SW TI TBI - wont sell! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 79 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Alfa GT V6

SW TI TBI - wont sell!

So we've had our SW TI TBi for 3.5 years and now need a change..... however I can't seem to shift the bugger!

With this being such a rare model (SW TI TBi with rails) there is literally no comparable car on the market that anyone can price against other than the glut of JTDs, which frankly are a completely different prospect (i liken this to selling a 147 TS vs a 147 GTA, almost). I should have known that this would be a challenge when we bought it from a dealer who didn't know what it was (franchised dealer, not Alfa, but had Alfa in their chain).

Anyway, If anyone would wish to tell me its over priced or mis-advertised I'd be very grateful for any feedback as i'm currently a bit lost!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...EAAOSwR09c0CFR

NB: its on Pistonheads, Facebay and about to go in AutoItalia mag as well as ebay classifieds

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 79 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Forgetting the price for a moment (its well over Glasses....but as you say if someone wants one there's not much choice out there)....I think it's just a case of finding an Alfa enthusiast who wants one of those and is at a point in there change cycle where they can actually do it. In reality thats probably not that many people. As far as a non Alfa person buying it...well they will just see a near ten year old estate car with over 100,000 miles on for seven and a half large...then they will see all the lower mileage, newer estates they can buy for the same cash. Just got to bide your time I would guess. Mentioning it on here could help though. Good luck with your sale.
(Post Link) post #3 of 79 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaz101 View Post
So we've had our SW TI TBi for 3.5 years and now need a change..... however I can't seem to shift the bugger!

With this being such a rare model (SW TI TBi with rails) there is literally no comparable car on the market that anyone can price against other than the glut of JTDs, which frankly are a completely different prospect (i liken this to selling a 147 TS vs a 147 GTA, almost). I should have known that this would be a challenge when we bought it from a dealer who didn't know what it was (franchised dealer, not Alfa, but had Alfa in their chain).

Anyway, If anyone would wish to tell me its over priced or mis-advertised I'd be very grateful for any feedback as i'm currently a bit lost!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...EAAOSwR09c0CFR

NB: its on Pistonheads, Facebay and about to go in AutoItalia mag as well as ebay classifieds

Many thanks!
What a stunning car/color!
(Post Link) post #4 of 79 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Surrey
I saw your car last week at Brooklands. I was parked a few cars down from yours in the white GTA. I thought the price was very fair and I was pretty tempted. I have a SW Ti diesel and would much prefer the petrol but can’t really justify the change at the moment, though ULEZ will be a problem for me in a couple of years. The last petrol SW Ti I saw for sale were dealer ones and pretty immaculate with lower mileage but were £10-£11k. I think you’ll just have to be patient as the price seems good to me.
(Post Link) post #5 of 79 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

Yeah glad I dont drive to that there London too often(I understand the street are paved with gold though!!). Even my Euro 5 2.0 JTDm would cost me £12.50 per day....theivin' robbin' bas*****!
(Post Link) post #6 of 79 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -
Garage
Clean the backseats and re-take the backseat picture. Not saying that is why it isn't selling, but looks to just really need a basic clean.
(Post Link) post #7 of 79 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotok View Post
Clean the backseats and re-take the backseat picture. Not saying that is why it isn't selling, but looks to just really need a basic clean.
HI guys,

Thanks for all of your positive comments.

I'd be interested to know what the Glasses Guide says (i can't seem to access it unless i'm in the trade, which i'm not).

Pricing is very difficult because there simply aren't many at all. Looking at HowManyLeft.com suggests that there were circa 200 159 TBI Ti registered in UK however it doesn't state how many were SW and then of course how many have roof rails (which look SO much better!).

Something i'd become aware of recently is a growing trend on Pistonheads to search without identifying a specific car but simply using the search criteria options: so if looking for a 200bhp estate with petrol engine and manual gearbox with a max age of 10yrs then there isn't much else to choose from...

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...&YearFrom=2010

Thanks for tjhe shout on the pics - TBH i had already cleaned and photo'd the interior again however my attempts to update the pics had failed. *the Pistonheads Ad has the correct pics. They should be updated now!

So now reading about the easy turbo upgrade I'm semi tempted to see where we get to and just tweak it to 300bhp...maybe it will sell quicker then?
(Post Link) post #8 of 79 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaz101 View Post
HI guys,

Thanks for all of your positive comments.

