“I love the paddles but never use them!” - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 48Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 52 Old 13-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
“I love the paddles but never use them!”

I’m quite happy with the gearbox and the decisions it makes. What am I missing by leaving it to do all the work instead of using those lovely metal devices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
I use mine every day but only really to engage drive from reverse.
AO Member

County: -Australia
I save them for the twisties

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #4 of 52 Old 13-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskins View Post
I use mine every day but only really to engage drive from reverse.
I still use the selector. Do you just use the + paddle?
( I know I should read the book!)
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I still use the selector. Do you just use the + paddle?
( I know I should read the book!)
Yep! It saves precious seconds lol.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
use them a lot for switching between neutral and drive vv .....
(Post Link) post #7 of 52 Old 13-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

“It saves precious seconds lol.”
So does being too lazy to read the book!
I had a look at the paddles on the Macan at Geneva yesterday and they’re plastic. Despite Autocar saying the Alfa interior materials are “rubbish” compared to the Porsche in a comparison last week.
Top Down, johnafish, ncl and 2 others like this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I’m quite happy with the gearbox and the decisions it makes. What am I missing by leaving it to do all the work instead of using those lovely metal devices?
The ZF-8 auto box is cleverer than any auto box I've driven before and in normal circumstances I don't use the paddles, except for selecting Neutral or Drive.

I will sometimes change down using the paddles when, for example, slowing to enter a roundabout to have the ability to pull away quicker. Though with the torque on tap that really isn't necessary.

When pressing on on a country road, I may use the paddles to change down for a bend though I do find that the box often holds the lower gear longer than I would like, so I'm more likely to use Manual and the paddles for a spirited drive.

Andy
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bowden View Post
The ZF-8 auto box is cleverer than any auto box I've driven before and in normal circumstances I don't use the paddles, except for selecting Neutral or Drive.

I will sometimes change down using the paddles when, for example, slowing to enter a roundabout to have the ability to pull away quicker. Though with the torque on tap that really isn't necessary.

When pressing on on a country road, I may use the paddles to change down for a bend though I do find that the box often holds the lower gear longer than I would like, so I'm more likely to use Manual and the paddles for a spirited drive.

Andy
I too, find the box holds on too long but I noticed the other day that the gear number appears on the dash when using the paddles-it's only taken me 17 months to spot it!
AO Member

County: -Australia
I love going back to auto after flicking over to manual for a stint.
This has been documented in "neat touches" ... if you're in manual, pull both paddles, the lever clicks back to centre the pull the right paddle and it puts you back in drive

alannmss, cue2 and ASRman like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Croston Lancashire
“I love the paddles but never use them!”

I use them a fair bit on the motorway on overtaking manoeuvres for a bit more zip rather than kicking down.

Longer Pull (-) Shifts by 2 D8 -> D6 for example.

Long Pull (+) sticks it back in D Full Auto

You can pull down for longer according to the manual ... but haven’t found the need to as yet

And they also feel lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alfahol Addict, Nicb205 and ASRman like this.

Last edited by matty74; 16-03-19 at 16:13.
AO Member

County: Antrim
I use the paddles for 1 mile of my commute home every day. It's a tight, twisty, uphill road. Also, I always use the paddles when moving from Park to Drive. Apart from that, auto all the way.

When I was younger I constantly played Richard Burns Rally on the PC with my steering wheel and paddles. This is just the grown up equivalent. Unnecessary but just so satisfying.
matty74 and Nicb205 like this.
AO Member

County: Essex
I haven’t got my Veloce yet so forgive the question. In order to place the car in drive when setting off I just need to flick the + paddle? Also, can we switch from auto to full manual whilst driving? Thanks.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketi View Post
I haven’t got my Veloce yet so forgive the question. In order to place the car in drive when setting off I just need to flick the + paddle? Also, can we switch from auto to full manual whilst driving? Thanks.
Yes and yes.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
What would be nice if anyone has the time would be a full post in the form of a list of what does what on paddles...(i suppose we could just read the manual, if it does say what a 'double pull' achieves for example putting it back in auto). i really should have a decent look at it after a year and a half!
Club Member
Membro Premio

I use them for locking it in a particular gear for roundabouts, so it doesn't change up or down while in the roundabout. I also use them prolifically for engine braking when on a twisty road, and again, locking into gear mid corner, then changing up quickly to keep it in the torque band. As well as all of the above. The entire gearbox/paddles set up is completely flawless in my opinion. It makes the diesel Giulia a genuinely seriously quick back road machine without going into silly speeds.
chrisbarbers and MR D4VE like this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicb205 View Post
I love going back to auto after flicking over to manual for a stint.
This has been documented in "neat touches" ... if you're in manual, pull both paddles, the lever clicks back to centre the pull the right paddle and it puts you back in drive

Yes that does select Neutral and reselects drive in auto.

