More 159 details - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 487 Old 06-05-05 Thread Starter
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
More 159 details

www.italiaspeed.com

Has lots of detail about the new range, including 0-60 times and expectyed pricing (min of 7% above 156 prices)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Re: More 159 details

I knew the details already (from other source) but it was in French and I was lazy to translate it...
AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

Shouldn`t be too long before we see some road tests,in the mags and know if Alfa can match reality to the hype.
I so want them to get this one right.

Last edited by Spiderman; 09-05-05 at 09:18.
AO Silver Member

County: Sesimbra

Well it seems it's slightly slower than the 156... But it's also alot bigger...
AO Gold Member

County: Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
... But it's also alot bigger...

Too big for my tastes.... I'll be getting one of the out-going 156, and keeping it for a while.....
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Saw pics in Auto Italia a couple of weeks ago. She looks a beauty, I'm looking forward to reading the test reviews!!!
AO Member

400 brake twin turbo GTA.... and diesel with 300 brake
AO Gold Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Cloverleaf
Too big for my tastes.... I'll be getting one of the out-going 156, and keeping it for a while.....
Well there is the upcoming 149 which will be 156 size
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

1.9 JTS and 2.2JTS???? Where did they come from?, is the 2.0 JTS going to be obsolete, only 3 years after introduction?.
AO Platinum Member

Have to see it live ... Maybe AG will want a 159 instead of the 166
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori
Well there is the upcoming 149 which will be 156 size

Is this rumour, speculation or are there proper reports (with pictures, for the literally challenged like me )?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Is this rumour, speculation or are there proper reports (with pictures, for the literally challenged like me )?
Well from www.Italiaspeed.com
I suspect 148 will become 149 (supposedly available in a years time)
Project 940, 148 (3 door on sale from May; 5 door on sale from November)
Engines & platform
1.6 JTS (115 bhp), 1.9 JTS (130-135 bhp), 2.2 JTS (190 bhp), 3.2 V6 JTS (265 bhp), 1.6 CDS (120 bhp), 1.9 CDS (150 bhp), 1.9 CDS Biturbo (200 bhp), FWD & AWD, 4.300 mm long, Compact platform
Design
Alfa Style Centre
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Agreed - personally I also prefer the pre-facelift 156's looks to the current model and the 159. Which is why I was well pleased they didn't facelift the GTA!!

I'll be very interested in the 159 in a few years, I'm sure, if the V6 4WD models drive well - but unless they have a miracle on the depreciation front I'll be hoping for some big savings, new or second hand...

The first test of the new GM V6 that will be in the 159 (in a Saab in the latest Autocar) was a very inauspicious start as well - they preferred the existing 4 cylinder! I know Alfa will tune it to their tastes but they'd better get it right - the engine is a major part of the decision for any car I buy...
pim

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.8 TS

Quote:
Well it seems it's slightly slower than the 156...
Hey, even the GT is slower than the 156 (with the same engine, that is).
Quote:
But it's also alot bigger...
And the GT isn't. Go figure.

Pim
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

I don't like too much big cars so I think I'll stick with the Brera.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THROTTLEMAN
I don't like too much big cars so I think I'll stick with the Brera.
I would just like the money to able to afford one
AO Member

Member car:

Gt coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt
Agreed - personally I also prefer the pre-facelift 156's looks to the current model and the 159. Which is why I was well pleased they didn't facelift the GTA!!

I'll be very interested in the 159 in a few years, I'm sure, if the V6 4WD models drive well - but unless they have a miracle on the depreciation front I'll be hoping for some big savings, new or second hand...

The first test of the new GM V6 that will be in the 159 (in a Saab in the latest Autocar) was a very inauspicious start as well - they preferred the existing 4 cylinder! I know Alfa will tune it to their tastes but they'd better get it right - the engine is a major part of the decision for any car I buy...
The engine is not Gm made ....only the block

The goods on the Brera/159 engine?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what do you guys think are the GOOD things about this engine? Although for me, it feels more like a GM engine with a touch of Alfa Romeo sprinkled here and there I know that once I get away from that point, there are (supposedly) some promising things going on here. This article was taken from italiaspeed.com.

"A product of the recently terminated Fiat-GM Powertrain joint venture, the new 3.2 litre V6 engine is built in Melbourne, Australia, alongside variants for various GM marques, and is supplied to Italy as a complete assembly to be fitted to cars on the production line.

The new V6 engine has been welcomed with mixed emotions by Alfa Romeo enthusiasts, despite the engine not yet having been trialed by the media.

Feedback from members who have driven the new Alfa Romeo 159 and Brera models fitted with the engine have, however, relayed a very positive note, expressing that the cars were characterized with ‘impressive performance and smoothness’. The engine is uniquely different from any of the other variants of the GM V6 engine range, and can be described as a true Alfa Romeo gem, with the majority of components having been redesigned around the bare block.