I'd be interested to know what the Glasses Guide says (i can't seem to access it unless i'm in the trade, which i'm not).

Pricing is very difficult because there simply aren't many at all. Looking at HowManyLeft.com suggests that there were circa 200 159 TBI Ti registered in UK however it doesn't state how many were SW and then of course how many have roof rails (which look SO much better!).

Something i'd become aware of recently is a growing trend on Pistonheads to search without identifying a specific car but simply using the search criteria options: so if looking for a 200bhp estate with petrol engine and manual gearbox with a max age of 10yrs then there isn't much else to choose from...

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...&YearFrom=2010

Thanks for tjhe shout on the pics - TBH i had already cleaned and photo'd the interior again however my attempts to update the pics had failed. *the Pistonheads Ad has the correct pics. They should be updated now!

So now reading about the easy turbo upgrade I'm semi tempted to see where we get to and just tweak it to 300bhp...maybe it will sell quicker then?
These values are all over the place. Auirely the algorithms they use are based on volume of sales data... we drive unusual Alfas so there simply isn't the sales data available...

So using Parkers (it's free!) it sees our Tbi valued at circa £5.5k for "private good" however "franchised dealer" tops out at £6.4k which is wildly different to the £11k of the only one on offer at the mo (even allowing for mileage).

To prove my point, i've also tried a few more unusual Alfas we've got..

in November I bought a nice 916 spider (on behalf of my parents who were away): A nice one indeed: Facelift 3.2 V6 in red - the UK Alfa Press car. It's a wonderful beast. However Parkers suggest that it's a £3k car tops. Shame that we paid £10k more than that. I tried for our GTAs too with same results!

As an extra check: a 159 SW Ti has popped up locally for £6.7k. Nice car but has the 2.0jtd engine (not bad, just not a Tbi). Parkers value this car at £3.5k tops. Can you actually buy a late Ti SW for this??

As above, Parkers and co don't have enough data to support their algorithms so to rely on these figures to support a firm sales pitch is misguided at best. I know that if anyone comes to offer £5.5k for ours they'll be shown the door..... and i'll find a way to keep it to become a 300bhp monster wagon (a quick turbo & downpipe change plus remap...)
(Post Link) post #9 of 79 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

"I'd be interested to know what the Glasses Guide says (i can't seem to access it unless i'm in the trade, which i'm not)."

But I am!

Trade price ….£3190
Dealer retail.....£4930.

This is with 102,000 miles.

They are not "algorithms" either...at least not with glasses. They are based on what actual vehicles sold for (or as close a model as possible) from a mix or main dealer and used car centres. Some models do not show a figure in Glasses at all if there have not been enough of that model sold to have enough info to calculate a realistic price from. There are folks like me who will NEVER pay over Glasses retail in a private sale….and I would expect to pay less privately. But most don't have access to this info....and it only takes one person who really wants it and you are done!!
(Post Link) post #10 of 79 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT V6

thanks for looking this up for me.

the problem is simply that if you do not have many instances of a model sold new (as above, prob less than 100 TBI SWs) and they rarely change hands (1 for sale at £11k at the mo), how can that data be collected sufficiently to provide a GUIDE price? It interesting that its states that it looks at close models too... of which there are more to choose from!

I've just had another look on Autotrader and can't even find a 2.0jtd Ti SW for £3.5k let alone a 916 Spider 3.2 for £3k. If you can find them for that price then good luck.

I guess I have to hold tight and wait for the solo buyer who knows what they are looking for. Such is life!
AO Silver Member

I don't doubt it will sell at somewhere close to your asking price....you just have to wait for the right buyer.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
You'll know it is priced correctly when it sells. If you can find the person who really wants the car, they will pay your price, but you may be waiting a very long time. If you need it gone, reduce the price. It's the same with houses...

