I can see the cable - but not the handle? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear
I can see the cable - but not the handle?

Hi

2011 TBi - looking in the boot I can see a thick black cable close to and heading towards the boot catch mechanism. I assume that this is the manual boot release cable.

I can find the cable again on the nearside rear if I push my hand behind the bottom of the rear seat back, but there is no evidence of any handle or final destination. No hole for it to protrude from.

I'm loathe to yank up the rear seat squab as I've read that this requires new parts to get it back in again.

Any one have a pic of this handle or any more info that could help me?

Cheers
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 9 Old 1 Day Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

My cable comes out under the rear seat squab on the left-hand side, it ends in a loop, no handle or anything.

I can only just get my index finger into the loop, its that well hidden.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 21 Hours Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi Amfalconer

I was looking for a handle so peering to find a small loop may yield dividends! I'm not holding my breath though!

Cheers
James
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 20 Hours Ago
AO Member

Had my 159 for 3 years before I found the loop. It was very well tucked away and quite a struggle to get hold of it.

Glad I did find it though, ‘cos shortly after the battery needed replacing, which creates a variety of random symptoms including the boot not responding to boot badge or key fob. It all settled down after a day or two, but in the meantime the emergency boot pull came in very handy.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 20 Hours Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinnewcastl View Post
Hi Amfalconer

I was looking for a handle so peering to find a small loop may yield dividends! I'm not holding my breath though!

Cheers
James
I'd take a pic for you, but its just too hard to see, took me all of about 30 seconds to find it though, its slightly thinner than a push bike brake (bowden) cable, but similar covering.
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 19 Hours Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks - I'll take a really good look!

On another note, there is a red cord in the boot that looks like a release for the Petrol Filler cover. I've tugged at it but nothing happens - I don't want to really yank at it, should it be easy to operate?

Cheers
James
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 10 Hours Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Hi James,

This red one I assume is to unlock the solenoid, so if your car is unlocked, pulling this won't do anything, unless your solenoid is jiggered, remember you open the flap yourself from outside the car on a normal basis.

I managed to grab a pic of my boot release, or what you can see of it, mine had actually moved further under the seat base so was a bit of a pig to get out - hope the pic helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190516_091246.jpg (145.0 KB, 6 views)
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 6 Hours Ago
AO Member

County: Overijssel, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
Hi James,

This red one I assume is to unlock the solenoid, so if your car is unlocked, pulling this won't do anything, unless your solenoid is jiggered, remember you open the flap yourself from outside the car on a normal basis.

I managed to grab a pic of my boot release, or what you can see of it, mine had actually moved further under the seat base so was a bit of a pig to get out - hope the pic helps!
I posted this in another topic last week.
It's in the manual, page 102. In my original post I attached a picture of the page.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...l#post17444005 (Introducing Myself)

Fuel door emergency unlock is on page 126. There is a string somewhere on the fuel door side of the trunk.

Last edited by kid1988; 6 Hours Ago at 11:45.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 51 Minutes Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks amfalconer

Knowing exactly where it was meant that I could jam my poor fingers deep enought to feel it and ease it out. OK, it did ping back once but it's peeking out now. Might try to pull it one day.....

What made things harder was that I had just rammed the cable for my reversing camera under the seat in the location so I perhaps thought it was that cable!

Cheers
James

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
cable , handle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page