Style over function
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Yorkshire
I have changed my upper nearside wishbone today as I previously said I had to.
Further to Kevb 159s helpful info, I've made a few notes of how I resolved problems.
I think that my problems were caused as mine is a TI and the springs appeared to be more tightly wound than in the pictures posted by Kevb 159 (is yours a TI Kevb?), so much so that although I managed to get the forward most locating bolt out through the coils in the spring, on the rear ward locating bolt, it was lining up directly with the spring, and when I compressed the spring to line up a "gap" the coils closed making it impossible.
The way I got around this was to cut a block of wood about 4" x 2" by the width of the gap in the spring when fully extended, placed it in the spring facing out of the wheel arch at the appropriate level. Then using the trolley jack, jack the strut up compressing the spring, and the block of wood kept the spring open for the bolt to be slid out and past the spring.
Also for the same reasons, I couldn't get a 1/2" drive onto the torx nuts with the extension onwithout potentially damaging the coil springs, and so bought some female ring torx spanners (as opposed to sockets) which worked well for me. I did use a short extension bar on the spanners as well.
Although I did disconect the strut at the the top to do this job, I think that using this method with the ring spanner torx and "block of wood" may mean that isn't necessary but am not sure.
Hope this helps.