159 Purchase query - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Smithy3166

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
159 Purchase query

Hi all I'm in the process of buying a ti sportwagon. It has been advertised on ebay and I have discussed the condition and any issues with the seller. They have accepted my offer however I have not yet seen the car. The seller has been up front and confirmed there is some outstanding finance on the car and this is ratified by my hpi check.

The seller has said that when I transfer payment they will clear the finance. The car is currently sorn and so I will need to tax and insure before test driving. Do I transfer the funds now in good faith so they can clear things and then do another hpi check or wait until I have seen the car in person? How long will it take to show that the finance has been cleared?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

BMW X5

Pay the finance company direct their outstanding balance once you are on the driveway and definitely purchasing the car.
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Agree completely, also, don't make the mistake of meeting the seller anywhere but their home, or where the car is kept, just in case.
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Cheers for the advice, makes perfect sense, the seller is happy for me to do that and meeting him at home this eve. Exciting, never had a 159 before and the ti spec looks brilliant.

Thanks
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Does anyone know if a replacement heater display is an easy DIY? This car has a faulty display although the controls work apparently...
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingwray View Post
Pay the finance company direct their outstanding balance once you are on the driveway and definitely purchasing the car.
I'd get them to ensure full paperwork is in order - it's good that they are being upfront about the finance but I'd see if you can contact the finance company in advance (check it's legit...) so they know what is happening (i.e. to expect payment from you). Make sure people know where you're going. If money is changing hands BEFORE you've driven it, make sure that it's refundable or that you know exactly what any issues are. As difficult as it may be, you're better off missing out on a car than getting scammed in some way - despite 159s being rarer than most other cars, there are still enough to go around.

I may be over-cautious, but I was prepared to wait over 12 months for the right car. That all said, if it's the right car, I do hope it all works out for the best for you!
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy3166 View Post
Does anyone know if a replacement heater display is an easy DIY? This car has a faulty display although the controls work apparently...
Yes, it'll likely be a whole unit you need.

Pop the 3 air vents out at the top of the dash trim using a hook or piece of bent coathanger, undo the 2 screws at the bottom of the left and right vents, loosen gear gaiter and lift up gear stick trim underneath from the back (where the hazard switch is), careful you don't mangle the delicate silver trim around the gear gaiter (often smashed anyway) and withdraw it, mindful of the wiring plugs to the switches - there's 2 more screws at the base of the main piece of trim (under the heater controls), gently prise this away from the dash, disconnect the start button and key wiring connectors and the control panel can be removed from the back - worth mentioning there are a couple of options so make sure you match the part numbers on any new ones - it might also need a proxi-alignment (coding to the car's central computer), but maybe not.

Best of luck with the purchase!

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Got the car, finance settled and a hpi to prove for the file. Issues to sort, squeaky suspension seems like dry bushes as it drives smooth with no knocks etc.

. Wing mirror glass - replacements have been ordered.
. Aftermarket head unit doesn't pick radio up - replacement with dab booked in
. Rear caliper is sticking a bit - rebuild pending and to refresh in red.
. Few stone chips and minor paint bits to have sprayed
. Heater display to source and replace
. Front subframe not bad but plan to rustproof anyway
. Wheels could do with refurb but not urgent
. Front fog lights are yellowing - has anyone fit aftermarket ones??
. Led H7 dipped beam lights ordered

Does anyone know if 159's are OK with led indicators (do they throw up errors?)

Cheers for any input!
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Avon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy3166 View Post
Got the car, finance settled and a hpi to prove for the file. Issues to sort, squeaky suspension seems like dry bushes as it drives smooth with no knocks etc.

. Wing mirror glass - replacements have been ordered.
. Aftermarket head unit doesn't pick radio up - replacement with dab booked in
. Rear caliper is sticking a bit - rebuild pending and to refresh in red.
. Few stone chips and minor paint bits to have sprayed
. Heater display to source and replace
. Front subframe not bad but plan to rustproof anyway
. Wheels could do with refurb but not urgent
. Front fog lights are yellowing - has anyone fit aftermarket ones??
. Led H7 dipped beam lights ordered

Does anyone know if 159's are OK with led indicators (do they throw up errors?)

Cheers for any input!
The radio head unit problem may not he the head unit but rather the aerial. Not uncommon for them to suffer water ingress and the insides and connections will be rotten and corroded.

I fitted new front fogs from Ebay, 40 quid each or something I think. 156 fogs will fit too apparently.
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Radio reception might just need an adaptor to put a feed down coax to power the amp, I had to fit one to mine when I fitted the pioneer.
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Squeaky suspension may be because poly bushes have been fitted? They'll sort out uneven wear but get your radio reception sorted so you can drown out the squeaks!
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Have made some progress with the car, so far, replaced handbrake cables and this sorted the rear caliper sticking. Wheels refurbed in anthracite, roof rails painted to match wheels.

New fog lights fitted, new head unit with dab. Led headlights, work well and fit inside the covers perfectly.

Squeaky suspension almost cured, new upper wishbone waiting to be fitted

Machine polish / T cut, comes up well.

Still need to do the heater lcd, the one on my car is a later one which seem rare and expensive, does anyone know either where to get them or a company to replace the lcd screen?
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190609_143243_1560194702767.jpg (76.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20190609_143306_HDR_1560194764199.jpg (59.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20190609_143232_1560194813249.jpg (61.2 KB, 16 views)
lotok likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , purchase , query

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page