difficult to determine source (seems to come from different places according to different passengers) - but now believe itís emanating from roof console. Need to take it out at some point and see if I can pack it out, but holding/pushing it home seems to cure it.
Someone I know of had this and it was loose wiring harness above the headliner.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
GMBash likes this.
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

I had a rattle that sounded like that in the video on my month old veloce. I could stop it by pressing on the passenger door card. When I took a closer look at the door card with the door open i found that the door card wasn't properly fitted, I could have pulled it off if I'd wanted to.

I could get my fingers in between the card and metal door down where the speaker is!

I pushed the card with a good bit of force along the vertical edge of the door card above the speaker and heard some clicking sounds.... I'm assuming that was some clip engaging that had not done so before.

The rattle has almost completely gone, but I do get one from the drivers side occasionally so I might give that one the once over too.
(Post Link) post #12 of 33 Old 08-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Had my car in at Piccadillyís today in Knaresborough. The rattle/creak/noise is no more.

Hope this helps anyone else with similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DDC8E660-11DE-4AF7-AF33-0D83C6FD34A4.jpg (45.6 KB, 90 views)
(Post Link) post #13 of 33 Old 08-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:

Thatís the worst response to be given! Characteristic !
Dazza1976 likes this.
AO Member

Giulia Veloce Squeak\Rattle

Quote:
Had my car in at Piccadillyís today in Knaresborough. The rattle/creak/noise is no more.

Hope this helps anyone else with similar.

This sounds similar to what I believe the issue is. There is some plastic trim on top left of engine bay, quite loose and not as snug as it should be. There is also a thin dark rod that runs the length of the engine bay, bends round and is close to wipers. It has 2/3 hard rubber bumpers on it and I was sure that could be it.

The thing that has thrown me is the fact the sound only happens when the gears are engaged and if it was either of the former things Iíd have expected it to happen even in neutral although I suppose there is more force transmitted through the block and hence the engine bay once the gearbox is engaged.

As you can tell Iím not mechanic but Iím not sure the ones are my dealers are either!

MattMatt1 likes this.

Last edited by Dazza1976; 08-04-19 at 18:31.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce Q4

"noise under bonner area"
(Post Link) post #16 of 33 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

This is the recording I managed to upload. Hope this works and give you guys a sense of the noise.
(Post Link) post #17 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago

any further progress/fix?
(Post Link) post #18 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Hi,

I've uploaded here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6oUzAQwtTw

Any ideas?
Hi

This sounds identical to the creaking/rattling noise I had, which was really depressing me as I feared it may never be fixed. However, it WAS!

Here was my video:

..and here's various bits of info I got from the Alfa garage via email:

Ė "Just to keep you updated, I have a technician from Alfa themselves currently looking at you vehicle to cure the noise. I could hear it but the tech couldnít (which says a lot) Alfa tech can also hear it and thought he had sussed it straight away but was a red herring. He will fix it I'm sure."

...then a few days later:

Ė "It was a bracket on bulk head creaking, if you left your seat belt off you could make the handbrake stay on and could easily replicate it , slight adjustment and perfect now : )"

This seems to have afflicted a few people on the forum so should pretty much be a known fix now. I wish I got more details as to which bracket and where, but hopefully it's at least something.

Good luck, I know how frustrating this is.

Dazza1976 likes this.
(Post Link) post #19 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago

I will not stop until I find this. My rattle OCD is in absolute meltdown. I'm that bad that I can't set off currently without making sure radio is on to drown it out. Ha

Last time it was this bad was on an audi TT and if anyone has ever owned one you'll know what I mean. That car was rattle central (boot hatch especially.. and radio.. And seat... And dash..)
Dazza1976 likes this.
(Post Link) post #20 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloce78 View Post
Hi

This sounds identical to the creaking/rattling noise I had, which was really depressing me as I feared it may never be fixed. However, it WAS!

