Alfa QV CEL Limp Low Fuel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 8Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 45 Old 26-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Alfa QV CEL Limp Low Fuel

Hi all, purchased a lightly used (5k mileage) Giulia QV a couple weeks ago. It's a October 2017 build car. Today I was accelerating hard and the car suddenly went into limp mode. I was in race mode but the car reverted to N mode and I was no longer able to select or use the DNA function. I also noticed the car was making a slight rattle noise earlier from the passenger side but that could be unrelated. When accelerating I was slightly low on fuel which could be a factor. It was showing two bars left on the fuel gauge. In fact first I thought the car did run out of fuel but I was still able to drive. Filled up with shell V power but the light stays illuminated and still cannot use the DNA system. Otherwise car drives fine. Going to book in tomorrow with the dealer. Anyone have any ideas what this could be in the meantime? Appreciate any responses in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: New Zealand
This is what happened when I had the left bank solinoid code show. Similar senario. The wiring loom and plug to teh solinoid are tight. It way have been the acceleration that caused it. The code wont reset until the issue is rectified (in my case simply pushing the connector on firmly and giggling the wiring loom) and possibly the CEL is reset (I did this using my MES software first to identify the codes - at which time I used them to find answers on this forum and then to reset the code once I had poked around the sensor wiring loom). The MES has been a good investment. Hopefully that is all yurs is too. It will not be the low fuel situation. I run mine to the red bars at least once a month and can still accelerate without issue. There is a possiblilty yours could also be a faulty fuel pump - there have been a few of these - but until they read the code its impossible to know for sure...
(Post Link) post #3 of 45 Old 27-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the info. I am booking it in today to have it properly scanned and looked at. As I've only had the car less than two weeks it is disappointing it's had an issue with it already. I did read online about a few cars having issues but nothing widespread but seems like the cliche of Alfas is proving itself true at least for me. Did cross my mind to just hand it back to the dealer and swap for an M3. Whilst the M3 is nowhere near as fun or special it should be more reliable. If this is part and parcel of QV ownership then it may well be best to call it quits now before it's too late!

Would be interested to know how many folk with issues early on with fuel pump or wiring have had the issue resolved and then had a trouble free car for the next 20/30/40k mileage?
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
My car will pop a CEL when its just about to run out of fuel - i have learned this through bitter experience!
AO Member

Hey, do not be discouraged, such small things happen, even at 5k. If you read the section here, you will see that there are no serious problems with the QF (except brooking10?). There are mates who have more than 15 to 20 thousand miles without any problems. QF is much more special than the M3.
Go to the dealer, see what the problems are, solve them, and then have the fun with it, it will put lot of smiles on your face always.
(Post Link) post #6 of 45 Old 27-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutp View Post
Hey, do not be discouraged, such small things happen, even at 5k. If you read the section here, you will see that there are no serious problems with the QF (except brooking10?). There are mates who have more than 15 to 20 thousand miles without any problems. QF is much more special than the M3.
Go to the dealer, see what the problems are, solve them, and then have the fun with it, it will put lot of smiles on your face always.
Thanks for your reply. You are right I really do not want to get rid of the car, as I made my decision I prefer the QV in almost every aspect when compared to the German equivalents.

I have had Alfa Assist look at the car this morning and the Engine Light appears to have turned off on its own. However a fault code was recorded on the car stating low pressure fuel. I am thinking it may possibly be related to the fact I was low on fuel and accelerating hard or alternatively there may be an actual issue with the fuel pump. Booking into Alfa next week for full diagnosis.

Not really impressed with the dealership however opting to charge customers for use of a courtesy car, especially on a car of this calibre/price and given the fact it is in the dealership for warranty repair!
AO Member

County: New Zealand
Almost certainly fuel pump. As I say Ive run the tank low on the road many times and never had this issue. There have been a number of fuel pump replacements (check out the US Giulia forums). Im sure thats all it is? Either that or you were truely running on fumes. After 5 or so full iginition cycles codes like that can dissapear on their own but best to have it checked out and mention to them you are aware of fuel pump problems, there should be a bulletin on their system that talks to this...
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRman View Post
Thanks for the info. I am booking it in today to have it properly scanned and looked at. As I've only had the car less than two weeks it is disappointing it's had an issue with it already. I did read online about a few cars having issues but nothing widespread but seems like the cliche of Alfas is proving itself true at least for me. Did cross my mind to just hand it back to the dealer and swap for an M3. Whilst the M3 is nowhere near as fun or special it should be more reliable. If this is part and parcel of QV ownership then it may well be best to call it quits now before it's too late!

Would be interested to know how many folk with issues early on with fuel pump or wiring have had the issue resolved and then had a trouble free car for the next 20/30/40k mileage?
I had an intermittent issue with CEL caused by the connector/wiring to the left side turbo waste gate actuator, like Macca. They replaced the connector and added a wiring loom extension. That was probably 9 months ago and no issues since. My car is an early 2017 car with 20,000 miles on it now.
Get the dealer to fix it and then enjoy it.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. You are right I really do not want to get rid of the car, as I made my decision I prefer the QV in almost every aspect when compared to the German equivalents.

