The mess that is stop start... - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 55Likes

AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty156 View Post
You don't even need to raise your foot off the brake. Just release enough pressure and it will start up.
yeah thats what i meant, i dont take my foot off completely, just release the pressure a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Berkshire
I seem to have lost stop start in my 17 plate car, the battery shows 14.6v while running according to Obd.

I don’t miss it, I do very few miles around “towns”, so I haven’t been too concerned.
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutterbuck View Post
I seem to have lost stop start in my 17 plate car, the battery shows 14.6v while running according to Obd.
So you have correct charging, and running at max allowed (when battery is well charged it drops to order of 13.2V as far as I seen) - thats it. S&S works based on many factors, but in terms of battery aside of its measured temperature, in what state it is - MES displays %-age charge condition/charge level according to IBS and estimated voltage during next start (if start would happen at this time). To read these, you need to connect to Body Computer.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew159 View Post
The stop start on my Apr'17 Giulia Super stopped working about 2 weeks ago. I took to the dealer and they loaded an updated version of the software. After driving it for a few kilometres it's become effective and works perfectly again (straight after loading it wasn't and they told me that the car had to be driven at least 30kms first).
Stopped working again….maybe time to get a battery charger? Lucky I always like my Alfas despite some of their faults...it's part of the fun in owning them!!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Stopped working again….maybe time to get a battery charger? Lucky I always like my Alfas despite some of their faults...it's part of the fun in owning them!!
That's disappointing, I had hoped that the software update you received would have changed things. The flawed logic which disables certain circuits if battery charge is low is yet to be improved it would seem.

The non-availability of STOP/START is of no concern to me as I generally disable it.

Of much greater concern is that the heated rear window can be disabled with low battery charge.

Andy
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Take it back. I expect they'll replace the battery next. That's what they did with mine and it's still working fine again.
(Post Link) post #57 of 156 Old 20-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulia Petrol

Quote:
I think the conclusion from this thread is that - if you consistently do short journeys, especially in winter - then you will have to invest in a charger.
CTEK seems to be commonly used, and also is the OEM for the Alfa branded charger (funny how they do one....).
AO Platinum Member

How soon do I have to get the charger on the Stelvio and look like I'm mocking the neighbour across the road with his Tesla X model?
Well, he bought one to replace the S type Tesla but he's been driving a loan car for a long time now since they took it in for a warranty job on the heater.
AO Silver Member

23 months. I drive about 40 miles everyday and haven't needed a charger. I have been measuring voltage at the 12v charging terminal under the arm rest and I have found some odd charging behaviour. Will post my observations on the other thread discussing thread once I make some sense of it.
AO Platinum Member

I no longer commute 60 miles per day as I retired early. I sometimes do short distances and currently use the heated seats ,if taking my wife to the station for example. I don't reckon 2 years at this rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U696783 View Post
I think the conclusion from this thread is that - if you consistently do short journeys, especially in winter - then you will have to invest in a charger.
CTEK seems to be commonly used, and also is the OEM for the Alfa branded charger (funny how they do one....).
I discovered that my HRW wasn't working. Reported it to the dealer when it was booked in for its second service at the beginning of December (Dc 2016 Model QV) and they replaced the battery. I've already had the low battery warning light up once since and charged it using my CTEK. Seems to be OK now but time will tell! Only do low miles circa 5,000pa. Still loving the car though...
AO Silver Member

County: West Lothian
I'm putting mine in for the heated screen issue. Driving to work the last week with no heated rear screen or heated mirrors with thick frost is a pain in the arse. They're also looking at a rattle somewhere low down at the rear of the car. I'm guessing the undertrays. Given that it's going in to Uncle Arnold, I may get it back with in the next 3 months...
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

bought a Ctek mxs 5.0 the other day, and i popped it on to charge today. i put in on at about 9.30 this morning. i checked it an hour or so later, and it was on stage 4, Absorption, "Declining current", so it was about 80% (assuming ive understood it the charger manual correctly) it was still in stage 4 when i switched it off at about 3:30 this afternoon so its had about 5 hours charge. will see how it goes over the next few days.
AO Member

County: Edinburgh

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_ View Post
Given that it's going in to Uncle Arnold, I may get it back
There you go, fixed it for you...
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Still no start stop
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
Its not really great that in 2019 you need to buy a charger for new cars
cue2 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

I'd say needing to charge the car questions the thing being fit for purpose. Especially if you park on the street , as I do.
As for feeling the need to do your own OBD plug-ins for a car while its under warranty, that's crazy.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

i agree. It is a bit annoying, and not good enough.

