Full-Auto air conditioning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

County: -
Full-Auto air conditioning

Hello, maybe someone knows how to turn exactly Full-Auto on AR 159? there is two auto buttons but its only regulates temp and speed, so i want to switch from Auto to Full-Auto and i can see that Full word (it does not glowing red of course) before Auto in the screen. thanks in advance AR 159 Ti, 2009 (two-zone climate control)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -Netherlands

Member car:

159-2.2JTS

Do you have the demistsensor, no sensor no full auto.
And you change of from auto to full auto by pressing the buttons that say "auto"
(Post Link) post #3 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

actually, i dont know if i have it but when I press Auto button several times it just turns on Auto and turn off on the screen. so if this happens to me,then looks like i dont have demist sensor? and cant go to Full-Auto?
(Post Link) post #4 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Member car:

159-2.2JTS

The sensor is placed next to your rearvieuwmirror and points towords the windscreen.
(Post Link) post #5 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeMarty View Post
The sensor is placed next to your rearvieuwmirror and points towords the windscreen.
this one??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F4739E77-60BB-432A-A678-D1F51D29FAA1.jpg (29.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 13ED1218-F459-400B-BB94-CCD4B146C1A1.jpg (40.1 KB, 27 views)
(Post Link) post #6 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Member car:

159-2.2JTS

That is the one.
(Post Link) post #7 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
That is the one.
So, i have demist sensor but why i cant turn on full auto in cc? as I read in forums some says that compressor turns on to demist windscreen and dehumidifies the air only when u leave full-auto in cc and then turning off your car.
(Post Link) post #8 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Member car:

159-2.2JTS

That is correct, but why it doesnt work for you?
But does your airco work at all?
Maybe it needs a refilling?
(Post Link) post #9 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
That is correct, but why it doesnt work for you?
But does your airco work at all?
Maybe it needs a refilling?
as u clearly see nothing happens... aircon works very well, it correctly blows cold and hot air. all filters and liquids were changed 5k km ago.
https://streamable.com/pic57 (not sure if this link will work.)
AO Member

County: Zuid Holland
Garage
Looking at your year of manufactering the car, it will never lit up this “FULL”.

As from the 2nd series, the control panel changed on a few points. One of them is that if you want to have it on AUTO synchronized you need to hold the auto-button for a few secs longer. The mono-button as it was on previous series was deleted from the panel.

I guess nothing is wrong with yours. You can however hook on ODB diagnostics to search for any codes stored.
(Post Link) post #11 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_NL View Post
Looking at your year of manufactering the car, it will never lit up this “FULL”.

As from the 2nd series, the control panel changed on a few points. One of them is that if you want to have it on AUTO synchronized you need to hold the auto-button for a few secs longer. The mono-button as it was on previous series was deleted from the panel.

I guess nothing is wrong with yours. You can however hook on ODB diagnostics to search for any codes stored.
So if I leave aircon on Auto, press compressor button and then turn off the car, that means compressor will work and will be in use with locked car? From ur message I realized that Auto function is working like Full-Auto in previous series Alfa's? (by holding Auto button nothing changes) I guess that I need to hook on OBD diagnostics to see if there are any errors as you said

Last edited by privatus; 1 Week Ago at 17:57.
AO Member

Garage
The system is pre-programmed (which works best for me btw), as long as you keep it on auto-modus.

Once you touch one of the controls, the system is on manual. Then you override the program. Except when it auto-detects a misty windscreen, if on-board, or a too long period of the re-circulation flap closed, than it will control that part again.

The FULL indication was there before to show everything was controlled: temp, fan speed, etc. But once you overrode by pressing one of the buttons, like air flow direction, the full indicator would go off.

The A/C compressor can only work by a running engine, it's belt driven. Upon the pressure inside the closed system, up to 15 bars, it will switch on and off to maintain that pressure steady. This switching on and off is automatically by a sensor in the piping (front right, below side of your condensor). This is sensor activates the clutch of the A/C wheel, driven by the auxiliary belt (multi-V).

Hence that once you switch off ignition, your climate system cannot run, including A/C part of it.
AO Member

Garage
Having watched also your video clip, I don't think anything is wrong. All looks perfectly all-right.

Unless of course you sense there's something wrong like I experienced once due to a bad tempture sensor built-in the CP. The airco couldn't keep the temperature set and that was revealed by not only a DTC, but also by the fan speed going up and down. Normally I hardly notice this part blowing air. Unfortunately this is type of break-down isn't unique and replacing means a new control panel (>640 euro new)
(Post Link) post #14 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_NL View Post
Having watched also your video clip, I don't think anything is wrong. All looks perfectly all-right.

