Tyres for the Quadrifoglio - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 283Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 875 Old 20-01-17 Thread Starter
Status: Skint but happy
AO Member
 
146Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 759
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Tyres for the Quadrifoglio

I've moaned on another thread about the lack of grip I'm getting. It really is pretty bad, and I was being a tad dozy on the motorway this morning and had to stand on the brakes. The fronts wanted to lock way before I thought they should so it's not just rear end grip that's affected. It wasn't close or scary but it could have been if my doziness was worse.

Looking into it, it looks like the P Zero Corsas are track focused tyres that don't work well in the cold. Have a look at this different between pirelli p zero vs p zero corsa - Page 1 - Supercar General - PistonHeads. A quote from one post "AM actually made you sign a disclaimer saying that you understood that the tires were useless below 7c."

I'll also draw your attention to the fact that BlackCircles.com (normally a pretty cheap site) has the rears at 327 each. http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogu...?tyre=34726731

Yikes.
146Nick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Italy trip comedown
AO Member
 
gazc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gloucestershire
Posts: 695
Garage
Before ordering I did go and price up some tyres in all the possible sizes on blackcircles. IIRC.....

17's - 440 a set
18's - 800 a set (runflat makes a difference otherwise more like 650)
regular 19's (not a U.K. Option in configurator but should be orderable as parts) 900 a set (and about 1700 for rims)
Quadrifoglio 19's 1100 a set I think for the corsas
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
gazc is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Posts: 316
If you dig into winter tyres as you've suggested you might it would be good to share your findings here. I'm getting my QF next Tuesday and given what I've heard from yourself and others I am going to be very cautious indeed until March or so. I may just leave DNA in Normal mode mostly during the initial run in.
thrillhouse is offline  
Status: Trapped in Arnold Clark's phone system.
AO Silver Member
 
Ali_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Lothian
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
I've moaned on another thread about the lack of grip I'm getting. It really is pretty bad, and I was being a tad dozy on the motorway this morning and had to stand on the brakes. The fronts wanted to lock way before I thought they should so it's not just rear end grip that's affected. It wasn't close or scary but it could have been if my doziness was worse.

Looking into it, it looks like the P Zero Corsas are track focused tyres that don't work well in the cold. Have a look at this different between pirelli p zero vs p zero corsa - Page 1 - Supercar General - PistonHeads. A quote from one post "AM actually made you sign a disclaimer saying that you understood that the tires were useless below 7c."

I'll also draw your attention to the fact that BlackCircles.com (normally a pretty cheap site) has the rears at 327 each. http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogu...?tyre=34726731

Yikes.
If you do a search on tyre size, it's easily the most expensive. Conti Sport 5s and Pilot Sports 2s are 100 less, and probably better tyres for year round! I'd still buy winters though. Reminds me of when the M3 CSL came out and owners were horrified when they had zero grip in the wet.
Ali_ is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Posts: 316
I hope I'm not the only person somewhat bemused by Pirelli having what seems a lot of very different tyres sharing the same family name... simple it is not.
thrillhouse is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 875 Old 20-01-17 Thread Starter
Status: Skint but happy
AO Member
 
146Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 759
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_ View Post
If you do a search on tyre size, it's easily the most expensive. Conti Sport 5s and Pilot Sports 2s are 100 less, and probably better tyres for year round! I'd still buy winters though. Reminds me of when the M3 CSL came out and owners were horrified when they had zero grip in the wet.
The M3 CSL came with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups that are semi-slick, they were very obviously track tyres and would be horrible in the wet. The PZero Corsas (despite Corsa being Race in Italian ) seem to be more of a combination road and track tyre. Pirelli claim the wet performance is "Excellent". https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/...corsa#/details

The problem seems to be the low temperature performance.
146Nick is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 875 Old 20-01-17 Thread Starter
Status: Skint but happy
AO Member
 
146Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 759
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse View Post
If you dig into winter tyres as you've suggested you might it would be good to share your findings here. I'm getting my QF next Tuesday and given what I've heard from yourself and others I am going to be very cautious indeed until March or so. I may just leave DNA in Normal mode mostly during the initial run in.
Caution is good, but you can still have some fun, as long as it's in a straight line... Leaving in N won't help much, it still develops all the horsepower in N. If there is overboost in RACE then God help us all, but I think the mode doesn't affect power.
146Nick is offline  
Status: supporting a bank near you
AO Silver Member
 
Top Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 4,926
I was pleasantly surprised before ordering to see how much cheaper the tyres will be for the Super compared to the 19" I have on the Brera. Sorry I know this is a little off topic.

PS Tyre threads normally attract someone to pitch in saying how great their Acceleras are, cant wait!
TheGrimJeeper and Larry92 like this.
Top Down is online now  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
Caution is good, but you can still have some fun, as long as it's in a straight line... Leaving in N won't help much, it still develops all the horsepower in N. If there is overboost in RACE then God help us all, but I think the mode doesn't affect power.
Was thinking traction control will be more eager in N, I understand is at its most intrusive in A.
thrillhouse is offline  
Status: -
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Hugh Myles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sligo, Ireland.
Posts: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
I've moaned on another thread about the lack of grip I'm getting. It really is pretty bad, and I was being a tad dozy on the motorway this morning and had to stand on the brakes. The fronts wanted to lock way before I thought they should so it's not just rear end grip that's affected. It wasn't close or scary but it could have been if my doziness was worse.

Looking into it, it looks like the P Zero Corsas are track focused tyres that don't work well in the cold. Have a look at this different between pirelli p zero vs p zero corsa - Page 1 - Supercar General - PistonHeads. A quote from one post "AM actually made you sign a disclaimer saying that you understood that the tires were useless below 7c."

I'll also draw your attention to the fact that BlackCircles.com (normally a pretty cheap site) has the rears at 327 each. http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogu...?tyre=34726731

Yikes.
Interesting, would the anti collision/fancy pants cruise control/super duper new brake system not have stopped you Nick before you hit something ? Would love to know who to blame if you did hit something because the system could not take into account the extra distance needed due to the P Zero's dislike for cold weather.
Hugh Myles is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 875 Old 13-10-17 Thread Starter
Status: Skint but happy
AO Member
 
146Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 759
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

I've ordered Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss all round (980 black circles) and they are being fitted on Thursday next week. The fronts are the same size as stock, the rears are slightly wider at 295 as 285s aren't available yet (US forum reports no rubbing problems). I'll let you know how I get on. My Corsas are still mostly OK after 14k miles, the outer edges on the fronts are pretty much gone and the rears are around 1mm from the wear indicators, that's after 14,000 miles. Not bad.

I know I'm a scratched record on the subject but most of the QVs on here arrived after the weather improved and you haven't experienced the terror of cold Corsas. January and February were no fun and I would strongly advise no-one to take on a British winter on the Corsas. At best it will be no fun, at worst... well you know what the worst can be. I don't believe in winter tyres in England (recent marketing exercise), but "extreme summers" are a no-go so a year-round tyre like the pilot sport should be a winner.
Tilum likes this.
146Nick is offline  
Status: In RACE mode
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 277

Member car:

Giulia QF

I'm torn between getting some winters to run for a few months or getting some less extreme summer tyres like the Michelins. I still have 5mm left on my Corsas after 10k.
SilverChariot is offline  
Status: Tifoso di Toro
AO Member
 
Lambrate FS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Italy, UK and PRC
County: Milano
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
I've ordered Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss all round (980 black circles) and they are being fitted on Thursday next week. The fronts are the same size as stock, the rears are slightly wider at 295 as 285s aren't available yet (US forum reports no rubbing problems). I'll let you know how I get on. My Corsas are still mostly OK after 14k miles, the outer edges on the fronts are pretty much gone and the rears are around 1mm from the wear indicators, that's after 14,000 miles. Not bad.

