Considering a 159 SW 2.2 JTS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaydh

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Considering a 159 SW 2.2 JTS

Having not had an Alfa for a while i'm considering a 159 SW 2.2 JTS manual but there don't seem to be many of the sold from new so I'm wondering if there is a reason why I should avoid? Maybe its just that it wasn't a popular choice...

I've seen 3 for sale recently, quite high mileage (over 100k) or not the trim I want so not keen on them.
I'm hoping others will come up for sale.

Thanks
Jay

Last edited by jaydh; 1 Week Ago at 08:03.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Itís probably just that the majority of 159s (perhaps even more so the sport wagons) were sold with Diesel engines. No reason to avoid the 2.2, Iím sure youíll find one soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #3 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamBates View Post
Itís probably just that the majority of 159s (perhaps even more so the sport wagons) were sold with Diesel engines.

Yes, but is there a negative reason for that or just demand. I'm probably looking into it too much.
(Post Link) post #4 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydh View Post
Yes, but is there a negative reason for that or just demand. I'm probably looking into it too much.

Just demand, the 159 was sold at a time when Diesel was being pushed and most of them would have been used for motorway driving etc where diesel makes more sense. The 3.2 is probably even more rare for the same reasons.

The 2.2 is a good unit.

(Post Link) post #5 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Funny thing is that when I was looking for a derv....all I could find that where looked after were loads of 2.2s!! Just the way it goes....one will show up
(Post Link) post #6 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Ok, thanks. I'll keep looking.
(Post Link) post #7 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

159 3.2 JTS SW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamBates View Post
It’s probably just that the majority of 159s (perhaps even more so the sport wagons) were sold with Diesel engines.

Chains issues,along with M32 gearbox might have done the trick. It is not worse than the 1.9 derv by any means..
Why did you pick the 2.2? Just out of curiosity...
(Post Link) post #8 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Not an Alfa

In my budget, it is the higher powered petrol engine. I've done a bit of reading and the M32 doesnt sound good but the only other petrol engine is the 1.8 in the newer cars which are more expensive. Not going to get the V6 due to the mileage I do. Hmm, I'll have to think about this.

Last edited by jaydh; 1 Week Ago at 07:58.
(Post Link) post #9 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2 JTS SW

Quote:
In my budget, it is the higher powered petrol engine. I've done a bit of reading and the M32 doesnt sound good but the only other petrol engine is the 1.8 in the newer cars which are more expensive. Not going to get the V6 due to the mileage I do. Hmm, I'll have to think about this.
Depends on the type of mileage you do - is it urban or extra urban. If the latter, there is only 0.6 l / 100 km difference between a 2.2 and a facelift 3.2 FWD like mine. If we are talking urban predominantly, then it is a different story. The 1.8 is waaaay to slow for an Alfa IMHO...like the 120hp 1.9 derv.
the 2.2 is pre-facelift only if I am not mistaken.
(Post Link) post #10 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo_red View Post
Depends on the type of mileage you do - is it urban or extra urban. If the latter, there is only 0.6 l / 100 km difference between a 2.2 and a facelift 3.2 FWD like mine. If we are talking urban predominantly, then it is a different story. The 1.8 is waaaay to slow for an Alfa IMHO...like the 120hp 1.9 derv.
I do a mix of urban (60%) and extra urban (40%).

The 1.8 with 200hp is 8 seconds to 60, thats fast enough for me.

Also diesel is not popular, pollutes more so not keen on it, increased insurance...
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2 JTS SW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo_red View Post

Also diesel is not popular, pollutes more so not keen on it, increased insurance...
Aaah,ok,you mean the 1750 tbi..I would be all over it if it wasn't for the M32 and the price tag. Add to that a new gearbox + bigger turbo, remap...and it a bit steep for what you get imo.
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Interesting about the insurance. When i was looking at TBI...the insurance was significantly more for the TBI than the 2.0derv.....and just to correct...they do NOT pollute more. All the usual gases are produced in smaller amounts than the equivalent petrol and of course overall you are burning less resources . Its just particulates that are the issue. And that what the asthmatic tree huggers keep bleating on about!!!
(Post Link) post #13 of 19 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Interesting about the insurance. When i was looking at TBI...the insurance was significantly more for the TBI than the 2.0derv.....and just to correct...they do NOT pollute more. All the usual gases are produced in smaller amounts than the equivalent petrol and of course overall you are burning less resources . Its just particulates that are the issue. And that what the asthmatic tree huggers keep bleating on about!!!
I live in London and they're banning diesels from 2021 near me so no point be buying one. I'll look out for the 2.0 petrol, 1.8 and 3.2 and see what comes up at what price and see.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
ď Its just particulates that are the issue. And that what the asthmatic tree huggers keep bleating on about!!!Ē

Just particulates?

And then some people remove the filters from their cars!

Bloody selfish.
AO Member

County: France

Member car:

159 SW TI TBI

There is no 2.0 petrol.

There 4 naturally aspirated engines, all derived from GM:
1.8 MPI, 103 kw, 4-cyl.
1.9 JTS, 118 kW, 4-cyl.
2.2 JTS, 136 kW, 4-cyl.
3.2 JTS, 191 kW, 6-cyl.

And one turbo charged engine from Fiat Power Train, developed for various Alfa's but also used on the last Lancia Delta.
1750 TBI, 147 kW, 4 cyl. … sometimes called 1.7 or 1.8 TBI or just TBI.

Note that the 1750 TBI is the only EURO 5 engine, all others are EURO 4. Not sure if this is relevant for London, especially after October 31…

Last edited by dksp; 1 Week Ago at 07:37.
AO Silver Member

Just for info 2.0 JTDM is Euro 5.......even though its diesel that he does not want!!!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I live in London and they're banning diesels from 2021 near me so no point be buying one.
I cant find any evidence to back that up.....but happy to be proved wrong. There will be a (expensive) daily charge for using one in the ULEZ but no ban. From 2025 its likely that all non zero emission cars will be banned from certain areas of central London....so it will make no difference if its petrol or diesel you wont be able to drive it there....you will need all electric. All this hassle for a few asthmatics....I dont know! They will make us stop for people crossing the road at zebra crossing next!......what!?.....you are supposed to do that already??....who knew???
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTS

Just make sure you either get it from an enthusiast who kept proper maintenance on it, or check if the timing chain + variators job has been done at some point; The 4 cylinders JTS engines need regular oil changes or they might encounter chain stretching issues. People being cheapskates + the manual mentioning a ridiculous 30k interval for oil changed didn't help in these regards...
(Post Link) post #19 of 19 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
I cant find any evidence to back that up.....but happy to be proved wrong. There will be a (expensive) daily charge for using one in the ULEZ but no ban. From 2025 its likely that all non zero emission cars will be banned from certain areas of central London....so it will make no difference if its petrol or diesel you wont be able to drive it there....you will need all electric. All this hassle for a few asthmatics....I dont know! They will make us stop for people crossing the road at zebra crossing next!......what!?.....you are supposed to do that already??....who knew???
Banning was the wrong word, they are forcing diesels out so if I buy diesel I'll be paying the congestion charge almost daily. Therefore pointless to buy one.

Yes the combustion engine is on borrowed time but want to enjoy while I can!
alfaitalia likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , jts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page