Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Lowering springs on my 166

6K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  DavidAlfa166 
#1 ·
I have a standard 2000 166. They seem to ride very high. It's an extremely comfortable setup which I like but it does detract from the looks. I was thinking about putting on TI springs or similar. Are they harsher? I don't want to turn it into a sports car, just improve the look a little bit really.

#4 ·
..mine had Eibachs and FSDs. When I drove it out of the garage it was really disappointing at first because it felt exactly the same :)

But once you drove it a bit you realised it was way better in every way.

I think the 166 does look better if it's sitting down a little, so I reckon it's something that's worth doing, especially if you were refreshing the shocks anyway...

#25 ·
Put my 2.0 onto Eibach Pro Kit and Koni FSD's a number of years ago. Nailed on and straight out of the garage it felt like there was no suspension at all! After a couple of days the springs loosened up and the drive became much better than the standard parts.

A word of caution. Lowering the ride will change the suspension geometry. As a result, if not corrected the wheels will camber in\have a negaitve camber, i.e the tops of the wheels will be closer to the centre line of the car than the bottoms, as a result, if not corrected the tyres will be resting heavily on their inside edges. It's easy enough to resolve on the front, the camber is adjustable. For the rears, the subframe has to be dropped and the upper support moved to dial out the camber. For the Eibachs, it can be almost competely dialed out.

V.

#5 ·
Does it really need it? I think 17" wheel rims might give the illusion of making look a bit lower.
What are the Mm readings from your last NCT? Shocks don't really go in them

#6 ·
I've 17" Supersport alloys coming in the next few days, so as you say I am hoping that will give it the appearance of being lower.

It doesn't need any suspension work. Shocks are 100%. Changing the springs would be for cosmetic reasons first and handling reasons a distant second.

#7 ·
I've 17" Supersport alloys coming in the next few days, so as you say I am hoping that will give it the appearance of being lower.

It doesn't need any suspension work. Shocks are 100%. Changing the springs would be for cosmetic reasons first and handling reasons a distant second.
God bless your honesty! And IMO the supersports are the best alloy for these beauties.
This might be of interest?
http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styl...ns/Eibach-ProKit-Sports-Spring-Kit::1358.html

#8 ·
Just remembered that my sportronic had H&R springs and bilstein b6’s fitted, the current green 3.0 Super has std shocks and lowering springs with supersports alloys and it does look rather good. My 3.2 has just had zender sienna 18” fitted and whilst they fill the arches I agree lowering it would work. I’m torn between going mad with a coil over kit or just lowering springs on good std shocks.

#15 ·
Samsemtex, re them being tired I would simply reference the last NCT and the Mm values assigned to each.
I find mine stay about 35-40Mm per corner which means they're fine.
There's a bit of work involved in swapping springs. Front end is easier in one sense as for the rears you have to remove the rear seat to access the parcel shelf to open the top mount nuts.
I'd call it a half day's work for someone who is proficient. (To swap all four)
Fair to say lads?

#32 · (Edited)
Good choice and looks fantastic. If you want to make it look lower consider a body kit if you can find one.

Alfa » 166 » Styling

This will give the illusion of being lower without scarifying your suspension and car. Similar to Quad side skirts etc... on 164.

#34 ·
I think the 166 Super had lowered springs (and the facelift TI used the same ones.) The TI has 40 profile tyres which do feel a little harsh (to my taste) with the lowered (and therefore stiffer) springs; I have been considering going to 17" wheels with the 45 profile tyres for a while as I believe these were fitted to the Super.

The car looks gorgeous and the wheels look just right. Part of the appeal of the 166 is its combination of a supple ride with precise handling. If you want a lower look, find a set of Super springs. I don't believe Alfa changed the suspension setup for these springs.

#37 ·
When I took off the old wheels I could see that the inside edges were being absolutely devoured. Looks to be the same wear pattern as on my 159, ie. 90% of the front tyre is wearing fine but the inside edge disappears rapidly. One of the suggestions on the 159 was that the bushes were too soft and polybushing should fix it. Is this the same solution with the 166? Changing tyres every 5,000 miles on the 159 really ****ed me off.

#38 ·
Waiting for the answer here. All 4 on my 166 are wearing on the inside and am open to polybushing....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.