Tyres for the Quadrifoglio - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 325Likes

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmpt View Post
i know naff all about tires will get my old man to get his tire friends to fit, but isn't the restarter of the thread fitting all season? are Michelins hes fitting not all season, or just less extreme than the corsas?

Not sure where im gettin the teledials from, dont really want to use fleabay, but ned is not offering, i will get another quote from my dealer and work it out after that. if massive saving on ebay and what appears a reputable company selling them on there, i will probably go that way. ideal world would get them off ned.
I can do them for you for 1,500 inc VAT but they are cheaper on ebay than I can do so you are better buying those ones

Ned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
I've ordered Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss all round (980 black circles) and they are being fitted on Thursday next week. The fronts are the same size as stock, the rears are slightly wider at 295 as 285s aren't available yet (US forum reports no rubbing problems). I'll let you know how I get on. My Corsas are still mostly OK after 14k miles, the outer edges on the fronts are pretty much gone and the rears are around 1mm from the wear indicators, that's after 14,000 miles. Not bad.

I know I'm a scratched record on the subject but most of the QVs on here arrived after the weather improved and you haven't experienced the terror of cold Corsas. January and February were no fun and I would strongly advise no-one to take on a British winter on the Corsas. At best it will be no fun, at worst... well you know what the worst can be. I don't believe in winter tyres in England (recent marketing exercise), but "extreme summers" are a no-go so a year-round tyre like the pilot sport should be a winner.
Ooooh, I love tyre chat!

I think the PS4Ss will be epic Nick - definitely a much better all year round proposition than the Corsas. When I went to Millbrook last, the Alfa tech told me that they had been trying the PS4S to offer as an alternative to the Corsa, due to the narrow operating temperature capability of the Corsas.

I'd be really interested to hear your views on warm, dry grip vs the Corsas, as this is the only possible area (with 60 tread wear rating) that the Corsas could be better than the PS4Ss.

I've been struggling to find winter tyres that fit the Q and am resigned to running our 4x4 barge for the winter.

Are you notifying your insurers re the change of tyre size or do you not consider that necessary. What about the move away from the AR homologated tyre?
AO Silver Member

County: Northants
Garage
Corsas are epic tyres, under the right conditions.

Had them on a previous car as well as the Quad and they are on my new car arriving just time for the winter ! When up to temp they are absolutely fantastic, albeit rather short lived.

I?m glad Alfa fitted them but also agree that they are an extreme choice for a 4 door saloon.

Per HF I suspect MPS4s are the best all round option and have these on the M4 currently. Pirelli PZeroes seem to wear much more quickly in my experience and if it were me I would be looking at how to get he Michelins.

I don?t think that using non Alfa homologated would be an issue but the change of size niggles more.
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
I didnt think you could get PS4S tyres in the correct size for QV yet?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskins View Post
I didnt think you could get PS4S tyres in the correct size for QV yet?
Correct - Nick gone for 295s on the rear lieu of 285s
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamfisti View Post
Ooooh, I love tyre chat!

I think the PS4Ss will be epic Nick - definitely a much better all year round proposition than the Corsas. When I went to Millbrook last, the Alfa tech told me that they had been trying the PS4S to offer as an alternative to the Corsa, due to the narrow operating temperature capability of the Corsas.

I'd be really interested to hear your views on warm, dry grip vs the Corsas, as this is the only possible area (with 60 tread wear rating) that the Corsas could be better than the PS4Ss.

I've been struggling to find winter tyres that fit the Q and am resigned to running our 4x4 barge for the winter.

Are you notifying your insurers re the change of tyre size or do you not consider that necessary. What about the move away from the AR homologated tyre?
When I was on the Stelvio day at Millbrook they were doing hot laps in the Giulia Quadrifoglio with racing drivers. It was mind blowing how fast and how well it gripped, especially the front end (bear in mind I'd been driving my one for a few months). It was a warm day.
When I got out I noticed it was on Michelins and they confirmed they were trying them out as they were getting through the Corsas too fast! Don't know which Michelins but assume PS4S.
They seemed pretty awesome to me from the passenger seat. There's not a lot to hold on to in the front passenger seat!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

They may have been Michellin Cup Sport 2, if they were using mostly on the track.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
I can do them for you for 1,500 inc VAT but they are cheaper on ebay than I can do so you are better buying those ones

Ned

what price trust...!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
They may have been Michellin Cup Sport 2, if they were using mostly on the track.
Unfortunately I didn't see.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Did you have your eyes shut and your buttocks clenched?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

so does anyone have an offical list of tyres that are recommended for the QV apart from the corsas?

i would rather not have tyres that aren't the exact correct size, simply cos of my ocd, regardless if they fit fine.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Nope - I don't think there is one. I can't even find Winter tyres that are in the right sizes for the staggered set up, let alone ones that are also recommended by AR. As far as I know, the Corsas are it!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Did you have your eyes shut and your buttocks clenched?
Something like that!
AO Member

County: Sussex
Quote:
Nope - I don't think there is one. I can't even find Winter tyres that are in the right sizes for the staggered set up, let alone ones that are also recommended by AR. As far as I know, the Corsas are it!
What do ze Germans do? Or those that live in the Italian Alps? Alfa must know something
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
ok so the only alfa homogulated tires for the QV are fast wearing slippery summer ones?!

is there then a list of other tires (that some helpful soul may have compiled) that fit regardless of whether alfa approved or not?!

i havent had a chance to look in detail but surely those listed here would fit at least?

