Is this a 164 3.0 24v cam tensioner? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Herts
Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Is this a 164 3.0 24v cam tensioner?

I found a couple of these in the bottom of a parts box. I think they're the tensioners for the early 3.0 24v used in the 164, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyone know for sure if these are 164 tensioners? And if so, how do I test if they still work OK? Both seem to spin freely but I can't work out any other way to test them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Never mind, found out for myself, they are the mythical QV tensioner and appear to be working fine
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Since they appear to be extremely expensive / hard to find (I'd be more than happy to be told otherwise) maybe this is a bargain price? Roughly 1/2 the price of the last one I found sold anywhere...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293242151227
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6

Yeah that's the tensione for all 164 24V engines. It's shared with Ferrari and is readily available new, although not particularly cheap at around 170.
I think the only way to test them is to compress them (may require a vice) and see how well they return, though I don't have any info to hand re: how quickly they should return.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydnW View Post
Yeah that's the tensione for all 164 24V engines. It's shared with Ferrari and is readily available new, although not particularly cheap at around 170.
I think the only way to test them is to compress them (may require a vice) and see how well they return, though I don't have any info to hand re: how quickly they should return.
Ah, I was finding the Ferrari tensioners at about 300 new, 150 second hand and couldn't see any for sale in the UK. If they're around 170 new I'll knock the price down a bit

Last edited by mj2k; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:31.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6

Yeah you can get them a bit cheaper if you shop around a bit, I'd expect to pay around 170 to 200 for a new one. They're what makes the cambelt service on a 24v 164 rather more expensive!
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Subaru Legacy H6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydnW View Post
Yeah you can get them a bit cheaper if you shop around a bit, I'd expect to pay around 170 to 200 for a new one. They're what makes the cambelt service on a 24v 164 rather more expensive!
Yeah, apart from the Ferrari part number (which took some finding) that's about the only thing I found out about the 24v cambelt service, that it was expensive Good job those tensioners are quite robust...

I did find out one thing which might make an interesting project though - the later type 24v tensioner fits straight onto a 12v block (though won't fit the 164's 24v), and that takes the cheaper 12v water pump too. So if it was possible to fit the early 24v heads onto the 12v block (they're too expensive / rare for me so haven't tried) it might be possible to make an engine which uses the more common, cheaper 916 GTV-on tensioners and 12v water pump, which would potentially knock about 150 off the cost of servicing.

Edit: Thinking about it, the position of the 12v oil pump drive would mean it fouled the camshaft sprockets, so that wouldn't work unless you fitted an external dry sump type oil pump, at which point it wouldn't be worth the bother.

BTW I've heard rumours the early type 24v valves are no longer available from some people, is that true or another one of those Busso 'urban myths', like the unavailability of the tensioners?

Last edited by mj2k; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:17.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

Tags
164 , 24v , cam , tensioner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page