Wet, cold feet on turning left - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 02-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Berkshire
Wet, cold feet on turning left

I may have a condensation issue with my Aircon. Whenever I turn sharp left half around an egg cup full of water pours onto my left foot. It's quite refreshing but it's not expected behaviour.

Car is booked in with thames in Slough for an investigation. I will update here with information once I have it.
Finguz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutterbuck View Post
I may have a condensation issue with my Aircon. Whenever I turn sharp left half around an egg cup full of water pours onto my left foot. It's quite refreshing but it's not expected behaviour.
I like your turn of phrase!
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia QV

Like the staggered wheel set up on the Veloce, a perfectly dry interior is now an optional extra at additional cost.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
probably a blocked aircon drain.....
AO Silver Member

I have had it a couple of times last year when I wore summer flip flops. I think it's the Aircon drain or condensation. Hasn't happened this year and I have been driving a lot in summer footwear. Probably jinxed it. 😁
(Post Link) post #6 of 38 Old 06-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Update: The leak has been found, and its damaged an ECU. One is on back order, with no ETA currently. The mechanic wants to strip out the entire dash to see if there are any other issues.

I have a white diesel guilia as a loan car which is nice but I am quite annoyed now. I have had the car for about a year and a half and so far it's been back twice for misfires and now for this.

I need to write to both ARUK and FCA on this.
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia QV

Where is the water getting in?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Update: The leak has been found, and its damaged an ECU. One is on back order, with no ETA currently. The mechanic wants to strip out the entire dash to see if there are any other issues.

I have a white diesel guilia as a loan car which is nice but I am quite annoyed now. I have had the car for about a year and a half and so far it's been back twice for misfires and now for this.

I need to write to both ARUK and FCA on this.
When you say damaged an ECU, what engine is yours? On the 2.0 petrol the engine ECU is in the middle of the engine bay so can't be that. Am guessing it could be the body ECU or similar?

We need more details if possible CB, including what the source of water is, so other than fellow owners can be aware. Thanks.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalgod23 View Post
When you say damaged an ECU, what engine is yours? On the 2.0 petrol the engine ECU is in the middle of the engine bay so can't be that. Am guessing it could be the body ECU or similar?

We need more details if possible CB, including what the source of water is, so other than fellow owners can be aware. Thanks.
It would indeed be useful if everyone who posted made clear which engine variant they are talking about i.e. Diesel, 2.0 TB or V6
(Post Link) post #10 of 38 Old 08-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

2.0 TB.

Leak manifested as water dripping into driver and passenger foot wells. Driver side drips were over the foot rest. Passenger drips iroughly central. It's definitely air con related as present when air con is running.

The take home for other users is the leak is only minimal within the cabin - the carpets were only ever damp and never waterlogged,

Its difficult to get more clarity regarding the ECU, corrosion was mentioned.

Last edited by Cutterbuck; 08-07-18 at 14:02.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
2.0 TB.

Leak manifested as water dripping into driver and passenger foot wells. Driver side drips were over the foot rest. Passenger drips iroughly central. It's definitely air con related as present when air con is running.

The take home for other users is the leak is only minimal within the cabin - the carpets were only ever damp and never waterlogged,

Thanks @Cutterbuck; looking forward to hearing eventual outcome.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
2.0 TB.

Thanks CB. If you could contact them and find out which ECU they were talking about that would be most useful. Look forward to hearing about the fix. All the best.
(Post Link) post #13 of 38 Old 12-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Thanks CB. If you could contact them and find out which ECU they were talking about that would be most useful. Look forward to hearing about the fix. All the best.
It's been described as "The body ECU".

I have an update from the dealer: All parts except the ECU are due to reach them on the 25th of this month. The ECU is still on backorder.

I have raised a case with AR now, it's simply not acceptable to delay starting a warranty repair by almost three weeks due to parts supply issues, and that three weeks presumes the ECU is sourced and supplied with the other parts that I have a date for.

I have also asked what they intend to do about the reliability of the car, (people may remember that the car has been back for two "misfire issues" already).

Next step is raising a case with FCA finance as the car is ona 4 yr PCP contract, I have spoken to them but they want everything in an email - which I hope to get around to in the next few days.

Last edited by Cutterbuck; 12-07-18 at 20:48.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
Quote:
It's been described as "The body ECU".
Body ecu is located inside, in the passenger footwell, so makes sense it's damaged if water has been dripping there....
(Post Link) post #15 of 38 Old 17-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Some feedback from the dealer. Who have been fantastic.

Parts on order are:

F0000050548409 CABLE HARNESS
F0000050548442 CABLE HARNESS
F0000050552327 BODY COMPUTER
F0006000627934 SEALING GASKET
F0000156140123 ORNAMENT

(I have no ruddy idea what the ornament is but that's the first and only piece that has arrived so far)

Case open with AR - Who last contacted me on friday saying they were trying speed things up. I haven't heard from them since.

