Hillholder off, parking sensors on permanently - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Hillholder off, parking sensors on permanently

I've a 2008 159 1.9Jtdm. I've an intermittent fault that is coming up a few times a week. The Hillholder not available error will show and at the same time the reverse parking sensors will come on and stay on.

I can turn the parking sensors off with the ceiling control so it isn't the biggest issue but it is annoying.

I'd assumed it was the brake switch that was the issue but cruise control is fine. Is there a reverse gear sensor/switch that would cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I’d start with the easy stuff first, battery voltage, alternator and all the connections.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

As above, but to answer your question, there is a reverse light switch on the gearbox, which is part of the CAN network.

Do your reverse lights work as they should?
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago

I has the same. A new clutch switch fixed mine
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Okay, inevitably the car has behaved for the last few days but then last night the error occurred again.

The reverse lights stop working when this error occurs, along with the hill holder error and the parking sensors being on at all times.

So it seems it is either the clutch switch or maybe the reverse gear switch on the gearbox.

Having searched on the forum the clutch switch procedure seems surprisingly complex. I'm not clear why the clutch switch would bring the reverse parking sensors on. Can anyone explain that?
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -kent
It might be that the harness connector on the reversing switch (on top of the gearbox) is failing causing intermittent issues. The switch in my case was fine but the plastic switch housing had completely crumbled allowing the wiring to come loose. My symptoms were slightly different but itís easy enough to check.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSmokey159 View Post
It might be that the harness connector on the reversing switch (on top of the gearbox) is failing causing intermittent issues. The switch in my case was fine but the plastic switch housing had completely crumbled allowing the wiring to come loose. My symptoms were slightly different but itís easy enough to check.
Hi

Switches are either on or off, their fault condition is very much the same, either always on or always off. At most this should result in a fixed error - i.e. the reversing lights won't come on at all, ever. Bad connections tend to be random.

There is no systematic reason why a reversing switch should affect clutch related functions.

So where unrelated functions appear to fail together the most likely fault is something that they have in common, perhaps in the wiring where the return signal paths meet. So OldSmokeys experience seems to reflect the most likely cause, while wacjacs problem may have been cured by disturbing and reconnecting wiring rather than by the replacement of the switch.

Diagnostics would be improved if people would ask to be given the 'faulty' item, so in wacjacs case if the replaced switch was shown to be good, it would have been eliminated from the diagnosis rather than being blamed as the cause. (I'm not saying it wasn't, just theorising).

I'm having my gearbox done next week - I'm asking to have all the replaced bearings given back to me so that I can better determine what the fault was and so if another member of the forum has a similar problem I can at least offer a checked possible diagnosis.

So Marknewton, you have two suggested causes, a switch or wiring. I'd like to know what was found when you get it fixed - and if a switch was blamed, you might get it back and see if it really was faulty!

Cheers
James

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
hillholder , parking , permanently , sensors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page