Alfa QV CEL Limp Low Fuel - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 8Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Yes I think Brooking was very unfortunate in that it would seem he had the same issue but at the time it was a new problem that dealers (and probably AR) weren't aware of.
Any issues have to be logged by the dealer with AR Technical which I believe is so that they could pick up any recurring problems, fully diagnose and then implement changes if required. As a result, they have released some software updates and, in the case of the turbo bypass valve issue, new parts. Same goes for the alarm roof module.
This is very good news for future and current owners and seems to be working well.
Unfortunately Brooking was an early adopter and didn't want to wait for AR to come up with a fix so he moved on, which was his prerogative. I was happy to let the dealer sort it when it happened to mine and by that point AR Italy knew of the issue and had a fix. Its been perfect ever since.
As early adopters sometimes these things happen. As long as they have a way of resolving them and they're not serious mechanical issues then I'm happy.
ASRman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: New Zealand
Yay. I think I was the first to post on this sthread and ms suggeston was the solinoid valve. I just pushed my plug in to seat it correcty, reset the code and 3000 miles later never has re appeared. Fingers crossed!
(Post Link) post #28 of 45 Old 12-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Well I'm glad it's not a major issue and just a minor niggle. Worst case scenario, CEL comes back on, I run it by the dealers and they replaced the loom and plug, job done. I think Booking should have waited it out, I test drove the M3/4 and whilst they are nice cars they aren't issue free either. A friend of mines father has a 2018 M3 competition pack which he tells me is currently sat in the dealership having a new engine fitted!

I wonder how straightforward a fix it is to get the new wiring loom and connector to fit ourselves and save another trip to the dealership? I think I will drop NJS a line and see whether they can do this as a preemptive strategy
(Post Link) post #29 of 45 Old 12-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Macca993 you were spot on buddy. Seems like the dealer has adopted a similar approach with my car. Re-seated the connector which had come loose. Hopefully like you I won't get any more issues with it!
AO Member

Im sure you will be fine. Thats the great thing about this place - we are all here to help each other out. Its fantastic to have these guys on board - it makes the ownership proposition a lot less daunting when there is a knowledge base starting to build amoingst the group...and we need it as the dealers seem somewhat challenged at times to address the issues (partly as Italy slows them down).
Andy Bowden, Finguz and ASRman like this.
(Post Link) post #31 of 45 Old 23-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Further update. EML light sadly re-appeared today during heavy acceleration! Seems this car is extremely sensitive. Re-booked into Beechdale now on the 2nd April to check it out. Starting to understand why Brooking chopped in for an F82 sooner rather than later ...
(Post Link) post #32 of 45 Old 23-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Does anyone have any instructions to check the turbo bypass valve manually to check for any play/looseness? If I can sort a temporary fix myself in the interim that would be good.
AO Silver Member

It's a known issue and there's a known fix so just take it in.
After half a dozen restarts the CEL will clear usually.
The issue is the wiring isn't long enough and (as the engine moves around, particularly under heavy acceleration) it pulls on the socket. The fix, as previously mentioned, is a harness extension. I don't think there's much you can do without getting the extension fitted to resolve it.

I think Brooking got an E63 AMG by the way, although he does still hanker after a Quadrifoglio.

I suspect there's a bulletin on it. If not, the dealer needs to raise a case with AR Technical and they'll tell them what the fix is. In my case AR UK Technical had to get AR Italy involved but UK should be well aware of this issue and the fix by now.

Last edited by smarty156; 23-03-19 at 13:05.
(Post Link) post #34 of 45 Old 23-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Smarty, I under the extension is a permanent fix. But if someone can point me to where I can find the wastegate connector attachment for inspection that would be useful.

I'm not ready to part with it just yet, enjoy driving it far too much to ponder over that. As a driving machine to me it's better than its competitors in almost every sense. It's just these darn niggles are tiresome. I may even show my dealer this thread (hope nobody minds) just to clarify exactly what the issue is and hopefully they can resolve with the extension. Afterall it seems to be a fairly common issue. If it is in fact the wiring issue again and not something else. I will keep you all updated. As the car still has very low mileage just gone 5k. Im hoping once these early niggles are sorted the car will serve me well.

Thank you all again for help and information it's absolutely appreciated.
(Post Link) post #35 of 45 Old 23-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

I've checked the solenoid valves and you guys are right. The passenger side one had come off completely! I've re-seated for now but will ask for a loom extension when it goes in.
(Post Link) post #36 of 45 Old 23-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Oddly though the connection or loom didn't seem tight at all as others have reported. Simply slid the connector back on locked it with the yellow locking tab and still plenty of slack left in the loom. No idea how it came loose unless the technician at the dealership failed to seat it correctly.
(Post Link) post #37 of 45 Old 23-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

It wasn't even loose. Completely off altogether...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190323_142047_1553352334861.jpg (63.2 KB, 37 views)
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRman View Post
It wasn't even loose. Completely off altogether...
Hopefully that will be the final time you have an issue with this.

Like you mine didnt seem any tighter that side than the other but the socket wasnt fully clicked in in my case and 3000+ miles later no issue...
AO Silver Member

When they added the extension the tech did tell me he also fitted a new connector so maybe it's the connector block that's really the problem.
Glad you found it and sorted it.
Once mine was sorted I've had no other issues and that was probably 9 months and 7,000 miles ago.
(Post Link) post #40 of 45 Old 24-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thank you both for your help. If this is indeed the fix then perhaps the most concerning thing of all is how the Alfa Tech managed to seat it without bothering to check the yellow locking tab was slid all the way forward... Although that conclusion is yet to be determined!
matty74 likes this.
(Post Link) post #41 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Hello guys. Lights come back on. Looks like I may need a new connector as when I checked the bypass valves both were connected. However the right side one (facing the bonnet) was tighter as that's the one thay had come off before and I had secured and zip tied. The left side one was still on but a bit looser. The code is P00C0. This code points to Turbo number 2. Does this relate to the left side or right side bypass valve (again facing the bonnet). Tia
(Post Link) post #42 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Also forgot to mention. The assist chap plugged out the left side valve (facing engine) and the code didn't change. Which draws the conclusion the turbo number 2 is on the passenger side (UK).
(Post Link) post #43 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Sorry drivers side (UK) . *****
(Post Link) post #44 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Yep, that will be the one that needs the wiring loom extension and new connector.
(Post Link) post #45 of 45 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Yep. Strange because initially the problem was with the right hand side solenoid but since I zip tied it that side seems fine. I've zipped both sides now so it may do the trick. If not I'll take it back for a new connector.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
alfa , cel , fuel , limp , low

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page