Unless of course you sense there's something wrong like I experienced once due to a bad tempture sensor built-in the CP. The airco couldn't keep the temperature set and that was revealed by not only a DTC, but also by the fan speed going up and down. Normally I hardly notice this part blowing air. Unfortunately this is type of break-down isn't unique and replacing means a new control panel (>640 euro new)
Ohhh, understood then I always thought that compressor works even the car is turned off and locked,soo stupid... Thaanks Leo (y)
AO Member

Garage
You're welcome, enjoy your motor 🙂
AO Member

I don't have that sensor but i have full auto.....
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Really.....you actually have the words "Full Auto" light up on the display...not just "Auto"?Never seen that on any 159. "Auto" is fully automatic AFAIK.
AO Member

Ill double check but yes im sure mine can be auto or full auto.
AO Member

Here you go....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191010_131131_1570709621854.jpg (62.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20191010_131144_1570709636339.jpg (63.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20191010_131155_1570709649337.jpg (66.1 KB, 15 views)
AO Member

County: France

Member car:

159 SW TI TBI

Mine is different (MY2011), it has an OFF button at the bottom instead of the MONO button. You have to press and hold the AUTO button on the left (which is the driver side over here) for a few seconds in order to engage the mono mode and link the two temperature zones. As soon as you move the right button (passenger side) they get unlinked.

No FULL AUTO mode… I think AUTO is the most you can get.

And I have a problem. If want to turn off AC by unpressing the snowflake icon, it will turn on automatically after a certain time. Maybe because auf the mist sensor? Mine is like the one in the attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfa-159-climate-control.jpg (93.9 KB, 7 views)
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Mines the same display as your 2011....2009 model. That's is how it should be....you cant turn the AC fully off on these models.....well you can but it turns back on within a few minutes.
(Post Link) post #22 of 28 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Mine's also 2009 but actually i can turn off aircon for no problems, just by pressing OFF button and it can be OFF for 2hours or a day.. and never turns back on as long as I press random button...
AO Member

County: France

Member car:

159 SW TI TBI

That is correct. The OFF button turns the whole system off. But if you just turn the AC (air condition compressor) off with the snowflake button, it will turn on again.

There's a chapter in the owners manual (page 67 in my edition) about automatic air recycling called "AIR QUALITY SYSTEM". I think that's why.
AO Member

Garage
Mine is sometimes tempted to switch on the A/C as well, but can also run perfectly, while on auto-mode, with A/C being kept off for long periods. Usually depending on outside temp, humidity inside (I think) and indeed; when raining it tends to automatically ask for support from the A/C. (Demist sensor installed next to the rear view mirror.) But then it will also switch off again by itself. All that time AUTO is being lit up.

Just only when you intervene by redirecting air flow to a particular area, the AUTO will go off and so does the fan. Going off from auto-speed.

Overall, except that time when the previous CP broke down, the system works like a treat.

Fyi during hot days, I like to shut off the A/C manually a few miles before arriving. Not only because I find it more comfortable being pre-adjusted myself, before stepping into a hot day outside, but merely also because of preventing bacteria grow inside the evaporator. At those days you really sense how well the system does its job, almost unnoticed.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
From my post in 2015...
I missed this earlier but hopefully this is helpful. The AUTO on the main control will operate all functions automatically including the recirculation function. The A on the recirculation button switches on (manually) the Air Quality System. The AQS monitors the incoming air for pollutants and closes the outside air inlet. The recirculation button has three settings (in sequence) of 1) Forced Recirculation, 2) AQS On & 3) Recirculation Off.

As soon as you touch the recirculation button you are telling the Climate Control that you wish to turn off its automatic functions. So the AUTO on the main control goes off and you are running the whole system manually. To return to the climate control 'running things' you need to press the AUTO button again. It will then set the recirculation to what is needed and the function might show the Red Ring (Recirculation), The red A (AQS running) or no lights (air coming from outside). This last state is usually only running when the outside temperature has fallen below a value that AQS can tolerate.

So leaving the system on AUTO allows all functions to operate (including the mist sensor on the screen). Pushing any of the buttons switches off the expensive computer and leaves you to fiddle constantly as you monitor mist build up, temperature to the face, temperature to the feet, fan speed, diesel fumes outside etc etc
alfaitalia likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
air , conditioning , fullauto

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page