Acceleration problems - Cleaning the EGR on 159 - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

County: Valencia

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFox View Post
Hi Plino,

I have had no problems since the last changes i have done.

One extra change I had made is that I have put the solenoid back on the EGR valve metal body, and second I have put a metal "blanking" plate inbetween the EXHAUST inlet pipe to the EGR valve and the EGR valve it´s self. This then stops all the S**** (rubbish) coming into the EGR valve in the first place. This has the same result as removing the solenoid vavle. The result is the same, the engine light comes on but the engine runs puuurrrrectly.

Update: I have had the error (engine fault light) reset. So no more problems "warnings" every time I start the car.
I have followed exactly your steps in the EGR process, but for be it´s just a little more better, so I think my egr is faultly, but I still have no power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Limburg
Garage
Hi Anrianuxx,

Have you "blanked" off the EGR valve like i described?

Otherwise it could be the EGR valve that is faulty like you said.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
if the EGR valve is such an issue does anyone know of anyone selling a simple fix eg a blanking plate to fit between the exhaust and the EGR unit. That leaves everything else as OK; the only difference would be no exhaust gas is allowed back into the inet manifold.

Also can't see why this mod would trip any engine management warnings as the valve is still there working away, just no dirty gas getting through?

Any thoughts?? Blanking plate in mild steel drilled for 4 through bolts and gaskits should only be about a fiver.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

Quote:
Hi Anrianuxx,

Have you "blanked" off the EGR valve like i described?

Otherwise it could be the EGR valve that is faulty like you said.
Yes I do. Same as you, but no power at all... Imagine that you are accelerating, the turbo pressure is rising but when it gets to 2.000 rpm, all turbo presure goes down.
AO Member

County: Essex
Hmmm

Simple really, buy a new or recon EGR ( we all know they are notorius for failure! ) and if that doesn't cure it look to the turbo / seals etc: just a thought............
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianuxx View Post
Yes I do. Same as you, but no power at all... Imagine that you are accelerating, the turbo pressure is rising but when it gets to 2.000 rpm, all turbo presure goes down.
Then this does NOT seem to be the EGR valve then. When you add the plate it blokes all gasses to the inlet manifold.
Maybe the turbo is not working as it should be. No pressure >2000 rpm. Or there is a leak somwhere allowing the turbo (pressured) gases to escape.
Just ideas.
good luck
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacapone View Post
if the EGR valve is such an issue does anyone know of anyone selling a simple fix eg a blanking plate to fit between the exhaust and the EGR unit. That leaves everything else as OK; the only difference would be no exhaust gas is allowed back into the inet manifold.

Also can't see why this mod would trip any engine management warnings as the valve is still there working away, just no dirty gas getting through?

Any thoughts?? Blanking plate in mild steel drilled for 4 through bolts and gaskits should only be about a fiver.
Hi Alfacopone.

If you have the exhaust to EGR valve there are 2 holes and from the EGR valve to the inlet manifold 4 holes. see photos below. This is my EGR valve before cleaning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0213 (Small).jpg (90.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0212 (Small).jpg (89.1 KB, 49 views)
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

Quote:
Then this does NOT seem to be the EGR valve then. When you add the plate it blokes all gasses to the inlet manifold.
Maybe the turbo is not working as it should be. No pressure >2000 rpm. Or there is a leak somwhere allowing the turbo (pressured) gases to escape.
Just ideas.
good luck
I think that could be a turbo problem. Maybe the VGT doesn´t work properlly and need a good cleaning. Anyone knows how to get off the turbo? At first look it seems to be a little complicated.
AO Member

Garage
No sorry that's bejond my DIY skills

good luck, and maybe some one else can help on here
AO Member

Quote:
Hi Alfacopone.

If you have the exhaust to EGR valve there are 2 holes and from the EGR valve to the inlet manifold 4 holes. see photos below. This is my EGR valve before cleaning!
thanks SlyFox. Understood - so blanking the exhaust manifold to EGR valve should be even easier?? 2 holes not 4!