But what else do i do? until alfa provide a fix for it? changing the battery seems to be the only thing they can do.. Shouldnt be anything wrong with it. it was 7 degrees this morning, engine up to temp, warm enough in the car. no reason the start stop shouldnt work, as the battery had some charge yesterday. but it didnt. Didnt need the rear screen on today, so i couldnt test it. Its due a service soon so i'll raise my issues with the car when i book it.

a car battery charger is a useful tool to have, so i dont mind buying it (this is not my only car) but it hasnt made any obvious difference so far.

It hasnt, yet, distracted from the joy of owning the car. Alfa do need to fix these things though if they want me to buy another one in a couple of years.
AO Silver Member

Saw someone on Facebook had a new battery under warranty and they've replaced it with an AGM one.
Should be AGM on a car with stop start I'd have thought. Maybe they've (Alfa) seen sense now?
AO Silver Member

As some of you may remember, my battery and BCM were replaced due to HRW and SS not working less than 2 months ago. HRW has been working so far as did SS cutting in quickly. However the SS did not work/cut in the whole 30 min journey today. Battery is new so it's not that. The voltage indicated in the 12v plug extension I have under armrest has been showing ~14.4 V last 2 days, normally it sits ~13.2 V when presumably the State of Charge is sufficient. There appears to be a complex logic to the whole charging algorithm which also controls functionality of HRW, SS etc. It seems to charge at 14.4v when battery SOC as calculated by/reported by the IBS is below a threshold (80%??) and if above the set threshold it drops the charging voltage to 13.2V but raises to 14.4V in quick increments to 14.4V under braking which drops back to 13.2 soon as foot is off brake pedal. This behaviour is not observed during engine braking, only foot braking in all DNA modes, irrespective of whether SS is enabled or disabled (my usual setting).

I wonder if SS is disabled when charging at 14.4V meaning the SOC is not high enough for engine to stop and start? However absurd that logic sounds as the car still appears to have enough charge to stop and starting by driver! I will continue to observe and see if SS works when charging at 13.2V.

I read on VARTA site that fitting AGM battery to non AGM would cause issues with BCM logic due to different charging characteristics. So not sure how they replaced with AGM under warranty??

=========================================
Giulia 2.0 T4 MA (2017), Triumph Speed Triple 'R' (2016).

Previous:
159 2.2 JTS - 2008 - Goodbye Feb 2017.
Ducati 899 Panigale - 2014 - 2016.
Kawasaki Ninja ZX 6R - 2004 - 2014.
=========================================
AO Member

Member car:

4C

I think I read somewhere in Giuliaforums that Alfa has switched to AGM batteries for 2019 cars, at least for US models.
AO Silver Member

This morning indicated charging voltage was 13.2 gradually rising to 13.8v over a 30 min journey. SS cut in when I stopped at end of journey, so I think there is some truth to SS not working if SOC is lower than a threshold and charging voltage is maxxed out at 14.4V!
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
i got official fca doument with how ibs and s&s works. aside of many other conditions eg. related to ac temperature set vs measured difference etc soc must be above 75% soh (health) 60%, battery temperature above -23Cdeg and sof (predicted voltage during next startup ) above 8.2V if i remember correctly. mes does not have 2 separate % parameters and in my observations ss works when mes reports above 67%.

Last edited by epsonix; 26-01-19 at 09:58.
AO Silver Member

I have the official Mopar Tech Authority system description for the battery and charging system and am aware of what you have posted @epsonix . It doesnt however clearly describe charging logic and the cut off voktages and charge levels where individual systems are disabled.

On my return journey today, over 20 miles the indicated charging voltage was 14.4v all the way and the SS did NOT cut in even once!! Same journey, outside temp 8degC , cabin air con off, temp set manually to 22 degC with medium fan speed (exactly how I have been driving over last couple of weeks whilst observing voltage).

So looks like the SS will only work if battery SOH/SOC is above the specified threshold which means the alternator will charge at ~13.2 to 13.8V . If the BCM/IBS has determined the battery needs charging at full alternator capacity of ~14.4 to 14.5V then SS will be disabled! The HRW was working both this morning and evening so that is not affected by the charging voltage. It is however affected by the battery SOH/SOC and when it stops working that would mean the battery is well below the 80ish % charge perhaps??

Not complaining about SS not working as I normally leave it off. The observations however could help determine battery conditions.

Perhaps AR should move to AGM battery indeed which are better at SS and charge/discharge.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalgod23 View Post
On my return journey today, over 20 miles the indicated charging voltage was 14.4v all the way and the SS did NOT cut in even once!! Same journey, outside temp 8degC , cabin air con off, temp set manually to 22 degC with medium fan speed (exactly how I have been driving over last couple of weeks whilst observing voltage).
Of course as mentioned before, auto start/stop is not ONLY determined by battery voltage, but by a great many additional parameters.......
So it could be any one of those is preventing start/stop kicking in

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
mess , start , stop

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page