Any manual QF owners? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 9Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 28-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Any manual QF owners?

I understand that the vast majority on this forum are UK or US based, and therefore the manual QF was not an option. But are there anybody around, apart from me, with a manual QF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Zürich
Quote:
Originally Posted by rassi View Post
I understand that the vast majority on this forum are UK or US based, and therefore the manual QF was not an option. But are there anybody around, apart from me, with a manual QF?
Hello fellow manual gearbox owner, I also have a manual one and I absolutely love it. The only issue I faced was that the gear shift when cold would be horrendous experience due to the ridiculously thick 75W140 gearbox oil. After talking with ZF they sent me the spec of the recommended oil for this gearbox and it was found to be 75W80. I decided then to change the oil and I used something in the middle so I went for 75W90 Motul 300 and the gearchange is like butter, very precise very good.
What are your experiences with the manual quadrifoglio?
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
I'd love a go in a Manual one but having driven an Auto one on track at a reasonable pace i think I would struggle to keep up with it with a stick!
(Post Link) post #4 of 28 Old 29-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlfisti View Post
Hello fellow manual gearbox owner, I also have a manual one and I absolutely love it. The only issue I faced was that the gear shift when cold would be horrendous experience due to the ridiculously thick 75W140 gearbox oil. After talking with ZF they sent me the spec of the recommended oil for this gearbox and it was found to be 75W80. I decided then to change the oil and I used something in the middle so I went for 75W90 Motul 300 and the gearchange is like butter, very precise very good.
What are your experiences with the manual quadrifoglio?
I love the manual, even after the 7 speed DCT box of my previous F10 M5 and M3, but very interesting comment about the gearbox oil. I find 1st gear almost impossible to get in, when cold, unless double clutching and thought maybe a different oil could help. Will try the 75w90, thanks for the suggestion!
(Post Link) post #5 of 28 Old 09-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just as a follow-up: the car is booked in with Alfa Romeo, for the very sticky gearbox (1st especially and second gear) when cold, as well as a whining/loud whistling noise between 30-70 km/h when cold.

Car is still under warranty, but will see if this is repairable or new gearbox needed. Will update when decision taken.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Did any RHD market get a manual QV?
AO Member

Quote:
I love the manual, even after the 7 speed DCT box of my previous F10 M5 and M3, but very interesting comment about the gearbox oil. I find 1st gear almost impossible to get in, when cold, unless double clutching and thought maybe a different oil could help. Will try the 75w90, thanks for the suggestion!
In this weather i can imagine the effort for engaging 1st gear..
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Did any RHD market get a manual QV?
Nope! Not worth the tooling/engineering costs I would think
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskins View Post
Nope! Not worth the tooling/engineering costs I would think
And the Auto box is much superior to the Manual.

Andy
(Post Link) post #10 of 28 Old 10-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bowden View Post

Andy
You forgot to add “IMHO”
AO Silver Member

My previous 2.2 JTS gearbox was always tight and slightly crunchy. After 30k miles I decided to change to Redline MT90 and the change was dramatic..after a couple of 100 miles of settling in the changes were butter smooth and positive. Alfa tend to use relatively poor oil in the gearboxes.
Top Down and rassi like this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
You forgot to add “IMHO”

Humility is not one of my strengths.

The comment was made having experience of driving both auto and manual, so perhaps I should have appended IME.

Andy
rassi likes this.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

I've also tried both gearboxes, but 31k miles in the auto vs about 5 miles in the manual. I came away thinking the manual was horrible, kind of gearbox you'd find in a tractor, but I've read reports that they get a lot better with age.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bowden View Post

Andy
I don't doubt that it is, but owning a C63 now, I do miss a manual somewhat. I know the C63 doesn't have the worlds best auto box, but some of the elements I miss are not related to the quality of the box.

For instance, and I know this is childish, but I sometimes really miss the ability to give the throttle a little blip, or to feather the clutch on set off so I can have some revs to enjoy without barreling up the road like my backside is on fire.
hector56 likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Just as a follow-up: the car is booked in with Alfa Romeo, for the very sticky gearbox (1st especially and second gear) when cold, as well as a whining/loud whistling noise between 30-70 km/h when cold.

Car is still under warranty, but will see if this is repairable or new gearbox needed. Will update when decision taken.
Fellow manual owner here. Must say I've noticed both, going from 1st to 2nd in the morning is not a good idea, but only for the first shift. So I'm making a habit of going 1st to 3rd for that first shift, and after that it's all good. Have the whistling noise as well, but I read that that is common with this box.

Did a few track days with it, and it is a very nice experience. I must say, I like the box when you're really on it, and I like the feel of the shifts when everything is nice, really adds to the experience.

Of course, every now and again I screw up when the box is insufficiently warm and I'm trying to go 1=> 2 (and not shifting perhaps as securely as I should) and then I grit my teeth. But that's a small price to pay for the pleasure of rowing your own gears.

