Coolant loss update.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Coolant loss update....

Well the replacement pressure tester arrived. Pressurised the system tonight and its definitely losing pressure.

No external leaks and I checked for internal leaks from the EGR cooler none....

Put it all back together and it hydrauliced. Fortunately these must have a cut out as the starter stopped as it locked up.

I hastily removed the glow plugs unplugged the hp pump and cranked it over a couple of times for 5 to 10 seconds. Put the glow plugs back in and it started (probably the best it's ever started since I've had it). Lucky escape there then......

So it's definitely losing coolant into at least one cylinder and I now feel pretty confident that this is the cause of the coolant loss and the poor starting after sitting.

Question is how is it getting in to the cylinder (s). The only two ways I can think of is its leaking into the inlet manifold and getting in past the inlet valves or leaking directly into the cylinder (s).

As I'm off this weekend and it's a Bank Holiday I'm thinking that this weekend is the time to do it.

So before I order a headset and begin stripping it all down on Saturday morning has anybody any experience of this issue and possible causes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
My money would be on the head gasket...but you won't know until you get into it. Good luck.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Should have also said its a 1.9 Jtdm. A Rainz head set is 86 from Euro car parts. If it is indeed the head gasket I bet it starts and runs a lot better!
(Post Link) post #4 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Both the HGs I've done on the 1.9 GM engines needed the head skimming due to grooves been worn into the head by the escaping water or compression. Hope you avoid that....not too expensive but you lose the head for a couple of days.
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
My money would be on the head gasket...but you won't know until you get into it. Good luck.
I've got the inlet manifold off my fathers car at the moment, his is an '07, and when i split it to remove the swirl flaps and clean, i noticed his seal between the two halves looked dry, i will try and take some pictures of it tomorrow as it's easier to explain with pictures, i tried to replace it and looked it up on Fiat Eper, but it isn't sold separately from the manifold, my guess although you can't rule out the head gasket would be your leaks coming from there. I think the water would only get into No.1 cylinder via the inlet valves.
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

... As mines the same i was hoping it was something else .
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Anybody know the location of the notches for headgasket thickness?
(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

iirc the notches are at the front by cylinders 2 and 3 but you can’t see it until manifold etc is out of the way
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

All three head gasket options ordered. I can return the two I don't use. That covers me if I need the head skimmed too.

I've also ordered one of those micro cameras that work with your smartphone so I can perhaps investigate the inside of the manifold before I commence strip down.
(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Either way manifold needs to come off so might be worth pressurising it up for a bit,draining the coolant then whipping manifold off first that way you will see any coolant traces around no1.
When it hydraulic locked did any coolant eject from glow plug hole on spinning over?
(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Yes it sprayed out of the glow plug hole. Mainly number 1 I think but to be honest I wasn't paying that much attention as I was worried about the engine being damaged!

I'm hoping that putting the camera through the throttle body might reveal something before I set about the strip down.
(Post Link) post #12 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Can i ask what pressure set you bought , and, what's hydrochloric locked ?
(Post Link) post #13 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hampshire
I would definitely check the inlet manifold, as the previous poster said, not a big problem as it has to come off before the head anyway.

Here's the seal on my fathers '07 manifold.

There's not a great margin for error on the gasket either, between water gallery and inlet port.

Also i'd definitely be check for any cracks / flaws etc on the plastic inlet manifold part around that seal, due to over tightening, age etc..

(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

The pressure tester was from Amazon. UK tools I think.

It hydrauliced as in locked up due to water in a cylinder or cylinders. Fortunately the starter cut out and I don't seem to have damaged the engine.
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

1 more question ..

Ive a strong coolant smell when i first start the car in the morning which last around 5-10 mins but then on other journeys throughout the day there's no smell at all, its like coolant has leaked somewhere oer night and is burnt off when the engine gets hot, so is that like yours ? or do you have a coolant smell all the time ?
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

I've never noticed a smell of coolant except after I started it the other day I thought that I could smell coolant a bit from the exhaust.

I now have a head set, three head gaskets, new oil and filter and a new sump plug.

Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it this weekend.

By the way does anyone know if the cylinder head on a vectra 1.9 cdti is the same?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
coolant , loss , update

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page