My preference is to push the gear lever to left manual and immediately right to auto avoiding being in neutral.

Andy
AO Member

To go into full manual from auto while driving, do we have to use the gearstick or can we use the paddles?
Club Member
Membro Premio

You can use the paddles. The gear number will come up in the centre display, and after a few seconds, if you don't use the paddles again it reverts to auto. I never use the gear lever.
cue2 likes this.
(Post Link) post #20 of 52 Old 13-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I used the plus paddle instead of the selector today. Much better!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
To go into full manual from auto while driving, do we have to use the gearstick or can we use the paddles?
So far as I am aware, the only way to change to full manual is to move the gear lever over to the left.

Reverting to auto can either be done by returning the lever to the right or by pulling up on both paddles followed by the right paddle only. I prefer the former method as it avoids the one or two seconds spent in neutral.

Andy
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bowden View Post
So far as I am aware, the only way to change to full manual is to move the gear lever over to the left.

Reverting to auto can either be done by returning the lever to the right or by pulling up on both paddles followed by the right paddle only. I prefer the former method as it avoids the one or two seconds spent in neutral.

Andy
Thanks. Sounds easy enough.
AO Member

County: Cambs-
I don't use the paddles at all in A mode (other than for finding neutral and drive ) . I use them now and then while in N mode auto, for precise overtakes rather than using kickdown. Dynamic mode, which perhaps strangely I don't find I use very often, is pretty much all manual paddleshift and Race mode totally so.

I do sometimes find myself stroking them, or running my fingers up and down them! Is that just me?
Nicb205 and Tilum like this.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corstopitum View Post

I do sometimes find myself stroking them, or running my fingers up and down them! Is that just me?
Nope Guilty as charged.......
They are just so damned tactile..... almost sexual !

A feature of the Paddles is the downshifting. If you are approaching a tee junction quickly a long continuous pull on the left paddle will select the gears sequentially, not quite at peak Revs, but at about 5k. It will drop right down to first, but that’s a bit harsh so I tend to stop at second and select first as I stop.

I do use the paddles a few times in a typical week, but never use full manual. I find the way it moves itself back into Auto is just spot on, it seems to sense when you don’t really need to use them, but obviously lets you start again at any time you feel like it.
Corstopitum likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch View Post
Nope Guilty as charged.......
They are just so damned tactile..... almost sexual !

A feature of the Paddles is the downshifting. If you are approaching a tee junction quickly a long continuous pull on the left paddle will select the gears sequentially, not quite at peak Revs, but at about 5k. It will drop right down to first, but that’s a bit harsh so I tend to stop at second and select first as I stop.

I do use the paddles a few times in a typical week, but never use full manual. I find the way it moves itself back into Auto is just spot on, it seems to sense when you don’t really need to use them, but obviously lets you start again at any time you feel like it.
As well as stroking, they surely also deserve some polishing?

I have only ever used the multiple downshift provided by the left paddle in the country for tight bends when I want to come down 2 or more ratios. I've not found it useful around town.

When approaching a roundabout or junction, I've never found a need to override the box's choice by more than one ratio. Perhaps that because I'm normally in Dynamic which downshifts at higher revs than in N.

I've found that in auto the box upshifts can be a bit delayed after a manual downshift, as I've said before. Again this may be down to me being in Dynamic. So in the country when pressing on, I often use Manual. However that's in a Quadrifoglio. With another Giulia version, I'd guess I'd use manual much less, if at all.

One thing I've found with downshifting with the paddles in auto, that one can find yourself deciding to downshift manually at the same moment as the box makes the decision to downshift too. It doesn't happen very often, but it can result in a quite jerky and unnecessarily double down shift.

Andy

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
love , paddles , them”

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page