I have had Alfa Assist look at the car this morning and the Engine Light appears to have turned off on its own. However a fault code was recorded on the car stating low pressure fuel. I am thinking it may possibly be related to the fact I was low on fuel and accelerating hard or alternatively there may be an actual issue with the fuel pump. Booking into Alfa next week for full diagnosis.

Not really impressed with the dealership however opting to charge customers for use of a courtesy car, especially on a car of this calibre/price and given the fact it is in the dealership for warranty repair!
In practice I think Ive rarely been charged the loan car fee quoted when Ive taken my car in for warranty work; no bill, no charge..
That was with Giuliettas.
AO Silver Member

Quote:

No charge was made for my courtesy car when my Giulia Quadrifoglio went in for warranty or even its services at the dealer (TH White/Johnsons Swindon) from whom I bought it new. I did have the free servicing deal which might make a difference and I was content with a Fiat 500 as the courtesy car.

Time to change your dealer perhaps?

Andy
cue2 and ASRman like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bowden View Post
No charge was made for my courtesy car when my Giulia Quadrifoglio went in for warranty or even its services at the dealer (TH White/Johnsons Swindon) from whom I bought it new. I did have the free servicing deal which might make a difference and I was content with a Fiat 500 as the courtesy car.

Time to change your dealer perhaps?

Andy
always offered free courtesy car for service or warranty, even when i binned mine in the 'kerbing' (even though i dont usually take them up)which was my fault. although never been given Giulia.

does it make a difference if you buy 2nd hand?
(Post Link) post #12 of 45 Old 28-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well the CEL is completely off for now and full DNA and Race modes are available. Car does not seem to be making any strange noises apart from a slight buzz/rattle coming from the passenger side at low speeds when the window is open. Its very subtle and could have been there before. Have called a different dealer who is not charging me for a courtesy car so the car is booked in on 11 March just for a check over. If the CEL does not re-appear then it would appear as though the car ran out of (or got very close to) fuel which caused the error to flash up. I have read other threads on here and on the Facebook page of owners getting a CEL when fuel is very low so it very well could be just that.

In relation to the slight rattle/buzzing/almost diesel like noise when appears to be coming from the left of the car... Is this a normal aspect of the DI V6 lump? Or is it a sign the fuel pump may be on its last legs?
AO Member

Quote:
Well the CEL is completely off for now and full DNA and Race modes are available
Do you know the error code(s)?
(Post Link) post #14 of 45 Old 28-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

I do not have the error codes but they were sent to the dealership so I will find out on the 11th. All I know about the codes is that they indicated low fuel pressure.
(Post Link) post #15 of 45 Old 09-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

To update this thread - CEL unfortunately re-appeared today. This time fuel was complete full so definitely rules out low fuel. I am starting to think low fuel pump now. Good job I had the car booked in Monday I was thinking not to take it in if the CEL didn't re-appear. Imperfect perfect timing! Will keep you updated on what the dealer suggests. Hopefully it's just the fuel pump and straightforward fix.
(Post Link) post #16 of 45 Old 11-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok update - dropped car off at Research Garage Nuneaton this morning. Call back within couple of hours they found a turbo charge bypass valve loose/unplugged. Reconnecting it seemed to do the trick. Tested the rest of the system and found no faults. Car drives beautifully, if anything feels even pokier than before. Hopefully this is a permanent fix!
AO Member

Quote:
they found a turbo charge bypass valve loose/unplugged
Funny.

But good that all good now, enjoy!
(Post Link) post #18 of 45 Old 11-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Agreed it is strange. But the service manager seemed very genuine so I do believe that there was a pipe/valve that had come loose. Whether or not that resolves the problem permanently however is yet to be known! Fingers crossed but I'll continue to hold my breath, at least for a few weeks!
AO Silver Member

If it's the passenger side turbo wastegate connector then that's a known issue on earlier cars (the wiring was slightly too short). The fix is a wiring loom extension and a new plug. If you get the CEL again then it probably means you need it resolved with the extension. Had mine done. It could go weeks between CELs but always the same fault code.
matty74 likes this.
(Post Link) post #20 of 45 Old 11-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Is the wastegate connector the same as the turbo bypass valve? As the latter is what they claimed had worked itself loose. As you can tell I know bugger all about car technicals 😂
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Is the wastegate connector the same as the turbo bypass valve? As the latter is what they claimed had worked itself loose. As you can tell I know bugger all about car technicals Ÿ˜‚
Yes. Wastegate and turbo bypass valve both refer to the same item.

Wasn't this the same issue with Brooking's car Smarty ?
AO Silver Member

Probably the same issue with Brooking's car but it was never properly diagnosed before he got rid of it.
AO Member

I've had the same problem, my dealer said the pins were slightly corroded, I'm not even sure I believe them. It's been fine since.
(Post Link) post #24 of 45 Old 11-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well the cel is off for now. I've driven it hard today to make sure she's well and hasn't missed a beat, so far. I suppose it's a case of wait and see if it reappears unfortunately.
(Post Link) post #25 of 45 Old 11-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

VirtualM - what was the fix in your case and how long has it been since?

Also read through the Booking thread, seems very unfortunate indeed. However the one positive I can take away from today is that the dealer pinned down and diagnosed the issue as the turbo bypass valve within an hour of dropping the car off. Seems like they are already aware of the issue.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
alfa , cel , fuel , limp , low

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page