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/...a-romeo/giulia
Lambrate FS likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

Weirdly, you can often get different sized tyres in Europe than UK. For eg, UK tyre suppliers don't seem to be able to provide Michellin Alpin PA4 winter tyres in the 245/35/19 and 285/30/19, in XL that are needed for the QF, but some of the European online suppliers can. In the UK, you can only get Sottozero II for one axle, but Sottozero 3 for the other. It's mental and frustrating!

For summer tyres, the course that Nick has gone demonstrates the issue - he has had to go to a wider rear tyre to get a matching front and rear set (MP4S). You can get MPSS in 285/30/19, but then you'd be mixing tyres - not ideal in my view.

So the answer is, it isn't a 5 minute task. You have to make a list of tyres available for one axle and then compare to the list available for the other, and guess what - there aren't (m)any!
AO Member

Quote:
Weirdly, you can often get different sized tyres in Europe than UK. For eg, UK tyre suppliers don't seem to be able to provide Michellin Alpin PA4 winter tyres in the 245/35/19 and 285/30/19, in XL that are needed for the QF, but some of the European online suppliers can. In the UK, you can only get Sottozero II for one axle, but Sottozero 3 for the other. It's mental and frustrating!

For summer tyres, the course that Nick has gone demonstrates the issue - he has had to go to a wider rear tyre to get a matching front and rear set (MP4S). You can get MPSS in 285/30/19, but then you'd be mixing tyres - not ideal in my view.

So the answer is, it isn't a 5 minute task. You have to make a list of tyres available for one axle and then compare to the list available for the other, and guess what - there aren't (m)any!
Speedy solution.

oponeo.co.uk

I've been ordering tyres (for work fleet and personal cars) from them for 2+ yrs and they are good. All tyres come from Germany and they have loads of options for us. See here https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder...r=1/245-35-r19
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower27 View Post
Speedy solution.

oponeo.co.uk

I've been ordering tyres (for work fleet and personal cars) from them for 2+ yrs and they are good. All tyres come from Germany and they have loads of options for us. See here https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder...r=1/245-35-r19
Slight adjustment, many options for fronts - fewer for rears. But they have Michelin Alpin PA4s for both
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

ignore
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

..... and they are expensive relative to some of the other online tyre dealers. The Corsas for the rear are 15 more expensive supply only (excl del) than supplied and fitted with some of the UK suppliers.

At least they have Alpin PA4s for front and back as you say.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia QV

So based on horsepowers website, there are no all season that are available to exactly match the corsa sizes, but there are a few winter options, those being:

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 - 245/35 R19 93 W XL 285/30 R19 98 W XL

Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 P - 245/35 R19 93 V XL, FR, MO 285/30 R19 98 V XL, FR (or 245/35 R19 93 W XL, FR) whats the difference between V and W, speed?

Pirelli Sottozero II - 245/35 R19 93 V XL 285/30 R19 98 V XL

other sites suggest Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 can be got in the right sizes as can Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's (or 3 plus's) (at least on US sites?)
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower27 View Post
Speedy solution.

oponeo.co.uk

Quote:
..... and they are expensive relative to some of the other online tyre dealers. The Corsas for the rear are 15 more expensive supply only (excl del) than supplied and fitted with some of the UK suppliers.

At least they have Alpin PA4s for front and back as you say.
True.

With tyres it always pays to put the size and spec into google and hit "shopping" You then get a good price comparison. Prices tend to fluctuate a lot with the amount of stock a supplier has

For example https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe...88815350595294
(Post Link) post #48 of 975 Old 19-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

The Michelins Pilot Sport 4Ss are on. I've only driven in town but the roads are really greasy and it already feels more sure footed. Also - there was no evidence of the tyre skipping at full lock when I parked up. The car was reading 18 degrees outside so maybe it wasn't cold enough to skip but I would have expected a skip especially with the greasy surface. The rim protectors are cool too, the tyre will definitely hit a kerb significantly before the rim. The rears are wider than stock and you can tell. They seem to bulge out more than the Corsas did. I'll feedback more when I've put some miles on them.
AO Silver Member

Any pics of the rears?
Would be interested in feedback, especially once it gets colder.
(Post Link) post #50 of 975 Old 19-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

tyre.jpg

You can't really see the bulge in the pic. It's not horrible but definitely looks different.
bucketbot likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
quadrifoglio , tyres

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page