Here was my video:

https://youtu.be/TMoBPgVcsOw

..and here's various bits of info I got from the Alfa garage via email:

Ė "Just to keep you updated, I have a technician from Alfa themselves currently looking at you vehicle to cure the noise. I could hear it but the tech couldnít (which says a lot) Alfa tech can also hear it and thought he had sussed it straight away but was a red herring. He will fix it I'm sure."

...then a few days later:

Ė "It was a bracket on bulk head creaking, if you left your seat belt off you could make the handbrake stay on and could easily replicate it , slight adjustment and perfect now : )"

This seems to have afflicted a few people on the forum so should pretty much be a known fix now. I wish I got more details as to which bracket and where, but hopefully it's at least something.

Good luck, I know how frustrating this is.

Thanks for that, I did however get one sorted (a few posts up) but it's good to see the various possibilities listed for those still searching.

A tad disappointing there are so many instances of this but tbh there are a few I know who have had new cars from other premium brands and they're having similar, if not worse issues.

I wonder whether PCP finance is to blame?! Rarely used to see a new car about, now see a lot (me being one of them) and people get rid in 3-4 years, are manufacturers thinking there's no point in producing quality anymore??
(Post Link) post #21 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Mine is getting worse and I think perhaps it is bracket mentioned above. Driving me nuts. Shoddy, very shoddy. And the parts my garage ordered from Alfa to repair internal damage they caused were defective on arrival and central arm rest had wrong colour stitching!!!

Good job the car looks beautiful because Alfa themselves need a kick up the arse

(Post Link) post #22 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

I don't think this one appears in any of the videos above. My "rattle" is the passenger seat belt tongue which - assuming nobody is in the seat! - if not in exactly the right location vibrates against the pillar. I aim to position this before every drive and after anyone has used the belt - the tongue positioner slips down the belt. I was relieved when I identified this one insofar it wasn't anything critical.
GMBash likes this.
(Post Link) post #23 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Thanks for that, I did however get one sorted (a few posts up) but it's good to see the various possibilities listed for those still searching.

A tad disappointing there are so many instances of this but tbh there are a few I know who have had new cars from other premium brands and they're having similar, if not worse issues.

I wonder whether PCP finance is to blame?! Rarely used to see a new car about, now see a lot (me being one of them) and people get rid in 3-4 years, are manufacturers thinking there's no point in producing quality anymore??
Apologies OP, don't know how I missed that, time to get to Specsavers maybe?! Delighted yours is fixed, but hope we keep this thread going and my info is useful for anyone else in this situation.

Not sure about the producing quality comment to be honest. Every manufacturer should have a vested interest in ensuring their product is the best it can be, especially with so many forums like this one, on which we can lament poor fit and finish until kingdom come!

Let's just put it down to Vincenzo having a Dolmio day when he was supposed to be tightening up our bulkhead brackets ;-)

GMBash likes this.
(Post Link) post #24 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Mine is getting worse and I think perhaps it is bracket mentioned above. Driving me nuts. Shoddy, very shoddy. And the parts my garage ordered from Alfa to repair internal damage they caused were defective on arrival and central arm rest had wrong colour stitching!!!

Good job the car looks beautiful because Alfa themselves need a kick up the arse

It really sours your opinion pretty quickly doesn't it? Will be interesting to see how our interiors hold together as time goes by.
Dazza1976 likes this.
(Post Link) post #25 of 33 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
This sounds similar to what I believe the issue is. There is some plastic trim on top left of engine bay, quite loose and not as snug as it should be. There is also a thin dark rod that runs the length of the engine bay, bends round and is close to wipers. It has 2/3 hard rubber bumpers on it and I was sure that could be it.

The thing that has thrown me is the fact the sound only happens when the gears are engaged and if it was either of the former things Iíd have expected it to happen even in neutral although I suppose there is more force transmitted through the block and hence the engine bay once the gearbox is engaged.

As you can tell Iím not mechanic but Iím not sure the ones are my dealers are either!

I have had a look at the rod that runs along the top of the engine bay on my Veloce and found it was not secured properly at the top and there was a white clip available behind it. Clipped it up and it is much tauter now so could be a source of rattles for some on here if its unsecured.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
giulia , squeakrattle , veloce

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page