Thames are being fantastic as ever, diesel speciale as a loan for as long as I need it, they provided the list above when asked and have kept me in the loop with frequent update emails. I won't name the young lady dealing with this mess but I cant fault them, just AR.

I should add that I have amazingly bad luck. If anyones car was going to suffer issues it was going to be mine.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Hopefully the parts will arrive before the big shutdown in August..!
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Quote:
Some feedback from the dealer. Who have been fantastic.

Parts on order are:

F0000050548409 CABLE HARNESS
F0000050548442 CABLE HARNESS
F0000050552327 BODY COMPUTER
F0006000627934 SEALING GASKET
F0000156140123 ORNAMENT

(I have no ruddy idea what the ornament is but that's the first and only piece that has arrived so far)

Case open with AR - Who last contacted me on friday saying they were trying speed things up. I haven't heard from them since.

Thames are being fantastic as ever, diesel speciale as a loan for as long as I need it, they provided the list above when asked and have kept me in the loop with frequent update emails. I won't name the young lady dealing with this mess but I cant fault them, just AR.

I should add that I have amazingly bad luck. If anyones car was going to suffer issues it was going to be mine.
My 2.0 petrol super started doing this on Thursday, yesterday the fan stopped working (hot drive home!) wondering if the two are related, water getting to fan motor, checked the fuse in the passenger footwell under carpet and there looks to be an ECU thingy may be the body control ECU?, fuse ok and all other AC stuff working, air from vents is still cool, flow rate now dependent on speed of car! Call to Alfa dealer in the morning!
(Post Link) post #18 of 38 Old 23-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgarrick View Post
My 2.0 petrol super started doing this on Thursday, yesterday the fan stopped working (hot drive home!) wondering if the two are related, water getting to fan motor, checked the fuse in the passenger footwell under carpet and there looks to be an ECU thingy may be the body control ECU?, fuse ok and all other AC stuff working, air from vents is still cool, flow rate now dependent on speed of car! Call to Alfa dealer in the morning!a
If you have the water issue I had then I would insist the dealer address it asap. All of my issues have been caused by water damage.
(Post Link) post #19 of 38 Old 27-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Almost a month in and Thames are still waiting for parts - ETA next Friday.

Car off road for over three weeks so far.
AO Silver Member

When mine went in for turbo coolant hose o ring leak parts took 3 weeks plus time to fix. That was after I chased up via ARCC in Italy!! At least they gave me a diesel Giulia courtesy car. AR need to do better on parts delivery if they are to keep customers long term post warranty.
(Post Link) post #21 of 38 Old 30-07-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Update: Last part is now expected to arrive with Thames on the 7th of next month...
AO Silver Member

Ridiculous timescales!
(Post Link) post #23 of 38 Old 01-08-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Ridiculous timescales!
Actually quite depressing. I think the "poltential" delivery date will be five weeks from when the car was dropped off with the dealer, or six weeks from when the problem was reported to the dealer.

Apparently the delay is due to the fact that every loom / wiring harness is custom built to the spec of the car, which means that if you need a new one. Then some chap in italy must pull out your spec, and sit there with a soldering iron and hand craft one. Really, am not sure I believe this.The labour costs must be huge, surely they just have a standard part and connect the bits they need to connect?

AR Italy are blaming Thames, saying that Thames didnt use the correct priority ordering system. Thames dispute this saying that thi is impossible as everything has to be done according to a raised AR case and thus they didnt actually place an order, AR did.

My AR italy case handler hasn't proactively contacted me since the day after I first raised the case, and on the last call informed me that they might be able to consider somekind of goodwill gesture once the reapir was complete.

Most annoyingly it looks as if I will be doing a long planned roadtrip to Le Mans, then onto Vendee - In the wife's Qashqai.
AO Silver Member

I can understand.how you feel. When mine was in for a few weeks for parts (turbo coolant pipe leak) , my case handler did try and contact me once a week..I had to chase up a few times to hasten things though. In the end due to the delays, I was given a FCA voucher to redeem in a website. I opted for a Bosch coffee pod machine which I think costs about £60. Not that it made the experience any better. Anything more than a week for repairs is unreasonable.
(Post Link) post #25 of 38 Old 08-08-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Update: Last part is now expected to arrive with Thames on the 7th of next month...
Unsuprisingly the part hasnít arrived. Dealer has no update from Alfa, nor have I, (my Alfa case handler hasnít contacted me in four weeks now). (Six weeks from initially reporting the fault now and five weeks without the car).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
cold , feet , left , turning , wet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page