3.2 166 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes
  • 8 Post By abecketts
  • 1 Post By rxe
  • 1 Post By Pud237
  • 2 Post By FAssarsson
  • 2 Post By rxe
  • 1 Post By Lastbreath
  • 1 Post By abecketts
  • 2 Post By abecketts
  • 2 Post By FAssarsson
  • 1 Post By rxe
  • 1 Post By abecketts

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 08-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
3.2 166

So I bought one at the beginning of March and shipped it to Autolusso on Sea for a cambelt, 4 wheel alignment and gear linkage bushes as it was a bit like stirring soup to find a gear. Beyond that, 2 bottom arms, a cv boot and repairing two alloy wheel buckles she will live and hopefully make it to NAD this weekend.

There is a list of other jobs to do but they are not as pressing, I was advised that the cambelt was on its last legs to v happy tis sorted.

Just need to reduce the number of 166s on my drive for diplomatic relations to remain cordial:-)

Paul
mick164, markies, Pomeo and 5 others like this.

whine if you must be i'd rather be drinking it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage

Member car:

166 3.0 & GT 2.0

On your old 166s - have you had any interest in those so far?

Interested to know what the market is like at the moment...
(Post Link) post #3 of 25 Old 09-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyG View Post
On your old 166s - have you had any interest in those so far?

Interested to know what the market is like at the moment...
I think quiet would be the word at present
AO Member

Best of luck with her, the 3.2 166 holy grail of the 166...how many other ones do you have?
(Post Link) post #5 of 25 Old 12-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastbreath View Post
Best of luck with her, the 3.2 166 holy grail of the 166...how many other ones do you have?
Currently a 3.0 sportronic and a 3.0 super, at least one will be going with the arrival of the 3.2
(Post Link) post #6 of 25 Old 12-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Its been a difficult couple of days, having had the cambelt changed I get a call from the garage saying whilst flushing the coolant system the radiator gummed up with a load of kseal type stuff and the car then developed a head gasket issue. The car was checked before work started but the coolant flush seems to have dislodged a lot of gunk which was holding it all together. Oh bu%%er or words to that effect. So Im awaiting a large bill.

As it will be an engine out job the opportunity to change the clutch and fit a quaife comes to mind, not exactly on the plan but I think I have to sort this instead of selling it on or parting it out.

What would others do and would there be anything else you might consider doing with the engine out of the car?
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
See my thread in the image lounge.

Extract engine.
Head gaskets in your case
Quaife and clutch
Cross-pipe o rings
Cam belt and pump (youve done this already)
De-cat manifolds
Front brake pipes, back ones to the join under the passenger footwell.
Corrosion at the bottom of the bulkhead
Oil cooler replacement
New CV boots (probably)
Replacement front suspension arms etc
ARB bushes

Other than that, it will be fine!
FAssarsson likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 25 Old 12-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
See my thread in the image lounge.

Extract engine.
Head gaskets in your case
Quaife and clutch
Cross-pipe o rings
Cam belt and pump (youve done this already)
De-cat manifolds
Front brake pipes, back ones to the join under the passenger footwell.
Corrosion at the bottom of the bulkhead
Oil cooler replacement
New CV boots (probably)
Replacement front suspension arms etc
ARB bushes

Other than that, it will be fine!
A small list...I think the manifolds will stay, cv boots done, lower suspension arms done, a quaife probably. I cant go too mad as I have the respray of our v6 spider to cough up for. The 3.2 was an unplanned event but as there are so few of them I had to make a choice. I will ponder the other items.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by abecketts View Post
Its been a difficult couple of days, having had the cambelt changed I get a call from the garage saying whilst flushing the coolant system the radiator gummed up with a load of kseal type stuff and the car then developed a head gasket issue. The car was checked before work started but the coolant flush seems to have dislodged a lot of gunk which was holding it all together. Oh bu%%er or words to that effect. So Im awaiting a large bill.

As it will be an engine out job the opportunity to change the clutch and fit a quaife comes to mind, not exactly on the plan but I think I have to sort this instead of selling it on or parting it out.

What would others do and would there be anything else you might consider doing with the engine out of the car?
What a nightmare - the head gaskets do rot like anything and I often see lots of 'bits' come out if I ever drop the coolant or remove the waterpump on one of these. You have to wonder just how long they could go for if the gaskets are falling apart.

If you do happen to take the engine out and are interested in the stainless manifolds (replacing the original heat-soakers), I have a pair on the shelf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 103.jpg (320.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 102.jpg (251.2 KB, 11 views)
abecketts likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 25 Old 13-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
What a nightmare - the head gaskets do rot like anything and I often see lots of 'bits' come out if I ever drop the coolant or remove the waterpump on one of these. You have to wonder just how long they could go for if the gaskets are falling apart.

If you do happen to take the engine out and are interested in the stainless manifolds (replacing the original heat-soakers), I have a pair on the shelf.
Oh Lord the temptation.........Ive already committed to a wizard back box, will I really notice the difference?
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Your engine bay temperatures will!

Chris155 did a thread last year or so about the engine temps with precat manifolds and you literally slow cook everything in the engine bay and thats where your ECU is. I mean I like slow cooked meats but when its the ECU it kinda takes away the fun..
sizewell and abecketts like this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 25 Old 13-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAssarsson View Post

Chris155 did a thread last year or so about the engine temps with precat manifolds and you literally slow cook everything in the engine bay and thats where your ECU is. I mean I like slow cooked meats but when its the ECU it kinda takes away the fun..
Yes indeed, Im aware of that, the delights of the cf3 ecu just above a boiling hot cat. Im intrigued as to the likely benefits in terms of the engine response and whether I would really notice it.
AO Member

Id say youd notice it on paper and youd notice the sound but as a seat-of-the-pants thing? Barely. If I had 240hp one day and 5 more the other I wouldnt notice, but I bet the sound would make you smile as much as the lower temps will make your ECU happy
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Chilling

Quote:

Chris155 did a thread last year or so about the engine temps with precat manifolds and you literally slow cook everything in the engine bay and that’s where your ECU is. I mean I like slow cooked meats but when it’s the ECU it kinda takes away the fun..
There is no question, you will notice the difference. Cat free headers on the 3.2 JTS, 159 are worth about 8 bhp. But the real significance is in getting the hot gases away, lowering the temperature and probably improving the longevity of the head gaskets. The 159 and Brera V 6’s of course, have very different gaskets - Stainless I believe, so they are much more robust than the Busso’s.

If you are that enthusiastic about the V6 166, the biggest favour you could do yourself and the car, is bin those cats. I have a set of Autodelta cat-less manifolds for my 159. They were not cheap. But from the very outset, the cats were always going in the bin.

Much more beneficial for the Busso than poncing around with remapping, IMHO.
rxe
AO Silver Member

The overall engine bay temps are much lower. I can stop the car after a hard drive and the plenum is actually cool to the touch. I think you can protect the ECU with the fix I have put up in the GTA thread (big sheet of heat protection), but manifolds + ECU protection is the full solution. The noise - with the Wizards its a bit tinny on day 1 for a big saloon, sounds more race car when you boot it than motorway cruiser. After a few hundred miles they get some carbon on them and it now just has a solid bark when you nail it.

Its an utter PITA that youve got HG after doing the bloody cambelt. Have they proven with a compression test or clamp meter?

If you want to chop it in, Im sure I could find it a good home!
sizewell and FAssarsson like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Chilling

Quote:
Id say youd notice it on paper and youd notice the sound but as a seat-of-the-pants thing? Barely. If I had 240hp one day and 5 more the other I wouldnt notice, but I bet the sound would make you smile as much as the lower temps will make your ECU happy
Better breathing at low end, so torque should be better there.
AO Member

Think we’re swinging a bit off topic now in the engin heat debate lol

Look, it’s an awful situation something like that happening especially after you’ve just had the cam belt done and I can relate I’ve just been there with my 166 and spend thousands on essential repairs and then three jobs that needed doing while I was at it, but I plan on keeping her and I’ve only 1 166 .

I’d say plan have a think about which of the three the keeping and which one your selling and then do up an estimate on what you’ll spend on this vs what you’ll get for the super or sportronic , if it’s a manual 3.2 and the cost was stomachable for the repair and a few bits while the engine is out , body is good , mileage good I’d do it.
Mufasa likes this.
(Post Link) post #18 of 25 Old 13-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastbreath View Post
Think were swinging a bit off topic now in the engin heat debate lol

Look, its an awful situation something like that happening especially after youve just had the cam belt done and I can relate Ive just been there with my 166 and spend thousands on essential repairs and then three jobs that needed doing while I was at it, but I plan on keeping her and Ive only 1 166 .

Id say plan have a think about which of the three the keeping and which one your selling and then do up an estimate on what youll spend on this vs what youll get for the super or sportronic , if its a manual 3.2 and the cost was stomachable for the repair and a few bits while the engine is out , body is good , mileage good Id do it.
A good point, the sportronic is up for sale, I hope to get some interest at Southern Alfa Day tomorrow. That will help get the 3.2 sorted.
Mufasa likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Sorry for your troubles lad
All the best with the fix (and sales)
(Post Link) post #20 of 25 Old 15-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

So decision taken, proceeding with repair, new clutch etc while we are there, good chance of a quaife going in if there are no additional surprises. Ive decided not to go for the manifolds but with the arrival of the ragazzon centre section and the wizard back box on order I think the car will be just fine. Will be ready at the end of May, now wheres my piggy bank, spare a copper guv.......
Mufasa and FAssarsson like this.
AO Member

Good job, not enough 3.2s to go around so saving them is admirable.

Hope theres no added niggles.
Pomeo and Mufasa like this.
sye
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
The overall engine bay temps are much lower. I can stop the car after a hard drive and the plenum is actually cool to the touch. I think you can protect the ECU with the fix I have put up in the GTA thread (big sheet of heat protection), but manifolds + ECU protection is the full solution.
@rxe - can you direct me to the 'fix' thread pls?

Thanks in advance
rxe
AO Silver Member

sye
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Great. Many thanks
(Post Link) post #25 of 25 Old 18-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ive taken the plunge and ordered some of this material, I only wish I had an assistant like yours, our two assistants would see it as something to shred or chew so I may need to choose the location carefully.
Pomeo likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 164 & 166

Tags

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page