That being said, I would probably have been just as happy with the auto, I do think. It's giving up a little enjoyment/awareness that you get with the manual vs. the comfort, noise and performance you get with the auto.
146Nick and rassi like this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterBelgium View Post
Fellow manual owner here. Must say I've noticed both, going from 1st to 2nd in the morning is not a good idea, but only for the first shift. So I'm making a habit of going 1st to 3rd for that first shift, and after that it's all good. Have the whistling noise as well, but I read that that is common with this box.

Did a few track days with it, and it is a very nice experience. I must say, I like the box when you're really on it, and I like the feel of the shifts when everything is nice, really adds to the experience.

Of course, every now and again I screw up when the box is insufficiently warm and I'm trying to go 1=> 2 (and not shifting perhaps as securely as I should) and then I grit my teeth. But that's a small price to pay for the pleasure of rowing your own gears.

That being said, I would probably have been just as happy with the auto, I do think. It's giving up a little enjoyment/awareness that you get with the manual vs. the comfort, noise and performance you get with the auto.
I have a Veloce, with the auto, 8 shifts.
What I don't like is the number of shifts.
When you're accelerating strong, it's shifting up so fast (and smooth) that you don't get much adrenalin.
Next step is an electric car with no shifts : a nightmare for me.

Off course all this is done for smoothness and consumption.
And on a calm ride, it's very fine.

Maybe it's a different feeling in the QV ?

Happily, I have enough kicks in my 4C when shifting
AO Silver Member

On the autobox in the manual paddle shift mode you can rev up to the redline in D mode and get the thrill of using less gears for longer.

The Mercs have 10! Electric, once you get bored of the instant torque you will lose interest quickly as there is no character.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
How do the glorious flappy paddles work on the manual box?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalgod23 View Post
On the autobox in the manual paddle shift mode you can rev up to the redline in D mode and get the thrill of using less gears for longer.

The Mercs have 10! Electric, once you get bored of the instant torque you will lose interest quickly as there is no character.
Is the autobox then skipping a gear, for instance going from 3th to 5th ?
Thanks !
AO Silver Member

Not sure what you mean. In manual shift mode it stays in gear selected until you shift up/down sequentially or when the software decides to shift if it's not safe to stay in that gear for too long for the engine speed. It does hold gears for longer than other autos I have driven.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Petrol

Probably apocryphal, but I recall that the reason the manual is not available in the UK is that it would not achieve a 5 star NCAP safety rating, as in a crash the clutch pedal could injure the driver.
Solution - sell the one without the clutch.
AO Member

No really. That was only the asumption in MotorTrend's head2head test of the Giulia against the M3 why Alfa decided not to sell the manual in the US. Their asumption was based on a case that occured in one model of Smart (I guess), where the clutch pedal chopped off the dumy's foot during crash testing.

However, there was never a plan for manual RHD Giulia - too much engineering for a spec no one is really buying. And from MY2019 manual Giulia is no longer available anywhere (not sure about the QF though - but manual QF option was slowly disappearing from various Eurepean markets throughout last year anyway).
rassi likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalgod23 View Post
Not sure what you mean. In manual shift mode it stays in gear selected until you shift up/down sequentially or when the software decides to shift if it's not safe to stay in that gear for too long for the engine speed. It does hold gears for longer than other autos I have driven.
I should have written : skip a gear myself. If you're going long into one gear, and you want to stay in the next gear also for a longer time, than better skip one gear ?
(Post Link) post #24 of 28 Old 03-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just to follow up on the very notchy 1st and 2nd gear when cold and the whistling sound: The gearbox oil was changed from Alfa Romeo’s 75W140 to Castrol Syntrans B 75W, as used by BMW with the same gearbox in their F80 M3/M4, and the gearbox is now smooth as butter and the whistling sound is gone. The best 53 euro I have paid any mechanic (any Belgian owners should go to Performance Shop Geel) and has improved the enjoyment of the gearbox and the car, even, a lot.

Thanks for the tip New Alfisti!
Ruskins likes this.

County: Netherlands

Member car:

Giulia Q 2017

Manuals are the best!

Greetings! Another one of that rare breed of owners of a manual Giuilia Quadrifoglio here. Mine is a 2017 car and I specifically looked for a manual. I have been driving Italian cars for a long time and love the manual boxes. They all have an issue when cold going from one to two, it is part of the breed. I own two old Ferrari’s and they are the same. Once warm, no problem. I also have the whistling noise when the box is cold and was told “they all do that, sir!”. But thanks for the tip to use a different spec of oil. I will try that at the next service. Driving a manual for me is part of enjoying the car; an automatic is just not the same. I will not go as far as a friend of mine of whose strong opinion is that “automatics are for women and old men” but I certainly can understand him.
We seems to be a small group on this forum and apparently the last of the dying breed of clutch lovers!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
manual , owners

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page