Saw your pictures earlier in the thread where I see it was stated by someone that if you blank the EGD off the ECU will measure no throughflow and put a warning up. Does the engine monioring system really record the flow [or whether there is a flow] through the EGR valve?? I'm amazed if it does and if so anyone know how or can advise?.
AO Member

Garage
Good question.
I don't know. I'm in agreement with you though if the measurment of the flow is done then this is an other problem to over come.

Maybe at the weekend i'll put the blanking plate back in to see if this gives problems with the engine management system.

Last edited by SlyFox; 06-01-11 at 11:50. Reason: missed some words
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

Quote:
Good question.
I don't know. I'm in agreement with you though if the measurment of the flow is done then this is an other problem to over come.

Maybe at the weekend i'll put the blanking plate back in to see if this gives problems with the engine management system.
But the first time when you take off the selenoid do you get any failure? Any loose of performance?
AO Member

Hello.
When my car went wrong a couple of days ago, I was sure the symptoms were just like the ones described here for the EGR problem.
However, the garage have diagnosed the issue as a MAF fault. Could this be right? Are the symptoms likely to be similar?
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by benskia View Post
Hello.
When my car went wrong a couple of days ago, I was sure the symptoms were just like the ones described here for the EGR problem.
However, the garage have diagnosed the issue as a MAF fault. Could this be right? Are the symptoms likely to be similar?
Maybe. It´s the problem solved with changing the MAF?
AO Member

County: Essex
Hmmm

Could be the MAF sensor, would be great to isolate loss of power / turbo lag etc: to just the EGR valve, but unfortunately although that is the likely culprit on many it is not a "specific only" fault! so yes, if the EGR replace/clean has not resolved the issue try the MAF. Good luck
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianuxx View Post
But the first time when you take off the selenoid do you get any failure? Any loose of performance?
Hi Adrianuxx.

When i first took off the solenoid valve PLUG from the connector and tried to run the car there was a fault straight away. LIMP mode!
When I then reconnected the connector and drove the car again the fault reset it's self straight away.
Then I took the solenoid valve its-self off the EGR valve. So the solenoid and the connector where "hanging around" the engine bay! I drove for some hours without a fault, then the engine management light came on. (I think the garage said that it checks to see if the position of the pin is correct and the fiction/resistance is ok, while pushing the valve open.)

It is a complicated valve. I beleive it checks the "position" of the pin with the current (amps) it sends to the solenoid, and therfore can determine if the solenoid OR valve is stuck open/closed or just broken etc..

So I found it easier to just block the incoming gasses with a simple plate. (as talked about earlier in this thread) leaving the sloenoid/EGR valve completely isolated.
Hope that's clear
AO Member

County: Attica
Can anybody give us the p/n of the block plate for the egr?
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsaltas View Post
Can anybody give us the p/n of the block plate for the egr?
there you go clicky
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

I have made a block plate by my self since I have this 4 holes plate installed on the inlet manifold. No changes. Still loose of power.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt2005 View Post
there you go clicky

Thanks!!!
AO Member

So, I have to order
1 x 55191883
1 x 71751468 or
1 x 55225287

and
1 x 71751469
1 x 46773082.

right?
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
yes, by the looks of it. if you will order and fit these please report the differences.
AO Member

Tried to order the plates today.
The prices are
55191883 4euro
71751468 16 euro
Both 20euro or
55225287 6euro
So why should I buy the two parts for 20 instead of the one with 6?
Is there something I don't understand?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Hi Alfacopone.

I have just bought restricted seal gasket for the location from exhaust to EGR valve. Will I get anything by only installing this gasket, without other square restricted one? As the soot is coming from the exhaust, it looks to me that this one will keep the EGR valve clean and maybe the engine check won't come on...

Please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

Cona
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Hi all,

I have a problem with my 159 2.4 20V, on cold start the engine runs rough for approx 20 seconds Sometimes it cuts out. every time

The other problem is sometime i get power judder at 60ish MPH the only way to clear it is drop a few cogs and get the revs up, then it seems to clear itself, this only happens now and then (today being one of them) I get no coputer errors or anything

Could it be a faulty EGR?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , acceleration , cleaning , egr , power , problem , problems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page