I'm out :( - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 130Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2k View Post
Hey, sarky

Ok, I know an Alfa wouldn't really be an Alfa without electrical issues, but I think constant fiddling with iffy wiring is one area of Alfa ownership most of us could do without. No real need to swap to Bosch ECUs, etc and it goes without saying the Busso and the Giulia's V6 are far better than VW's iffy VR5/6, but those silly, thin, slack loom connectors made out of old McDonalds Happy Meal toys are definitely an area for improvement.
As with Silverchariot, I had the connector changed and the wiring loom extension and haven't had a CEL since. That was the only one of ever had. The car is now 2 1/2 years old and has done 25000 miles.
"Constant fiddling with iffy wiring" does not describe my experience of the car and having been on here a while, isn't the experience of others either. There was an issue with this particular part and it was fixed. No other wiring issues at all.
smarty156 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 3,262
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2k View Post
Hey, sarky

Ok, I know an Alfa wouldn't really be an Alfa without electrical issues, but I think constant fiddling with iffy wiring is one area of Alfa ownership most of us could do without. No real need to swap to Bosch ECUs, etc and it goes without saying the Busso and the Giulia's V6 are far better than VW's iffy VR5/6, but those silly, thin, slack loom connectors made out of old McDonalds Happy Meal toys are definitely an area for improvement.
The Busso is an Alfa engine. Pre - dates Falfa. The Giulia is a Ferrari engine - they would have no way of getting back after their obvious engineering incompetence as evidenced by the 3.2 & 2.2 JTSís.

And Falfa binned the Busso for the most pathetic of reasons - couldnít meet latest emissions!! They redesigned heads for the JTSís. VVTís could have gone on the Busso with belts and it would have been a damned sight more accurate than the GM derived engine. Does the Giulia not have belts?

JTS pistons could have been fitted and it would have been good for 320 bhp. JTS pump could have been driven from the crankshaft. And it would have cost a lot less. And they would still have had an engine plant in Milan/Linate/Arese.

Now they are a refugee company, wandering around the world begging for support.

The diesels are Fiat - they can keep them. The 1750 is dead - what a waste of resources. The twin spark was good, especially the 1.8 and could have continued in production for baby Alfaís.

Either way, Alfa do not produce any engines, so they ought not be called Car Makers. Iíd be happy to sort out the wiring problems, if they were wrapped around an engine such as the Busso. Instead, they offer a Ferrari engine, which I canít afford. Or a bunch of Falfa engines, some of which go into white vans.

Sell to BMW or VAG. VAG would have it sit just below Lamborghini eventually.

Currently it sits below Fiat and Arbarth.
sizewell is online now  
Status: 1 Subaru, 2 Bussos,noAlfa!
AO Silver Member
 
mj2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
County: Herts
Posts: 1,531
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty156 View Post
As with Silverchariot, I had the connector changed and the wiring loom extension and haven't had a CEL since. That was the only one of ever had. The car is now 2 1/2 years old and has done 25000 miles.
"Constant fiddling with iffy wiring" does not describe my experience of the car and having been on here a while, isn't the experience of others either. There was an issue with this particular part and it was fixed. No other wiring issues at all.
Give it another couple of years and you'll soon understand what I'm on about

Basic thing is, transient issues aside (e.g. rust issues in the 70s, brilliant but quick-to-wear suspension in gtv/gt/147/156, etc), Alfa's reputation for less-tahn-stellar reliability is mostly down to electrical faults. And most of the time this is down to poor component placement / badly designed loom, or the lousy conectors. If Alfa could have sorted the electrical issues when they first appeared (e.g. using Bosch rather than Marelli) their reputation would probably have been every bit as good as BMW / Mercedes once they'd got over the 70's rust reputation.

This is something an Alfa enthusiast will put up with on a 2nd hand / classic car, but it's not something the owner of a new car would / should expect, especially when an electrical fault is caused by something as simple as a loom being too short.

Last edited by mj2k; 1 Week Ago at 18:40.
mj2k is offline  
Status: 1 Subaru, 2 Bussos,noAlfa!
AO Silver Member
 
mj2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
County: Herts
Posts: 1,531
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizewell View Post
The Busso is an Alfa engine. Pre - dates Falfa. The Giulia is a Ferrari engine - they would have no way of getting back after their obvious engineering incompetence as evidenced by the 3.2 & 2.2 JTS’s.

And Falfa binned the Busso for the most pathetic of reasons - couldn’t meet latest emissions!! They redesigned heads for the JTS’s. VVT’s could have gone on the Busso with belts and it would have been a damned sight more accurate than the GM derived engine. Does the Giulia not have belts?

JTS pistons could have been fitted and it would have been good for 320 bhp. JTS pump could have been driven from the crankshaft. And it would have cost a lot less. And they would still have had an engine plant in Milan/Linate/Arese.

Now they are a refugee company, wandering around the world begging for support.

The diesels are Fiat - they can keep them. The 1750 is dead - what a waste of resources. The twin spark was good, especially the 1.8 and could have continued in production for baby Alfa’s.

Either way, Alfa do not produce any engines, so they ought not be called Car Makers. I’d be happy to sort out the wiring problems, if they were wrapped around an engine such as the Busso. Instead, they offer a Ferrari engine, which I can’t afford. Or a bunch of Falfa engines, some of which go into white vans.

Sell to BMW or VAG. VAG would have it sit just below Lamborghini eventually.

Currently it sits below Fiat and Arbarth.
Personally I'd love to see them hook up with Tesla and produce a really pretty, kick-butt performance EV.

But given my earlier comments about wiring, I'd rather someone other than FCA did the loom, thank you very much
sizewell likes this.
mj2k is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome