Alfa Romeo Forum banner

The show-us-your-164 thread..

32K views 152 replies 40 participants last post by  derek155 
#1 · (Edited)
..as they're getting so scarce now it might be nice to catch up and see what's actually out there..?

So a chance to show off your onesixtyfour with a current pic and a little detail... almost an informal register :)

To start, mine is a LHD '97 TB, originally registered in Italy but she lives in Ireland now. She was off the road for a while with a goosed ECU as it turned out, but she's up and running again thankfully :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It's about time we had a thread like this!
Yours looks lovely by the way - what's the TB like to drive? I love the wheels too - Zender Siena?

As for mine, here goes:

I have a 1991 3.0 Cloverleaf in rosso Alfa that is cosmetically shabby but mechanically, pretty sound (at long last). I bought it as my first project in 2012, as it had been parked in a field for 5/6 years after the clutch went. It's far from perfect but I love it all the same.

Earlier this year I bought my second 164 project (I'm a glutton for punishment apparently) which is a Savali-modified 1994 Q4 in proteo rosso. Progress has been slower than I would like for various reasons, but I'm hoping to have it back on the road next year :)

Pictures below - you can probably work out which is which :)

Attachments

#3 ·
..wow, that's some fleet. And milanos too.. :)

Thanks.. yup, sienas, though milanos are even cooler..! The TB is a nice drive.. it doesn't have the hard-edged top end of the 24v V6, but there's something sort of intoxicating about it all the same once it starts coming on boost.. you sort of lope around town in 2nd where you'd normally be in 3rd so you can squeeze the go pedal every now and then just for the hell of it :)

#4 ·
Milanos are my favourite Alfa wheels, I had to be patient to get my hands on a set! I like Sienas a lot too, I came close to buying some earlier this year but was outbid unfortunately. Zender made some great wheels for Alfas.

That sounds like fun :biglaugh: Am I right in saying it's a 2.0 V6? An interesting car regardless, I can't imagine there's many of those still driving around. Like I say - lovely car!

#5 ·
1991 QV - 2 owners, 66,000 miles, near perfect given a few scuffed corners and a stone scarred bonnet (patina). The reason I got bored with my 166 Super.

1991 2.0 V6 TB - LHD of course ex Rome, 89,000 Km, mechanically first class, paintwork deserves some attention. Probably quicker than the QV, very quiet and well mannered.

No photos - I know what they look like and they are not difficult to pick out in the supermarket car park.

Might sell the TB if someone offered Chris Cousins kind of money.

#7 ·
@aggy8888 That V6 TB could be interesting for us here in Ireland where the motortax makes the 3.0 cars all but impossible to own. The lighter, pre-facelift car with that engine must be pretty cool.. you have to post some pics man..! :)

@HaydnW A Savali Q4 is a real find.. is it running..? Is it a 3.8 then..? Be great to hear how it drives.. :)

#9 ·
Excellent idea! There's some mouth-watering stuff on here already - well done chaps, keep 'em coming. It's a real inspiration to see them because, of course, I never see one on the road these days! Mine is still covered in dead bugs from my recent trip and I've been away with work until today. Will try to get it washed and post something later in the week though...

I'm wondering if mine is the only Series 1 left in the country...

...that isn't red or black?!

#11 ·
Here's my '91 12V Cloverleaf. Like Haydn's, she's on Zender Milanos. I've also had a Q2 diff fitted and uprated anti-roll bars. The engine was rebuilt last year by Jamie Porter, with new piston rings, bearings and valve guides. I've also fitted Tarox front brakes with 6-pot calipers but I'm going to have to look at replacing the brake master cylinder from the standard one as the pedal travel is reaaaally long.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Personal luxury car

#12 ·
I am interested in the beefed up anti roll bars and their effect on handling?

My TB leans dramatically at the front on long fast bends
More so than the QV
And yet the roll bar part numbers appear to be identical!

How many miles to have needed an engine rebuild?

Kind regards

#13 ·
The anti-roll bars are aftermarket ones, sold by Jason at Alfissimo, but I'm not sure they're available anymore. The engine rebuild was originally just going to be the heads, as the valve guides were worn, causing a bit of smoking. It was a case of "while yer down there" to take the sump off and do the piston rings and bearings while everything was in bits.

#14 ·
My recently bought '97 QV with 98000 miles and full history is airbag model with black recaros. I've previously owned 2 new ones, a '92 12V QV (black recaro) followed by a '95 24V (M750 OVN) with tan standard leather - all red ones! Those 2 were sold with 75-80k miles, gave me absolutely no trouble and looked showroom apart from minor bonnet chips. This latest (toy) looks great and has a few minor issues that I'm slowly dealing with. The stock Clarion radio is out and being repaired (u/s amp)and there's a Clarion multi-changer in the boot. Reading the threads it seems some guys are willing to pay a fortune for Recaros - personally I remember the standard leather seats being much more comfortable. My driver's side Recaro has the usual cracked/broken side pod- not surprising as its a ridiculous design error. Is it possible to get replacement pods? - I doubt it. I have Powerflex bushes awaiting fitment to top engine mount/dogbone.

