159 Test Drive.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 04-01-07 Thread Starter
Unregistered

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

159 Test Drive....

Hello!
Over the X-mas break I managed to test drive 2 new Alfa 159 cars.

1st was a 159 Manual 2.4 - petrol car.
Car feels lovely - nice 6 speed manual box. Fantastic gear changes.... Build / finish not quite BMW 3 series standard. Door pillar rubbers coming apart on 3 demo cars.
The 159 is a fantastic car.... but .... it is too fat.

The 159 is a big step up from the 156..... air con is heaps better.... but - the 156 was a true sports sedan..... it was a sports car with 4 doors. the 159 is a sedan that is a bit sporty......

I think the 159 feels like a cross between my 156 and my company car - Toyota Camry...... YUK!

Sure - the 159 looks stunning.... but I would not let my 156 go......

2nd car was a 159 Diesel.
Now the idiot salesperson told me it had 4 cylinders..... but it is infact 5! He should read his own brochures!

Diesel..... sounded like a tractor.
Great low down torque.... but mid to high end...... well.... nothing.....

Very disappointing car.......

I also notice there is more plastic in this car than the 156.... case in point.... seat pockets behind front seats.... now in horrible vinyl.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: 159 Test Drive....

Interesting to hear your expereinces. I've not test driven a 159 yet, but when I tested a Brera I thought it was nice, but lacking in that wow appeal. By the way, isn't the petrol a 2.2?
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 04-01-07 Thread Starter
Unregistered

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

MY MISTAKE... petrol is 2.2

MY MISTAKE... petrol is 2.2
Diesel is 2.4 5 cylinder.....
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience pmptrading
AO Member

I can only testify how fat the car real is, and what a shame!!! ....

Some months ago, I was driving my 147 on the free way and I spoted a beautifully brera just in front of me, it was the V6 3.2. It was actually a test drive, and at one point we where side by side and the salesmen looked like he gave the driver the green card to push the throttle down, and we both did it , I easy pulled 3 cars, than 4..5.. to a point where the Brera got way behind me, I only had around 200bhp at the time, but the truth is that the Brera's 260bhp couldn't do a thing with more than 1,600Kg + 2 drivers!!!, what a disappointment I must say ...

Best Regards,

Luis
AO Member

Member car:

156 selespeed

Maaattt Damon!
AO Member

Member car:

VX Monaro

I have to admit my 2.4 diesel was a bit disappointing when I first got it. It may have impressive figures but the car was just too heavy. The answer was an immediate remap which has transformed the car from flacid to rocket ship; it pulls hard in every gear including 6th. I'm hugely in love with it and it gets better as the engine loosens up so don't write the 159 off before investigating this route. Also, mine has been 100% reliable and nothing is falling off.

I wouldn't have another German car as a gift.
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter
Maaattt Damon!
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormus
I have to admit my 2.4 diesel was a bit disappointing when I first got it. It may have impressive figures but the car was just too heavy. The answer was an immediate remap which has transformed the car from flacid to rocket ship; it pulls hard in every gear including 6th. I'm hugely in love with it and it gets better as the engine loosens up so don't write the 159 off before investigating this route. Also, mine has been 100% reliable and nothing is falling off.

I wouldn't have another German car as a gift.
I'd be very interested to know more info wormus - my new is in the pipeline. Have spoken to angel to see what they can do.
Sorry to hear that pmptrading had a poor feeling about the 159 (I have to admit, I felt the same https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...y-driving.html )

AO Member

Member car:

VX Monaro

Sure like I said, when I picked up my 159 ex-demonstrator it had 1000 miles on the clock & I was rather disappointed with the performance. The (admittedly new) engine would not rev freely and felt gutless against the weight of the car. I asked Nigel from Angel Tuning to take a look and the results were amazing - much more torque and now it’s done just over 5000 miles it pulls like a train right up to the red line. 4th – 6th gear is where you notice the biggest difference and I wiped the floor the other day with a new Golf GTI who’s driver looked most upset!

It’s a brilliant conversion for an otherwise IMHO underpowered car and it only cost me £350.

Just read your other post about the BMW 320d - mine eats those for breakfast!

Last edited by wormus; 05-01-07 at 14:10.
AO Member

Hi,
I have just had a 159 petrol sportwagon from the local dealer as my 156 is awaiting a new engine. See post JTD cambelt.

Nice car. More solid than the 156. better made and finished but not nearly so beautiful.

The interior still has the usual Alfa failures/features:- Glove box not much good plus lack of decently large places to put assorted junk. Wallet, phone etc. Oh and "My senior domestic manager" still can't see the clock and thank God the speedometer!!

The engine was ok but I now know that it's diesel for me for ever.

All in all interesting and thanks to Rob at Meridian Milano for the loan.

Nick

Of all the things I have lost, It's my mind I miss the most.
AO Member

Member car:

VX Monaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickg
Nice car. More solid than the 156. better made and finished but not nearly so beautiful.
How dare you insult my baby - don't you know beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , drive , test

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page