Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Alfa 166 Exhaust Tribulations

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fanch53500 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted to put a quick post onto the forum in case it helps any other owners of 166s in Oxfordshire / Bucks. Basically my exhaust needed replacing, almost from manifold gaskets to tail pipes. My usual mechanics said that they would be willing to do the work if I could get hold of the parts. Had no luck at all, emails went unanswered and phone calls usually went along the lines of a sharp intake of breath following by "166 luv? Nah, don't do parts for 166s". Or I could get one or two bits but not everything.
Following posts on this site I did initially go to Powerflow but was put off by their very blokey / female unfriendly website and the fact that I couldn't care less about stainless steel. In the end I got desperate though and contacted their guy in Bucks and I'm hugely happy that I did so. Ant was brilliant, he replaced the exhaust from downpipes to tailpipes and more importantly saved the cat which saved me a fortune. He did the car in a day and for £520 I now have a brilliant exhaust system which sounds fantastic. Still not fussed re the fact that it's stainless steel but if anybody is having trouble in our area I would hugely recommend him! Great bloke, great job, great price!

#2 ·
Sounds like a result, but honestly, stainless steel is good as long as it's the right grade, done right, as it'll last much longer than the rest of the car. I've spent way too much time and money replacing mild steel systems that have rotted away over the years - any system I replace will always be stainless if at all possible.

Still amazes me that in this so-called 'green' era manufacturers get away with fitting mild steel exhaust components. Shouldn't be allowed!

#3 · (Edited)
Swing n roonaboots Chris....IIRC The SS exhaust wie the wifetime guarantee has to be inspected each year and I am no sure if you huv tay fork oot fur remedial work ((.. TIa's SS guarantee is NO TWANSFELLABLE> Loads of wee defects in the welding ..))cannae see if being fur free to BUT who kens.....BUTT the bonny wee Imasaf (IMHO) is the best of them awe ...Proof pudding.

Pomeo

Open fur collection oan the wifetime warranty

#4 ·
Ah, that'll be why I said the right material, done right! I too have seen plenty of half arsed attemtps at stainless exhausts and while they may not rust, they fall apart PDQ.

A mild system will rot. I do short journeys which is really bad for the exhaust so a stainless one, even not very well made, will easily outlast a mild one.

I did look at IMASAF when I needed to do the system on the 166, but it wasn't all that much cheaper than the Ragazzon and I was willing to pay a bit extra to be able to fit it and forget about it. Looking at prices just now, the Ragazzon is about £150 more than the IMASAF for the CAT back system.

I got pretty p155ed off changing exhausts on my old 155 when I had it. I never could bring myself to stump up for a stainless system, which was a mistake.

But, as you rightly say Pom, each to their own path.

#5 ·
Too true Chris...BUTT;):D
Ooor auld T plate mondeo which we hud fray new was still on it's original mild steel exhaust (cat back) 9 years later when we selt it and (Well it's along story) I offered to put the old one back on as it had loads of life left and keep the new one good for when the original failed ,I wept when I dumped the old one at the end of life "recycle " centre.

BUTTT :cry: Twas oan its thurd cat.......AARGH A lot dearer than an exhaust.:lol:

Pomeo

#6 ·
Hi, just to say even if it is an old post that I just changed my exhaust on my old alfa 166 3.0 v6. I founded a back box on ebay for 150€ and as I didnt want to pay the same price for the pre back box part, I tried to fit a lancia kappa 3.0 v6 one. 40€ only on ebay and it fits and works perfectly. I post this for those who want to keep their old 166 with a nice exhaust without breaking the bank. Next step tomorrow is MOT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.