159 Fuel Gauge Sender Problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 11-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159

159 Fuel Gauge Sender Problems

After doing a quick search I see that lots of people have had problems with Alfa Fuel Gauges. But, did anyone ever get them sorted?

My problem is that if I fill the tank (to the brim) when the gauge is below 1/4 full it will always sit 1/8 off reading full. It doesn't matter what the terrrain it like or how long I leave it after filling, it will never get to the full mark.

If I fill the tank when the gauge is registering over a 1/4 full it will always register properly.

The dealer has said they manually tested the gauge and it seems fine but seem reluctant to do anything with the sender. I don't know why as I can never get to speak to the service manager or foreman in these situations, strangely they're always busy and you're left with the receptionist!!

Cheers in advance,

Eamon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -
Re: 159 Fuel Gauge Sender Problems

Not sure about a problem with the 159's fuel gauge Mine has been fine so far

It was a problem with the 156's and I had a gauge, odometer and sender replaced under warranty on my old car. However the mileage was wiped to zero and started again.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

What Hunter said about the 156 - mine was the same
Nev

Some people actually reported not being able
to brimfill their Breras a while back.

(i.e. the gauge was fine, they just couldn't
get a full tank of fuel in. )

(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 11-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159

Nah, I can fill to the brim alright (as I found out when I got a nice diesel splash back from the pump as I force fed the tank one click too many!!). I had a 146 with a similar problem and had to have the instrument cluster replaced. I'm not too keen to have that done again (even if the milege is zero'd) as the rattles and squeaks afterwards just weren't worth it! Thanks anyway guys. I'll post back when/if I get it resolved!

Last edited by whittye; 11-09-07 at 17:06.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

D'you know I don't know if it's a problem on mine. As long as it shows nearly full and my mpg's as expected I can't say it would bother me.
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 11-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159

The problem arises when you can't remeber wheather you last filled it when it was below the 1/4 mark or above it. If you thought you filled it when it was above the 1/4 mark but it was actually below it and the light comes on you may actually have 10-15 liters less than you thought! Not good driving through remote areas (not speaking from experience of course ).
(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 09-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159

Got this sorted eventually by having the tank sender replaced. The dealer tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery and while the fuel gauge showed the correct reading after a reset, the reading went askew again when the tank was filled next time.

Thanks,

Eamon.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I've reported this problem too but it depends where I fill up really. BP, reads under, Tesco is almost there and Shell is bang on
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159

Your not measuring on a 50 fill each time are you !! Seriously though, I found that most forecourts are not dead level and depending on which way the tank is lying when filling, the gauge would read a significant difference. Drive the car in one way (passanger front side falling away from pump - can be bearly noticable) and the tank would read full. Drive in the other way (passanger front falling towards pump) and the tank could read 1/4 - 1/8 off full even though it had been filled to the brim, not just till the pump "clicked". Since I've had the sender replaced the readings seem to be a lot more consistent, only reading slightly off full when the car is pointing in the wrong direction. This reads correctly again when the car is driven back on the level again. Tried a few different brands too!
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Did getting the sender changed affect the fuel computer reading? Must get mine done I guess.
(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 11-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159

Certainly did on mine anyway. Bit of a struggle to get the dealer to do it but now that it's done the gauge is reading as it should. Best of luck!
AO Member

County: Kanagawa
I recently started having problems on my 159 wagon. Yesterday I filled it from almost empty to full and the fuel gauge only read up to 1/3 of the gauge. I checked again this morning and it was still sitting on the 1/3 mark. I am thinking about calling the dealer to check the fuel sender. I tried all of the above methods but still to no avail.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I've reported this problem too but it depends where I fill up really. BP, reads under, Tesco is almost there and Shell is bang on
Ha! I've had this problem for years, BP and Mobil/711 show under and Shell, as you say, is bang on. Did you ever work out why? Is one petrol a higher octane maybe?
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -South Africa
Garage
Is the fuel gauge sender under the back seat on the 159 3.2JTS sedan

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , fuel , gauge , problems , sender

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page