159 1.9 sportswagon STEERING FLUID LEAK. NEW RACK? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

County: north east

Member car:

Question 159 1.9 sportswagon STEERING FLUID LEAK. NEW RACK?

after spending last few days reading this forum and hoping it was just the pas reservoir ive had another good luck at the car today an noticed a lead this is under the car behind the driver side wheel. is this something that can fixed rather then replaced? can i just replace the gaitors or is it a new rack?

i have yet to change the res and fluid tho i belived this has been done as it has the back reservoir with the red cap and the fluid is more of a yellow/brown/hint of green. not the original red which i also read can blow the seals. i have maybe done approx 15k in last 3 months.

thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60355210_388078491914669_2127702450268798976_n.jpg (56.6 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 9 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Member car:

the problem happened driving hope i turned a sharp corner after slowing at the lights and it made a loud horrible noise check the res when got home and noticed the frothing and level was low. but also a leak under which led me to the gaitors
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
Gaiters only keep dirt out; there are o-ring seals in the rack to keep the fluid in. Gaiters won't help.

At least you are aware of the red/green fluid (factory screw-up under a German production director) on the 159.

Generally changing fluid keeps it clean and it shouldn't leak. As yours does, check rack for wear. Rather than condemn the rack, try a stop-leak additive (such as STP) for power steering. They are usually just Ester based lubricants.

It may save you the cost of a rack and is worth a try.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Member car:

appreciate the reply. when i pushed the gaitor up a good few table spoons of fluid came out. the res is very low and i did see a thin line of oil where i parked up although its i cant see it dripping when car is running only when i slid the gaitor up
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Looks like it is leaking from the seals, what usually happens is a build up of moisture inside causes corrosion on the rack bar which damages the seals, unrelated to the wrong fluid untill sometimes switching from red to the thinner green fluid late in the cars life shows up an already damaged seal.
The frothing in the reservoir could be that its just low or the filter inside has broken off.
I would try some new red fluid together with your stop leak treatment but I'm not to sure how effective they are, it might work but sadly I think you will be needing a new rack.
If you do be wary of companies offering to refurb you rack for a low price as often once you send then your rack they will see the corrosion on the bar and say it cant be fixed which will leave you stuck, chose somewhere that will send you a rack and you then send them one back.
You could even get a used rack but get the seller to snip the metal clips off and pull back the gaitors to check for corrosion on the bar and leaks.

Last edited by JON156VELOCE; 3 Days Ago at 16:13.
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 4 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

If you do end up needing a new rack when I had to put a new rack on my 159 I got it from Kelly Bray steering, they are also on ebay.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Member car:

This is the steering fluid??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_426219378210599_1558001959838.jpg (27.1 KB, 4 views)
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 3 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Not easy on my screen....but looks like a nice combination of green fluid and rust staining to me.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Member car:

is the rust color a bad sign?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , fluid , leak , rack , sportswagon , steering

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page