As described by the leader behind the technical development centre at Alfa Romeo, Paulo Massai, the block itself can be regarded as an “insensitive and inanimate piece of metal”, with the features that determine the true soul of the engine having been fully engineered from the ground up.

Skepticisms about the GM connotations of this engine should thus be swept under the carpet, as the engine features a brand new cylinder head, new liners, pistons, manifolds and injection system, to name but a few of the changes.

One of the issues closest to the heart of Alfisti will be how this new engine sounds, with the original Arese built V6 playing an almost trademark soundtrack. Alfa Romeo engineers worked day and night with the quest to achieve an engine note worthy of the Alfa Romeo V6 badge, and the presence of a twin tail-pipe exhaust system will certainly complement this nicely.

The so-called Twin Phaser engine uses the second-generation lean burn, direct fuel injection JTS system that was pioneered on the 2.0 litre 4-pot JTS engine in the successful Alfa Romeo 156. Reduced to practical figures, this technical jargon signifies that the new V6 engine will be 40% more economical, and produce 22 Nm more torque than the original Alfa Romeo V6 engine that it is replacing. Power output has now increased to 260 bhp.

Compared to the over-square Arese V6, which was appreciated for delivering generous mid-range grunt, the new 3.2 V6 has an almost unit bore-to-stroke ratio, which allows for 88% of torque to be available from 2000 rpm. In combination with the third generation all-wheel-drive Torson C system, the Alfa Romeo 159 and Brera V6 models will feature exuberant temperament, with little effort being required.

All of these improvements have to be summed up against critique, however, and in the case of the new V6 engine this comes in the form of under-bonnet looks. The original Alfa Romeo V6 was, quite simply put, a work of art. In the case of the new V6 engine though, the looks are not worth writing home about.

A future variant of the new V6 engine worth keeping an eye out for is the twin-turbo GTA model, which will feature the brand new UNIAIR variable valve technology, and boast a power output of 405 bhp and 680 Nm of torque."

As for 149(940)...it will be produced in september of 2006.The compact platform will have front and back double wishbone.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/carrera4/148.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...4/149backM.jpg

1.6 115hp
1.6JTS 130hp
1.9JTS 160hp
2.2JTS 190hp
2.2JTS Turbo 250hp
3.2V6 JTS 280hp Q4
1.6JTD M-JET 120hp
1.9JTD M-JET 150hp
1.9JTD M-JET TwinTurbo 200hp

Length- 4,3m
Wide-1.8m
Wheelbase-2,65m

Future engines
2.2JTS Turbo 250hp
Gta?....maybe 3.6V6 JTS 350hp

DJTaurus aka sakiss
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiaspeed.com

"A product of the recently terminated Fiat-GM Powertrain joint venture, the new 3.2 litre V6 engine is built in Melbourne, Australia, alongside variants for various GM marques, and is supplied to Italy as a complete assembly to be fitted to cars on the production line.
Does this mean that it's similar to to the engines that they put in Holdens?

It may not be a work of art, but it certainly sounds like it might be fun to drive.
AO Member

Member car:

Gt coupe

In meblourne robots do they the ASSEMBLY of the engine using GM soulless BLOCK and ALFA ROMEO'S,the rest more vital parts of the engine!!!!You are lost in translation!
AO Gold Member

Actually aparently the GM based V6 for Alfa Romeo is truely a world engine
Blocks are shipped to Melbourne,Australia from Mexico. The engine is Assembled in Melbourne . The completed engine is shipped to the US of A
There it is disassembled in to it's basic components.
Then the engine is reassembled using Alfa Romeo specific parts, before shipping to Italy.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori
I would just like the money to able to afford one

Did I said I had the money?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THROTTLEMAN
Did I said I had the money?
We must all have dreams otherwise life is full of disapointment
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis
Compared to the over-square Arese V6, which was appreciated for delivering generous mid-range grunt, the new 3.2 V6 has an almost unit bore-to-stroke ratio, which allows for 88% of torque to be available from 2000 rpm.

If a bore-to-stroke ratio nearer to one results in a better torque spread, what is the advantage of increasing the stroke of the engine?

It seems like whenever a manufacturer increases the capacity of an engine, this is done by increasing the stroke, rather than the bore. But this results in a "peaky" performance.

Or am I talking out of my hat?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
If a bore-to-stroke ratio nearer to one results in a better torque spread, what is the advantage of increasing the stroke of the engine?

It seems like whenever a manufacturer increases the capacity of an engine, this is done by increasing the stroke, rather than the bore. But this results in a "peaky" performance.

Or am I talking out of my hat?
Tratitionally overisquare (larger bore than stroke) meant power at Higher revs and an engine that reved readily.

Am under-square engine (longer Stroke than bore) meant more torque and an engine that did not like to rev. Presumably 1:1 is a good compromise
AO Gold Member

Aha! Thanks for that Stori - I have learnt something today

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , details

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page