164 Mk1 rear brake compensator valve - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cumbria
164 Mk1 rear brake compensator valve

Well, it looks like mine is leaking! I had hoped it was a dodgy connection on the reservoir float, but no, I really was losing brake fluid...

So I think I need to find a new one...

Would anyone have a source they could recommend? 9Or a part number I could search for) please? So far, I've found out that (I think) Alfa call it a "Brake power regulator".

I have a Bosch part number of: 0 204 131 202

A TRW part No. of: GPV1057

Fiat part numbers of: 82407503 or 60801503

2. OEM Numbers:*42562769 / 60801543 / 82407503 / 98420511.

Does anyone know which (if any!) of those is right for my car, please? (It's a Right Hand Drive 3.0 V6 Lusso of 1989 vintage).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
Hi Avocet,

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bosch/674964, listing in stock at £83.28 + £8.45 delivery for bosch 0 204 131 202, but its listed only for the 155 (Its no good asking them, they employ idiots). double check your existing part is bosch 0 204 131 202 and compare the pictures.

Other sites are listing that bosch number for the 164 but autodoc is cheaper by a long way
hope that helps ;0)

Last edited by dasiygtv; 1 Week Ago at 18:53.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks DaisyGTV,

Sadly, no that one looks different to mine. I wouldn't be surprised if the internals were the same, but the actuating lever is completely different to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiygtv View Post
Hi Avocet,

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bosch/674964, listing in stock at £83.28 + £8.45 delivery for bosch 0 204 131 202, but its listed only for the 155 (Its no good asking them, they employ idiots). double check your existing part is bosch 0 204 131 202 and compare the pictures.

Other sites are listing that bosch number for the 164 but autodoc is cheaper by a long way
hope that helps ;0)
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

Does your car have ABS? If so, you can likely just bypass that valve. Worst case, fit a simple limiting valve.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Thanks DaisyGTV,

Sadly, no that one looks different to mine. I wouldn't be surprised if the internals were the same, but the actuating lever is completely different to mine.
Be interesting to strip one out and see just what is under the rubber boot, can not see it being anything more than the linkage as the same part number is listed for several different makes an bosch certainly wont make them with any real difference.

This looks identical to the bosch one https://www.autodoc.co.uk/abs/7716088 and is also listed for the 155, but its only £28 ?.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Does your car have ABS? If so, you can likely just bypass that valve. Worst case, fit a simple limiting valve.
Yeah, I've always wondered that! Why does a car with ABS need a compensator valve? Surely if the ABS is any good, that'll stop the rear wheels locking!

I think the answer is that whilst it has ABS, it doesn't have Electronic Brake Force Distribution. It would therefore allow wheel lock to occur (even though the ABS system would then unlock it again). I therefore think it's there to limit the rear brakes to the point where lockup would be extremely rare, so that the ABS would only intervene on the back wheels in very rare circumstances?
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiygtv View Post
Be interesting to strip one out and see just what is under the rubber boot, can not see it being anything more than the linkage as the same part number is listed for several different makes an bosch certainly wont make them with any real difference.

This looks identical to the bosch one https://www.autodoc.co.uk/abs/7716088 and is also listed for the 155, but its only £28 ?.
I found one which (at least according to the photo and listing) is right for my car, for £116 delivered, so I'm going to try with that, I think.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

Tags
164 , brake , compensator , mk1 , rear , valve

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page