Crashy Ride - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 56 Old 19-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
Crashy Ride

My Quad has just hit 27000 miles and ive noticed that the ride is a lot crashier and more figity than it was previously.

Has anyone else noticed the ride comfort decreasing as the miles go on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Could the adaptive damping be stuck in hard mode?
(Post Link) post #3 of 56 Old 19-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Could be but it feels oddly bouncy as well, kinda feels like a shock absorber is not working right
AO Member

County: -
Are you on winter tyres or summer? The summers will feel harder in the colder weather.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
AO Member

Still wearing Corsa's and down to their limit? I had the same symptoms with mine, switched to mps4s and much smoother, even in cold weather.
(Post Link) post #6 of 56 Old 19-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
On MP4S with about 5 mil of tread left right now, temp hasnt dropped that much ...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskins View Post
On MP4S with about 5 mil of tread left right now, temp hasnt dropped that much ...
Interesting, is it happening all the time? I've only just swapped to my MPS4S and the ride is great.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
My Quad has just hit 27000 miles and ive noticed that the ride is a lot crashier and more figity than it was previously.

Has anyone else noticed the ride comfort decreasing as the miles go on?
I'm at 19,000 miles and nothing has changed.

As has been said, it might be a damper on its way out or the control of the dampers failing.

How does the ride compare in A, N, D(Normal), D(Soft) and Race? If all were similar, it might indicate a control failure.

When I had a suspension control failure on my Mito QV the ride became very harsh. Fortunately it was a just software glitch which reset itself.

Andy
AO Member

Can you reset these cars by disconnecting the battery for a short while. ?

AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

31000 miles and no sign of any problems. Still wafts around like a Jag in A mode.
(Post Link) post #11 of 56 Old 20-12-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
So I experimented a bit on the way in today, it seems to ride smoother when the Dampers are set to medium. Soft appears to be a bit too soft now and the car kinda wobbles about.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverleaf535 View Post
Can you reset these cars by disconnecting the battery for a short while. ?

Yes, but it is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

Andy
cloverleaf535 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Alfa do have a habit of fitting not the best quality dampers.

The Giulietta ones (Made by sachs) could be quite poor after not that many miles.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 648
County: Antrim
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
31000 miles and no sign of any problems. Still wafts around like a Jag in A mode.
It amazes me how well they ride in soft...Even with lowering springs in its still really comfortable..

I recon a duff shock is causing this, the front shocks in my RS4 went (common problem) and it felt very crashy while at the same time being bouncy
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage
I have also found a bit more waywardness at the rear I am on 28,000 miles and a couple of time the roadholding has seemed a bit vague, it has only been a couple of weeks after its last "dealer" service. I am going to get the shocks checked out.
AO Member

County: New Zealand
My car is a March 2017 delivery and only covered 8000 miles. last week its developed a noise that occurs over small bumps. Sounds like the rear passenger side shock, top mount or similar from experience. Could be a suspension bush or spring perch. Im not even sure if there are sway bars on the rear? I guess it could be a bearing. None of these things seem right for road only 8000 miles. I would have it checked out but the dealer is 200 miles away and no doubt would need to wait for parts etc. I jacked the car up today but the rear passenger side wheel feels ok. Tyres are more worn on this side than the other (center to inside shows the least read, outside has plenty). Id guess Im up for new tyres in 2-3000 km. These are the Corsa and I have a new set in my garage for when they are ready. Bit stumped really, doesn't seem a safety concern and handling hasnt changed so bit puzzled...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca993 View Post
last week its developed a noise that occurs over small bumps. Sounds like the rear passenger side shock, top mount or similar from experience. Could be a suspension bush or spring perch
Had the same issue. Booked in for first service and they changed the top mounts (only front).
Quite now. But the ride quality wasn't effected before or after, just the noise at cold when passing small road bumps, after driving for 3-5 min nothing.
AO Member

ionutp. Thanks for the intel. Very interesting to know. I am not going mad then thinking this isnt possible on an 8000 mile car. Its very hard for me to say, it could be coming form the front, but I suspect the rear and the noise is consistent with the sound I heard in my e39 M5 when the rear top mounts went. Those e39 5 series were prone to the issue but would usually cover at least 20k miles before the issue surfaces. Similar weight and general performance in the M5 variant to the QV I guess but still they are obviously a weak point...thanks again - would be interested to hear from others with similar issue. This may also be the issue the OTP is experiencing?
AO Member

Please keep us updated on your progress with the dealer here. Iím now fairly certain the noise Iím getting from the rear is a failing shock. I have not identified any handling traits yet but will go for a proper drive today and advise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #20 of 56 Old 07-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Well mine is back at the dealer to have another look at pretty much all the issues reported at the service which they didnt identify
AO Member

Quote:
Well mine is back at the dealer to have another look at pretty much all the issues reported at the service which they didnt identify

Iím pretty certain I must have a bad drop link or lower shock bush. I have inspected visually but hard to tell without a hoist. I believe over time this will manifest as unpredictable rear settling after giving over rises etc. there could be a connection to your issue itís Hard to say so please keep us posted. The only other similar report is the bad top mount on an owners car front suspension. Iíve looked at the parts diagram and the tears donít appear to have a traditional top mount set up ,but again hard to know!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #22 of 56 Old 07-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
well after 4 weeks at MV Northampton they replaced the diff, nothing was changed with the suspension and it still rides the same.

Off to AHM it goes ... on the 25th...
AO Member

Bet your not a happy bunny. I'm guessing car is under warranty but at AHM you will have to pay??

(Post Link) post #24 of 56 Old 07-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverleaf535 View Post
Bet your not a happy bunny. I'm guessing car is under warranty but at AHM you will have to pay??

Well at this point I just want somebody who sees these cars every day and owns one themselves to drive it and tell me if I am imagining things if there is nothing wrong.

Also I dont understand how MV were able to justify replacing a £5,000 diff but were not able to take a punt on replacing a £600 shock...
AO Member

Yeah can see your frustration with that. Dam.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
crashy , ride

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page