I know I'm a scratched record on the subject but most of the QVs on here arrived after the weather improved and you haven't experienced the terror of cold Corsas. January and February were no fun and I would strongly advise no-one to take on a British winter on the Corsas. At best it will be no fun, at worst... well you know what the worst can be. I don't believe in winter tyres in England (recent marketing exercise), but "extreme summers" are a no-go so a year-round tyre like the pilot sport should be a winner.
Performance on none winter compound tyres drops off around 7-8 degrees C so I base my choice to go the winter route on that basis, rather than marketing.
Lambrate FS is offline  
Status: In RACE mode
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 277

Member car:

Giulia QF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrate FS View Post
Performance on none winter compound tyres drops off around 7-8 degrees C so I base my choice to go the winter route on that basis, rather than marketing.
The thing is, British winters are very variable. If we have a mild one then winter tyres are a bit of a waste of time.
146Nick likes this.
SilverChariot is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 875 Old 13-10-17 Thread Starter
Status: Skint but happy
AO Member
 
146Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 759
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrate FS View Post
Performance on none winter compound tyres drops off around 7-8 degrees C so I base my choice to go the winter route on that basis, rather than marketing.
But then the winters don't work well above those temperatures. Temperatures across all winter months span the ranges of winter vs non-winter tyres, that's why I'd prefer an all season tyre and not have to worry about it. The marketing comment was down to the fact that I didn't even know winter tyres existed a few years ago and now they are a "must". If we lived in St Petersburg I'd be right up for it, plus studs, but we don't.
SGG, Top Down and bucketbot like this.
146Nick is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 875 Old 13-10-17 Thread Starter
Status: Skint but happy
AO Member
 
146Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 759
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverChariot View Post
I'm torn between getting some winters to run for a few months or getting some less extreme summer tyres like the Michelins. I still have 5mm left on my Corsas after 10k.
difficult. The corsas are very special when the weather is right and they have been warmed up, but are very un-special when it's not. I've had plenty of instances (outside of the cold months) where the tyres weren't warm enough and I had a moment. They need heat to grip and town/motorway doesn't generate it, even in the summer. If you only do fast driving then it may be worth the ball-ache of switching tyres twice a year, but if not I'd switch the out for something more flexible. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to stretch out the corsas for much longer.
146Nick is offline  
Status: In RACE mode
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 277

Member car:

Giulia QF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
difficult. The corsas are very special when the weather is right and they have been warmed up, but are very un-special when it's not. I've had plenty of instances (outside of the cold months) where the tyres weren't warm enough and I had a moment. They need heat to grip and town/motorway doesn't generate it, even in the summer. If you only do fast driving then it may be worth the ball-ache of switching tyres twice a year, but if not I'd switch the out for something more flexible. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to stretch out the corsas for much longer.
Yep, I'm considering going down your route.

Like you say, the Corsas are ace when warmed up but lethal when cold (even when the weather is mild). Example yesterday: Stuck in a traffic jam for 10 minutes so the tyres are cold. Got to the traffic lights eventually and "booted it" (not even half throttle) off the roundabout onto the dual carriageway. Cue massive tail out moment as it changed up from 1st to 2nd until the computer reined it in. Luckily, I was in Dynamic mode. If I'd been in RACE mode I would have been in the hedgerow crying.
SilverChariot is offline  
(Post Link) post #18 of 875 Old 13-10-17 Thread Starter
Status: Skint but happy
AO Member
 
146Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 759
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverChariot View Post
Yep, I'm considering going down your route.

