939 2007 Brera Spider Chassis Bracing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By alfaromeo939s
  • 1 Post By cue2

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 31-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Queensland
939 2007 Brera Spider Chassis Bracing

Hi Chaps,

Having recently acquired a 2007 Brera Spider 3.2 JTS V6 Q4, I just had a good look underneath for the first time. Firstly I was pleasantly surprised to find little damage from scraping which the previous owned admitted was a problem. I also found a big X shaped chassis brace with 4 steel straps about 4 mm thick and about 800 mm long, bolted to the body and meeting at a plate over the transmission tunnel. My question is: Is this bracing normal or is it an add-on by the dealer or previous owner? Maybe it was done by Pininfarina to stiffen the body of the Spider. Have you seen it on other 939 Spiders?
Cheers,

mczero

Last edited by mczero; 31-08-11 at 11:30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczero View Post
Hi Chaps,

Having recently acquired a 2007 Brera Spider 3.2 JTS V6 Q4, I just had a good look underneath for the first time. Firstly I was pleasantly surprised to find little damage from scraping which the previous owned admitted was a problem. I also found a big X shaped chassis brace with 4 steel straps about 4 mm thick and about 800 mm long, bolted to the body and meeting at a plate over the transmission tunnel. My question is: Is this bracing normal or is it an add-on by the dealer or previous owner? Maybe it was done by Pininfarina to stiffen the body of the Spider. Have you seen it on other 939 Spiders?
Cheers,

mczero
It's normal & a little basic / agricultural to say the least!!
AO Member

County: Vicenza
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczero View Post
Hi Chaps,

My question is: Is this bracing normal or is it an add-on by the dealer or previous owner? Maybe it was done by Pininfarina to stiffen the body of the Spider. Have you seen it on other 939 Spiders?
Cheers,

mczero

It's normal, and think as it is i seriously doubt has any structural function considering it's perhaps in the only place where it doesn't make any sense to reinforce the body... i always considered its task is to protect the car body from scratching/hit in some situations (like ramps)
(Post Link) post #4 of 19 Old 02-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Queensland
Thanks Chaps,

Agricultural is right. The previous owner was a farmer and I had begun to think he cut up some mild steel in the shed and bolted it on. No wonder this thing is so heavy. Does the Brera have it too, I expect not?

Cheers,
mczero
AO Silver Member

Pretty sure there's nothing like this on the bottom of my Brera. Though it's been a few years since I last took the engine under tray off...

Brera 4 cyl models are pretty light.

County: -
Do you think it’s ok to remove this ?
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
No.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian jerrardo View Post
Do you think it’s ok to remove this ?
It is designed to stiffen the body to replace the section of body that is lost to create a spider.

If you remove it you will reduce the stiffness/rigidity of the car (alfa wouldn't have designed it if it didn't need it)

If you do remove it, i reckon the car will handle like a bag of marbles
cue2 and ian jerrardo like this.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Agreed...they are one of the worst cars I've ever driven for scuttle shake ......even with the braces in place! The design of the crossing braces is almost identical to my wife's old SLK.....but that was in a different league for body stiffness.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Agreed...they are one of the worst cars I've ever driven for scuttle shake ......even with the braces in place! The design of the crossing braces is almost identical to my wife's old SLK.....but that was in a different league for body stiffness.
...and in a lower one for style!

As was the way with their more interesting cars, Alfa's infamous 'style over substance' tag springs to mind again...
AO Platinum Member

I always thought the original SLK was rather elegant and it’s progressively become more and more “baroque” as an Italian friend of mine would say. Back to the Spider, as somebody wrote on here, the reinforcement would only be there if needed. Perhaps one in a lighter material is possible?
ian jerrardo likes this.
AO Gold Member

The original SLK was a proper plain Jane to my eyes. I much prefer the later more curvaceous version.
AO Silver Member

When my wife bought it, it was the only version!!....purchased in about 2002 (1999 model). I also prefer the later ones.
AO Platinum Member

The later SLK reminded me of a kind of kiddies pedalcar with the attempt to incorporate a formula one effect at the front.
AO Silver Member

939 2007 Brera Spider Chassis Bracing

I’ve drove both old and new SL-GAY’s today in work. Both make you feel a burke because of the way you have to clamber your way out of them, being so low to the ground as they are.
In fact, I’d go as far as to say all Mercs are pretty much dreary. Apart from the 6.3 AMG models.
But most mercs that are sold have noisy Diesel engines.
The hand brake is on the floor like a second clutch in order to apply it on.
You release the electronic hand brake with your hand located which is in front of your right knee.
The auto gears are on a stalk, or in the conventional gear stick type of style. Why have two types of style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

Most of the older ones with pedal handbrake and the release on the right (like my CLK) are not electronic...purely mechanical. Makes hill starts real fun in a manual when the handbrake is either on or off....nothing in between. Was strange having 4 pedals as mine was a rare manual 6 speed. My 200 Kompressor with smaller blower pulley, uprated injectors, new map and full AMG suspension and wheels kit fitted was far from dreary..just a pity it was so tight in the rear and had such huge doors that it was difficult to find parking spaces wide enough to open the doors enough to get out! Fun to drive though and easy to pilot sideways!
AO Gold Member

Always liked the later SLKs myself, very nicely styled, especially the rear.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/auto...?itok=L0HysVe6
AO Silver Member

Don’t get me wrong they’re nice looking cars. There’s just still a whiff of that “old mans” car sensation about them. Sadly that’s why I’d give’em a miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Gold Member

I'd never associate an SLK with ''old man''! In fact, I wish that was the general perception, then it'd be more acceptable for me to own one!
To me it seems the SL is the old man's car. Which makes the saloons more like grandad cars I guess, though I'll admit to having a soft spot for a top-spec (AMG Line, 19'' spoke-alloys, vibrant colour) C Class saloon. The problem is that half of Preston owns one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
2007 , 939 , bracing , brera , chassis , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page