DPF error, car in limp mode. What's the best way forward? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 07-09-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
DPF error, car in limp mode. What's the best way forward?

OK, to preface this thread, I had another problem, link to thread here: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...topics/1184921

Basically long story short:
Cleaned my egr, after reinstalling I got a weird noise, car went into limp after a while, took egr apart again, found that two of the four bolts weren't holding properly, sorted them out. Thought this was the end of my problems.

Now went on a drive, after car got up to temp limp mode kicked in again. Took it on a longer drive, as I needed to get to another city. Stopped a couple of times in hopes to reset the limp mode, but it came right back after a minute or two of driving.

As it is Saturday and workshops are closed, I got a friend with an obd scanner to read codes. Result was DPF (P1206). He deleted the code, engine light went away but with some time of driving it was right back along with its sidekick the limp mode.

Now every time I start my car, EML is on, and limp mode comes in also shortly after.

As I understand there are some options to sort dpf issues.

1)Go take an Italian tuneup (probs will try it tomorrow).
2)Add some diesel additive that helps dpf regen.
3)Clean out dpf at a workshop.
4)Get a replacement dpf installed.
5)Remove dpf (straight through pipe) along with egr.

Could anyone point me towards a solution thats most reasonable? Driving with limp mode is so damn annoying.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

I would start by cleaning map,taking egr off again and making sure the valve part actually moves as the pin part can stick.
Not sure Italian tune will sort as it will go in to limp and regen won’t happen while in limp I don’t think. A copy of mes needed and a forced regen completed then Italian tune up
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 07-09-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyroper View Post
I would start by cleaning map,taking egr off again and making sure the valve part actually moves as the pin part can stick.
When cleaning egr, I also cleaned map (it was previously very grimy) and made sure the egr valve pin moved properly.
So a forced regen.. Do all well equipped auto workshops perform it or does it have to be an alfa-specific place?

I myself don't have a obd tool, planning to buy in the future.
AO Silver Member

I would imagine most generic workshops have diagnostic equipment capable of doing forced regens. Other option where are you located as there might be someone on here local who has MES
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 08-09-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyroper View Post
Other option where are you located as there might be someone on here local who has MES
I'm located in Tartu, Estonia. If anyone around here is willing to help, it would be great!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merekala View Post
I'm located in Tartu, Estonia. If anyone around here is willing to help, it would be great!
hi, i had a dpf problem on my 2018 159 2.4 jtdm. the following worked for me.
1- get a elm interface, they are cheap and very uselfull
2- download the free version of multiscan (fiatecuscan)
3. take the dpf out and clean it very well with high pressure water, an ordinary hp cleaner won't work as you need "volume "of water washing out the soot. My dpf had 4 holes drilled into it, about 20cm into the core, and i bought the car 2 years old from a Alfa dealer with warranty etc.... makes you think. However i don't believe drilling into it.
4. take it for a drive with diagnostics hooked up, it will show % clogging, differential pressure and more. you will be able to see it once it starts to regenerate while hooked up and driving, take a buddy along :-)
5. don't be alarmed if it shows over 100% clogging, it can happen, make a note of the DP at idle to see improvement.
6. if it starts regen check your boost gauge very carefully, under normal conditions it will drop slowly once you lift your foot but drop VERY quickly if in regen mode
7. dpf cleaner chemical at local stores seems to work for me

this was quite a nightmare if you wanted to eg overtake and thing goes limp.
My car regens around 370 - 450 km intervals, i reset trip b after every regen so i know more or less when it needs it. I do a lot of high distance travel and it was odd to see the dpf failing me. anyway car now on 220k km and no further problems with the dpf, but i keep my eye on it.
Also it will regen anytime it things it has to, not only open road or so, in town as well, you may hear the cooling fans come up and harsh idle, even heat if you know your car. Good luck
AO Member

Any luck fixing it?
AO Member

Garage
When that happened to me the EGR had failed electronically. Bummer since it isnt actually used anymore since the remap but needs to be in place and working. Could be the same issue with yours?
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert s View Post
Any luck fixing it?
I'm now reporting back.
I got the car to an overall (not alfa specific) auto shop and told them I suspect a fault in dpf and/or egr. They did diagnostics, found the dpf is 95% clogged and it won't regen even if forced via computer. EGR was fine.
So now I'm taking it to a place where they have a special power ultrasound washer thats supposed to clean out even the dirtiest dpfs. I will let you guys know if it worked.

Don't wanna buy a new dpf, as its expensive.
Also don't want to remove it, because it wouldn't pass annual mandatory technical inspection.
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Alright, I'm gonna need some advice here.

As it now turns out, ultrasonic cleaning of the dpf is a really expensive job and it doesn't guarantee results.
I've been snooping around, and have come across a couple of dpfs that are practically the same price as the cleaning. Is the maker BM Catalysts any good?

Ultrasonic cleaning will cost me: 200 for cleaning + work (dis- and reassembly).
New filter (BM Catalysts) ca 270 + assembly.

So, please, if anyone has been in a similar situation, help me choose the right way out of this. If the new but cheap make filter won't last, I don't see point in buying it. However if it should keep going well for a considerable amount of time, why not buy it and be over with the problem?

The shop I went to said 700+ is a new dpf, were they just trying to take my money or is there a pricepoint below which are parts near useless?

Cheers
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage
If you’re able to get under the car, remove the Dpf, it’s not so hard, just a few bolts and a bit of strength to pull pipe out. Probably take temp sensor out and bung the hole. Then fill it with Coca Cola, leave it for a few hours and then fill it again with fresh coke. This cleaned mine out well to the point that water would flow very easily through. After that, you could refit and if needs be, pour some Wurth dpf cleaner into the temp sensor hole. Then do a forced regen.
If you can’t do this, just get a new one, probably Autolusso sell a decent aftermarket one and then treat it as a service item, it’ll likely last longer than suspension crap which is more pricey.

GT 3.2 V6 - Q2, KONI FSD & EIBACH PROKIT, GTA REMAP, MICHELLIN PS3's, BMC CDA
159 SW 2.4JTDM TI - ALFATUNED, WIZARD BACK BOXES, KW V3 COILOVERS, NOKIAN WR A3/MICHELLIN PS3, PCA DYNAMICS ALIGNMENT.
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Yep full fat coke worked on my bmw one recently,I plugged holes and filled it up from other end and left overnight. Jet washed it through next day and stuck on hob for 5 minutes to dry it out.
Clogging levels dropped right down.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
car , dpf , error , forward , limp , mode

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page