Like you say, the Corsas are ace when warmed up but lethal when cold (even when the weather is mild). Example yesterday: Stuck in a traffic jam for 10 minutes so the tyres are cold. Got to the traffic lights eventually and "booted it" (not even half throttle) off the roundabout onto the dual carriageway. Cue, massive tail out moment as it changed up from 1st to 2nd until the computer reined it in. Luckily, I was in Dynamic mode. If I'd been in RACE mode I would have been in the hedgerow crying.
Yep - that's the one. They are not appropriate tyres to supply on a car that is marketed as a normal, albeit fast, car. There will be a lot of crashed cars this winter. Hopefully no-one here, hence why I keep wanging on about it.
146Nick is offline  
Status: In RACE mode
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 277

Member car:

Giulia QF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
Yep - that's the one. They are not appropriate tyres to supply on a car that is marketed as a normal, albeit fast, car. There will be a lot of crashed cars this winter. Hopefully no-one here, hence why I keep wanging on about it.
It did put a smile on my face though AFTER... I guess it's that feeling of cheating death!
SilverChariot is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 2,127
Completely agree re the Corsas.
I'll be mostly driving my other car (which has all season tyres on) during the winter months.
smarty156 is offline  
Status: Waiting for Stelvio QV
AO Platinum Member
 
OperationAlfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 23,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
I've ordered Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss all round (980 black circles) and they are being fitted on Thursday next week. The fronts are the same size as stock, the rears are slightly wider at 295 as 285s aren't available yet (US forum reports no rubbing problems). I'll let you know how I get on. My Corsas are still mostly OK after 14k miles, the outer edges on the fronts are pretty much gone and the rears are around 1mm from the wear indicators, that's after 14,000 miles. Not bad.

I know I'm a scratched record on the subject but most of the QVs on here arrived after the weather improved and you haven't experienced the terror of cold Corsas. January and February were no fun and I would strongly advise no-one to take on a British winter on the Corsas. At best it will be no fun, at worst... well you know what the worst can be. I don't believe in winter tyres in England (recent marketing exercise), but "extreme summers" are a no-go so a year-round tyre like the pilot sport should be a winner.
Best move you will make. It will transform the car.
146Nick likes this.
OperationAlfa is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
tpmmpt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
County: -
Posts: 1,405

Member car:

Giulia QV

im going to order the teledials and get some allseason or witner tyres on them. based ont his thread and the vagaries of the winter here (im in east anglia, well east saxonia) so no cold northern worries for me, would i be better off getting actual winters or all seasons, given i will put the corsas back on come spring/summer?
tpmmpt is online now  
Status: Loving Giulia
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Sussex
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmpt View Post
im going to order the teledials and get some allseason or witner tyres on them. based ont his thread and the vagaries of the winter here (im in east anglia, well east saxonia) so no cold northern worries for me, would i be better off getting actual winters or all seasons, given i will put the corsas back on come spring/summer?
Don't think there are any all seasons available yet. I wanted some too. Going to go down the winter route, but not on an extra set of wheels. Where are going getting the teledials from tpmmt?

Corsas struggling for traction the other day when wet and 13c...
horsepower27 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
normallybuybmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sheffield
County: South Yorkshire
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
I've ordered Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss all round (980 black circles) and they are being fitted on Thursday next week. The fronts are the same size as stock, the rears are slightly wider at 295 as 285s aren't available yet
Did you defiantly need the 4Ss? There's a number of alternatives:-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tyres.jpg (158.9 KB, 73 views)
normallybuybmw is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
tpmmpt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
County: -
Posts: 1,405

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower27 View Post
Don't think there are any all seasons available yet. I wanted some too. Going to go down the winter route, but not on an extra set of wheels. Where are going getting the teledials from tpmmt?

Corsas struggling for traction the other day when wet and 13c...
i know naff all about tires will get my old man to get his tire friends to fit, but isn't the restarter of the thread fitting all season? are Michelins hes fitting not all season, or just less extreme than the corsas?

Not sure where im gettin the teledials from, dont really want to use fleabay, but ned is not offering, i will get another quote from my dealer and work it out after that. if massive saving on ebay and what appears a reputable company selling them on there, i will probably go that way. ideal world would get them off ned.
tpmmpt is online now  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
quadrifoglio , tyres

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome