Solved-Spider roof fault - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 21Likes

AO Member

County: Lombardia

Last edited by amborem; 13-04-17 at 15:21.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerbamateo View Post
Hello amboren,
I'm away from my main computer where I keep the eLearn, so all I can do is to try to answer the questions or doubts you may have. You don't need any specific tools, get good quality replacement struts, take care when drilling the rivets, they are aluminium, but somehow I had an issue to remove them - maybe the drill was too big.
You need to get to screws that attach internal roof textile to the roof stucture. Once this is removed you'll see the struts. Struts have exactly the same security mechanism as the struts that lift the boot/bonnet - you can practice with them.
When installing the struts, remember to do that with arc lowered = struts extended.

That's from top of my head, let me know if there's anything I can help you with,
Then I have to operate inside the car to remove struts?
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by amborem View Post
Then I have to operate inside the car to remove struts?
Yes, to assembly you do it from the inside. That's why its easier when you loosen the roof lining. To dissassembly you may try to do it with the arc up, from outside, struts are partially visible and probably will not be too strong.
I did disassembly and assembly from the inside.
In any case, roof cover should be up, vertical, with flaps extended. Then you can move the arc up and down.
AO Member

Quote:
Yes, to assembly you do it from the inside. That's why its easier when you loosen the roof lining. To dissassembly you may try to do it with the arc up, from outside, struts are partially visible and probably will not be too strong.
I did disassembly and assembly from the inside.
In any case, roof cover should be up, vertical, with flaps extended. Then you can move the arc up and down.
Sob sob ... I don't find the two bolts to undo after drilling the rivets and moving the interior lining ... Any Photos???
Those two bolts are from inside or outside car?
Help!

Last edited by amborem; 20-04-17 at 06:42.
AO Member

Quote:
Sob sob ... I don't find the two bolts to undo after drilling the rivets and moving the interior lining ... Any Photos???
Those two bolts are from inside or outside car?
Help!
I can't find any photos, and my eLearn is a bit far away...

If you look from the inside, roof up, around the place where the seatbelt slot is, slightly above, you may notice that inner lining is fastened on plastic "block". This block is bolted to the structure with two Allen screws. If you undo those screws, lining will go loose, and you may lift it to reveal the struts.

Hope it helps...
AO Member

County: Cheshire
I did the two easiest ones tonight with no real problems and no rivet or bolt removal. Rear screen part now opens/closes without catching hoop - yipeee.. I bought four 200N struts so will now probably just keep two as spares to replace the easy ones in a couple of years rather than drilling rivets etc..
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Can any one show a location of these spring struts are in relation to the rest of the car?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
Can any one show a location of these spring struts are in relation to the rest of the car?
Here you are ... (the black ones)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5873_zpsxbkuducg.jpg (178.0 KB, 105 views)
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogrip View Post
I did the two easiest ones tonight with no real problems and no rivet or bolt removal. Rear screen part now opens/closes without catching hoop - yipeee.. I bought four 200N struts so will now probably just keep two as spares to replace the easy ones in a couple of years rather than drilling rivets etc..
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Here you are ... (the black ones)
Great thanks.

Do you you have to remove the hood to do this?

Looks daunting.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
Great thanks.

Do you you have to remove the hood to do this?

Looks daunting.
Yes indeed hood removed but is a photo found on web, and ... IS daunting!!!
AO Member

I didn't need to touch the hood to replace the weak lower/rear struts. I found this solved the problem of the hood catching the hoop and not staying seated on the rear deck. The other struts look a bit more challenging so I didn't try too hard to replace them.
I removed the easier struts by simply prising them off with a large flat blade screwdriver. I then installed the new ones by raising the rear window section and attaching the upper end of the strut - I could persuade the strut onto the ball joint by feeding a socket extension under the the hood from outside and then giving it a gentle tap to seat it. I then closed the hood and repeated the socket extension trick but this time from inside the hood. Not very difficult and certainly not daunting, although a bit of patience will help.
ps. I installed mine the other way round to the photo to help keep the strut seal lubricated in the normally closed position (UK!).