I never had to fiddle with my previous QV's as they were new but now I'm having to get back in the habit. Can anyone help me please? - the 'tripmeter' and 'trip 0' buttons have been cross-wired with each button controlling the other function. I've had the instrument mask pulled out to access behind the buttons so as to swap the feeds, but can't extract the wires! They seem to be in a 'push to click' connector but no amount of squeezing and pulling works and I daren't pull too hard as I don't want to break anything! All suggestions/tips very welcome.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
A great selection of 164s so far, it's nice to see so many pictures too.

Presently coming back together after alot of work, you can see the details with loads of images by searching for 'alfa scozia' on FB.

:)
I've been following that on Facebook - I understand you've had the engine running again recently? It looks like you're sparing no expense, good luck with it!

#21 ·
Alfa 164 1995 Cloverleaf

Any excuse to show my 164. Brembo Brakes / Up rated suspension / Brera S wheels.
Self built engine using AHM 3.8 conversion fitted with Rotrex Supercharger. Never had her on a dyno since supercharger fitted but easily a real 350 BHP.:teacher: Done a GPS registered 171 MPH once ( In Germany of course ).

Attachments

#23 ·
Any excuse to show my 164. Brembo Brakes / Up rated suspension / Brera S wheels.
Self built engine using AHM 3.8 conversion fitted with Rotrex Supercharger. Never had her on a dyno since supercharger fitted but easily a real 350 BHP.:teacher: Done a GPS registered 171 MPH once ( In Germany of course ).
I love that! What a machine. Vernier pulleys too!
Do you mind me asking which Brembos you have fitted - is it the ones from something like a 156 GTA? And are they difficult to fit? I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on my Q4 at some point so this could be an alternative to Tarox or Vmaxx calipers which are a little bit pricey.

How does it handle the power too - I assume it has a Q2 diff (or better)? It must be a hoot to drive!

#26 ·
Up rated brakes

For the front brakes I paid top dollar for Brembo 4 pot calipers and suitable discs 380 mm I think from Godspeed brakes way back in 2006. Then, using high strength alloy a machine shop fabricated adapter brackets to bolt onto the strut and then drilled and tapped the alloy blocks to accept the two allen head bolts that go through the calipers ( either 12 or 14 mm course thread ). The alloy bells that come with the discs required drilling to the 164 PCD in order to match the wheel stud pattern. I now know that there is no need to buy brand new calipers as there are now **** loads of brembo four pots available 2nd hand on e bay that can be made to fit. The rear brakes are standard size but are Tarox discs and pads. Back then in '06 there were no Q2's and so I got a 'Gripper' LSD which turned out to be too much for everyday driving. Grippersd are for competition use I think. Going to Asda and having the diff clanking when you turned was not ideal and so I put the std back in there. Inevitably she goes a tad wayward when you cane it in 2nd gear and she could use a Q2 if I can source funds next year. The front tyres are Brera S Pirelli P Zero 19" which wear out twice as fast as the rears. Front tyres and front brake pads must now be considered as 'consumables' , tyres are expensive though @ £250 a pop!. And Yes, that's my favourite 'Tranny' in the back ground

#29 ·
For the front brakes I paid top dollar for Brembo 4 pot calipers and suitable discs 380 mm I think from Godspeed brakes way back in 2006. Then, using high strength alloy a machine shop fabricated adapter brackets to bolt onto the strut and then drilled and tapped the alloy blocks to accept the two allen head bolts that go through the calipers ( either 12 or 14 mm course thread ). The alloy bells that come with the discs required drilling to the 164 PCD in order to match the wheel stud pattern. I now know that there is no need to buy brand new calipers as there are now **** loads of brembo four pots available 2nd hand on e bay that can be made to fit. The rear brakes are standard size but are Tarox discs and pads. Back then in '06 there were no Q2's and so I got a 'Gripper' LSD which turned out to be too much for everyday driving. Grippersd are for competition use I think. Going to Asda and having the diff clanking when you turned was not ideal and so I put the std back in there. Inevitably she goes a tad wayward when you cane it in 2nd gear and she could use a Q2 if I can source funds next year. The front tyres are Brera S Pirelli P Zero 19" which wear out twice as fast as the rears. Front tyres and front brake pads must now be considered as 'consumables' , tyres are expensive though @ £250 a pop!. And Yes, that's my favourite 'Tranny' in the back ground
FYI for the guy asking about the up rated brakes ............. see pic's of front brakes. The alloy block in the picture is not the finished item as it had to have some more machined off it in order to clear the drive shaft. Alfa Mail

Attachments

#28 ·
Well here's my 164 TS, needs new alloys and the speedo seems to have a mind of its own (so I use a gps instead at present) Otherwise its a really great car.

There's three other 164s in the area, a white one in Yeovil in someones front garden going green, a J reg twinnie with bad peeling in Sherborne and the V6 in Haynes Museum.

Mark

Attachments

#31 ·
#33 ·
No problem!

I've used alfisti.net several times, the service is always excellent and they have a pretty good range of products for 164s too :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.