2.2 JTS cold start issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: UK
Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 S

2.2 JTS cold start issues

Hi all,

Had the same issue before - searched through the forum and turns out it was the exact same week last year!

My 2.2 Brera Prodrive (113k miles) has failed to start on first attempt a few times this week - first thing and after work when it's been sitting all day. It turns over and is very rough/shaky - prod of the accelerator isn't quite enough to save it and it dies but then second attempt it always starts no problem. For a second or two it idles all over the place and feels like it could cut out but a quick rev has it running fine again. After this there are no running issues during any journey and it'll start fine on subsequent attempts - the issue only arises again if it's sat all day or night.

The symptoms are the exact same as when it happend last year (at 100k miles). Both times it began when my petrol was below 1/4 of a tank so suspected vacuum issue or fuel pump. I added £30 of fuel mid-week so its sat around 2/5 but still happening.

Last year I put the car in for a service and got new spark plugs at the same time and the issue disappeared. Since then I've run it very low on fuel occasionally and there's we're never issues. Car has also had two other oil changes in the year. Timing chain was replaced around 96k miles (second change).

A couple of tank ago I ran a bottle of Wynns injector cleaner through and it felt great but now worried if it's caused an issue?

Has anyone experienced this issue or have some easy checks to rule anything out? Might need to buy a code reader to see what the car has logged on the failed starts. My exhausts are very very black so could it be that the spark plugs are already getting coked up again? Could it be the coil pack needing replaced?

Sorry for the long read!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Worcestershire
i always use redex, i am sure you shouldnt have put the whole bottle in only a little bit each tank?

I would say spark plugs or state of battery

spark plugs are easy enough to change yourself
AO Member

County: Queensland

Member car:

Alfa 156

First, disconnect the MAF and see if things improve. When you disconnect it the ECU defaults to standard map. (Yes, I know, I have been suggesting this a lot lately but it is important to try it first to at least eliminate it as the problem.)

If there is no improvement you need to get it on Alfa dedicated diagnostics with someone who knows what they are doing or you are just taking pot shots in the dark.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
cold , issues , jts , start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page