This solved my main problems so may be worth a go before any extensive hood stripping. The old struts were knackered as discussed above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood1.jpg (73.8 KB, 74 views)
AO Member

County: Torfaen

Member car:

Spider 2.2 LE

Quote:
I did the two easiest ones tonight with no real problems and no qrivet or bolt removal. Rear screen part now opens/closes without catching hoop - yipeee.. I bought four 200N struts so will now probably just keep two as spares to replace the easy ones in a couple of years rather than drilling rivets etc..
Did you get your struts from SGS as suggested in a previous post? and roughly how long did it take to do them?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr c View Post
Did you get your struts from SGS as suggested in a previous post? and roughly how long did it take to do them?
Yup - struts from SGS and took about 1/2hr to do the two easy struts
AO Member

Finally done!!! Rear screen part now opens/closes without catching hoop. Me too did only the 200N ones ... wife help greatly appreciated.
Special tanks to yerbamateo, work done without drilling rivets, only undo the four screws ...

Last edited by amborem; 03-05-17 at 11:43.
AO Member

Quote:
Finally done!!! Rear screen part now opens/closes without catching hoop. Me too did only the 200N ones.
Special tanks to yerbamateo, work done without drilling rivets, only undo the four screws ...
No problem
I'm close to my elearn and my car, if you need any details or photos, just let me know. And the photo above does look daunting, but gives you good overview where the struts are.

County: West Midlands
Quote:
Yup - struts from SGS and took about 1/2hr to do the two easy struts
I was looking to order new struts for my roof which is catching on the hoops.
Which ball end fixings did you order from SGS, I was looking on their website and then rang them, but they were asking me to check against the car, which was outside but I didn't want to start pulling off the roof lining at this stage? There are plastic or metal ball ends 10mm diameter ranging from 18 to 25mm long. Just don't want to order the wrong ones. The suggestion also seems to be to up the force on the 100N struts?

Thanks

Steve
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_cov938 View Post
I was looking to order new struts for my roof which is catching on the hoops.
Which ball end fixings did you order from SGS, I was looking on their website and then rang them, but they were asking me to check against the car, which was outside but I didn't want to start pulling off the roof lining at this stage? There are plastic or metal ball ends 10mm diameter ranging from 18 to 25mm long. Just don't want to order the wrong ones. The suggestion also seems to be to up the force on the 100N struts?

Thanks

Steve
Stabilus part number 2609NH, 1338DJ, 7456VP is 200N
SGS part n. GSC3057
Alfa Romeo Spider Roof Gas Strut - 7456VP, 9461405C02, 2609NH

Stabilus part number 2607NR, 4848DZ, 5579XQ is 100N
SGS part. n. GSC3103
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc31...era-roof-strut

A = 40 mm
B = 155,5 mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cattura.JPG (57.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by amborem; 03-05-17 at 15:24.
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.2 LE

Quote:
Stabilus part number 2609NH, 1338DJ, 7456VP is 200N
SGS part n. GSC3057
Alfa Romeo Spider Roof Gas Strut - 7456VP, 9461405C02, 2609NH

Stabilus part number 2607NR, 4848DZ is 100N
They doesn't have this one ...

A = 40 mm
B = 155,5 mm
I ordered 4 lunchtime from them but now confused I got the part numbers 7456VP which you have but the second set is 5579XQ these part numbers were ones quoted previously by Alphamale
AO Member

Quote:
I ordered 4 lunchtime from them but now confused I got the part numbers 7456VP which you have but the second set is 5579XQ these part numbers were ones quoted previously by Alphamale
It's ok, don't worry!
AO Member

Idea good point about the direction of the piston...

Quote:
ps. I installed mine the other way round to the photo to help keep the strut seal lubricated in the normally closed position (UK!).
This is actually a very good point. This strut, even when the hood is stowed, is in this position. So what could be the reason in having it with the piston up?
Hmmm... I'll reverse mine as well. Makes sense.
Any opinions?
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.2 LE

Quote:
This is actually a very good point. This strut, even when the hood is stowed, is in this position. So what could be the reason in having it with the piston up?
Hmmm... I'll reverse mine as well. Makes sense.
Any opinions?
Are the ones we are talking about the long or the short ones
AO Member

The short 'uns
AO Member

Quote:
Are the ones we are talking about the long or the short ones
The long, shiny one is the hydraulic actuator, the one that moves the arc up/down.
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2.2 LE

Had my struts come today but although they are 100N and 200N they are all the same length 155mm from centre to centre of the nucke rang them up they have confirmed the two 100N should be longer but only 5mm so the picture that shows both struts in place on the hood the longer ones look far more than 5mm can someone please confirm this

Last edited by mr c; 10-05-17 at 08:59.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
fault , roof , solvedspider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page