Q.V. 30k service - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ecain63
  • 1 Post By ecain63
  • 1 Post By Alfakj

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 04-02-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Q.V. 30k service

I just happened to see this on YouTube. Pretty expensive 3rd service! 8h job to change a belt and $2000 lol. Hope itís not the same here? https://youtu.be/QRxGvEi4a8E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Dorset
Yeah, it is apparently a big job on the 3rd service. But, it's a £60k+ car so what's the issue?

Alfa might be jumping the gun with an early belt change but it's better that than lots of early failures.
bucketbot likes this.
AO Member

County: -Netherlands

Member car:

159-2.2JTS

+1, when you can buy one service price wont be a problem.
I wish i had one, but would have to rob a bank first
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecain63 View Post
Yeah, it is apparently a big job on the 3rd service. But, it's a £60k+ car so what's the issue?

Alfa might be jumping the gun with an early belt change but it's better that than lots of early failures.
It is only an accessory belt not a timing belt as the V6 engine has a chain, so it does strike me as expensive.

Also there may be a difference between US and UK service intervals.

According to my owner's manual the service interval for the Quadrifoglio is 9,000 miles, (strictly 15,000 km) and it is the fourth service, ie 36,000 miles, at which the belt must be changed with a caveat that it might need changing earlier:

"Areas that are not dusty: advised maximum distance 36,000 mi (60,000 km). The belt must be replaced every 4 years, regardless of distance travelled.
Dusty areas and/or heavy conditions (cold climates, urban driving, long periods of idling): the recommended maximum distance is 18,000 mi (30,000 km). The belt must be replaced every 2 years, regardless of distance travelled."

My belief is that it's the spark plug change which drives the fourth service cost.

Exactly as ecain63 says if you can afford to buy a Quadrifoglio the service cost shouldn't be something to worry about.

In my 13 years and 176,000 miles of 156 GTA ownership, petrol, repairs and servicing must have amounted to more than the purchase price.

Andy
AO Member

County: Milano
Try £1500 for 7000 miles and 2 years in a 4c and thatís with a decent discount.
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Just trying to get my 4th/36000 mile service sorted. I'm getting quotes from two dealers. I have established it's a "7 hour service" and requires the car to be with the dealer for two days. Book price is £1,286+VAT so £1,543. Already had a quote for £1,200 all in. I'm talking to Palmers and Motor Village who I think are two of the largest in the UK by volume (seem to remember being told this by Naz ages ago, could be wrong) and neither have done a 4th service on a Quad yet. They get to practice on my car . I'll let you know how I get on.
(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
Mines gonna be due this in a month or 2 - gonna use AHM.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskins View Post
Mines gonna be due this in a month or 2 - gonna use AHM.
I'll be doing the same when mine is due next year, there's no way I would trust a dealer with this service.
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia QV

Mine's going to be going to AHM for the 4th service as well, unless I purchase the Mopar extended warranty and they insist on dealer service.
AO Member

Love how it's absolutely fine to say negative things about dealers on here, but you get flamed on the Facebook page for even thinking it 😂😂
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamfisti View Post
Mine's going to be going to AHM for the 4th service as well, unless I purchase the Mopar extended warranty and they insist on dealer service.
An independent service is absolutely fine so long as it's approved and genuine parts are used.
Hamfisti likes this.
AO Member

If some main dealers have yet to do the big belts job (and get to practice as 146nick says) how did AHM get to have a good reputation? Did they do factory courses?
Maybe owners should put a diy guide together!!!
cue2 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Well my local dealer has replaced the wiring loom on their demo car so I have no issue trusting them to do the 4th service.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Palmers have been really good with me (I know other people haven't had the same experience), and they arranged the three free services when strictly speaking my car didn't qualify. They also pick up the car and drop it off at my house so it ticks the lazy box. I paid £1200 for an M3 inspection II 15 years ago so I don't think that's too bad. Motor Village didn't want to beat that quote so I guess it's reasonable.

I'm happy to use independents at some stage, but I also trust the dealer. The car only has 6 months warranty left, so I expect this to be the last service while under warranty. I'll ask them to sniff around for any work that needs doing while they are there. Last time I did this, the dealer found lots of things wrong and it was a good move. Booked in for 4th July. I'll keep you posted.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
30k , service

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page