159 Door handle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnnyroper

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage

Member car:

ALFA 159

159 Door handle

Hi,

Need some help, My drivers door handle stopped working.
Ive taken the door card off to find A steel wall.
I have removed all the bolts and still unable to gain access to the back of the handle,
I don't want to completely take the steel wall off in case I cant put it back. LOL or break something.
I can how ever see the cable has snapped.
Is there an easy way of doing this????????????
Please Help.
Thanks Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
Afraid not if I remember correct it was a bit of a pain to remove the steel cover, been a while so can’t remember exactly how I did it think it came away as a whole lump with the latch once screws for that removed. I did however bin the steel cover when refitting
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Hopefully you replaced it with something...plastic sheeting for example. That metal sheets main job is to guide water through the door and out the drain holes in the bottom of the door. Without it there water will leak into the car from the bottom of the door cards.
Edit...maybe we are not talking about the same part...I'm sure some of the window motor bolts bolt through that..so it needs to be there.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
I'm no expert but Alfaitalia is right in that the window motor , ECU for the window control and the speaker does bolt to the steel panel. The only reason I know is that having had my window replaced by Autoglass last week, they left a lot of glass in the bottom of the door as they couldn't be bothered taking the steel panel off to vac it out properly. (I ended up leaving the panel in, taking the speaker out and then 2 hours of gently raking the glass to the speaker aperture to vac it out. The steel panel is sealed in to keep it water tight so If you do take it out you will need to re seal it otherwise you will have wet carpets) With the door trim off you should be able to see the cable. If its not there then it has snapped or at least slipped into the door cavity behind the panel. If it is there then with a bit of effort you should be able to pull on the cable using your fingers and open the door. If this works it has just become detached from the door handle

Hope this helps
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
I have misunderstood I thought OP was referring to the steel cover over the latch assembly not the big steel plate that holds the motor etc...

In that case did you wind window down to access the bolts that clamp glass to regulator through the rubber grommet and also the screws that hold latch cover to the metal plate? Is so it should pull off away from the door but may need some force to break seal
alfaitalia likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

ALFA 159

Hi Thanks for your response.
Sorry for any confusion caused but it the external handle cable that has snapped.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Cork
Hi OP... the drivers door handle stopped working on my 2007 159 a few months back.. there is a steel cable running (internally) from the external handle to the lock mechanism,. you have to get access to this as if you were replacing a door window regulator ( this is almost a service item ). you won't need to remove the external handle to fix this.. but you may scrap knuckles and wrist in the process.

Here is a video I made the day I replaced in the new cable..... hope it helps somewhat as to the routing of the cable?

Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili, Guidare come se fosse un Italiano.

Last edited by Cathal_H; 3 Weeks Ago at 14:31. Reason: spelling
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

ALFA 159

Many thanks Ill have a go over the weekend.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , door , handle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page