Reality is that cooking 159s are being broken for the want of a clutch. For most people, this one has some fancy wheels and some roof bars. There is a very small number of people who 1) know what a Ti is, 2) want one and 3) have 7.5k in the bank.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

I bought mine from another forum member for less than you're asking with a similar mileage. It was one-owner and I balanced the rarity with the book price - I knew it was over book and I hope we all walked away (ok I drove!) knowing that a fair deal had been had...
dc
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Looks very overpriced. A tiny market of Alfa enthusiasts are the only people who would recognise that as a good car. Like the earlier poster said, it's just a 10 year old car to somebody looking for a sporty estate.
AO Member

Member car:

When I was looking for one, I looked for a replaced clutch/dmf as well as a refurbished M32 gearbox. If this has been done, then emphasize it. (It would also justify the price.) I would change some of the interior photos as there is too much light/shade to make them clear.
mjaz101 likes this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 79 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc View Post
Looks very overpriced. A tiny market of Alfa enthusiasts are the only people who would recognise that as a good car. Like the earlier poster said, it's just a 10 year old car to somebody looking for a sporty estate.
Very over priced compared to all of the other SW Ti TBis on the market?

It is worth noting that the sale mentioned above was for a higher mileage Tbi without roof rails. And the price wasn't wildly different to what i'm asking

I acknowledge that this will most likely be sold to a real alfa nut and i probably shouldn't have even started this thread. Thanks for the constructive criticism where it has been provided (with detail)
Zoo
AO Silver Member

Garage
That sort of money would buy someone a 2012/13 giulietta 1750 TBI with 235 bhp with 85k on the clock. Much more desirable for the non alfa people.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

GQV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
That sort of money would buy someone a 2012/13 giulietta 1750 TBI with 235 bhp with 85k on the clock. Much more desirable for the non alfa people.
But the OP isnít selling a Giulietta so I canít see the relevance. I think weíve established that the car wonít appeal to the masses, to be fair I canít see it appealing to many more people even if it was dropped by £1k, ultimately itís a niche market and a sale will take time. I did a quick search on autotrader and youíd hard pushed to find an estate with similar performance and less miles for much less.

To the OP, have you contacted Pistonheads regarding your advert? I did when I was selling my Ducati Corse to see if they would like to run my car in their spotted section, they did and it was noticed by someone who had never entertained the idea of an Alfa, however it was quick enough for him and local - might be worth a try.
AO Member

Hi my fathers recently bought one, he wanted a SW, but ended up with a saloon, he was far more concerned about the gearbox being recently rebuilt, clutch / DMF and subframes etc..than he was about remaps and roof bars. I totally understand the TBi part of it, and if i was searching for a Brera then i would definitely spent the extra on a TBi ( and some ), if it was a saloon i would spend extra, but nowhere near as much as i would on the Brera, but a SW i would spend extra, but not alot more after all it is only an estate. If i was looking for a SW, and compared yours to other SW's out there's one on Autotrader in Stromboli 59 plate, ok it's a diesel, but it's also a far amount cheaper. I know it's horses for courses, diesel / petrol, but in a SW i wouldn't be prepared to spend that much more on a TBi unless it was an exceptional low mileage example.
alfaitalia likes this.
AO Member

I’d stick to your guns. The car is only going to appeal to a very small minority. Even if you drop the price a fair chunk I don’t think it’ll make a great deal of difference, just needs time and the right person to come along.
lussoman, alfabeat and cue2 like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Thereís probably somebody out there. Either theyíre watching the ads or they may start looking soon.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Only 209 159 TBi TI models in the UK, but that includes the saloon and I guess there'll be more saloons than wagons. So yes, a rare car.

As others have said, it's just a matter of waiting for that one person who wants it. It'll happen sooner or later.
Dropping the price a little won't make much if any difference to its target audience.
When I sold my GTV (pristine, top-spec, low mileage, well cared for) I had it advertised for a couple of months and only one person came to view it. That person was a previous Alfa owner and it was just what he'd been looking for. I got the impression he'd have paid whatever I'd priced it at.

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.
AO Member

County: France

Member car:

159 SW TI TBI

Same comment about the interior photos, make it look really clean. Here it looks like you used this "rare Alfa gem" as a utility vehicle.

And also, no need to tell your life in the selling add. The person who is likely to buy this car already knows everything about it. Only one or two phrases (intro) showing that you know and loved your car, and that you maintained and serviced it correctly. The rest should be only a listing of specs and options.
jdajames likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Really only 209 TBI TI’s? I’d guessed they were rare, but not that rare! Is that the number left or built?
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
@ Dr S
209 currently licensed on UK roads.
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=alfa+159+tbi

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
sell , tbi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page