159 Ti TBI Sport Wagon For Sale... Possibly - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By alfaitalia
  • 1 Post By mjaz101
  • 1 Post By lussoman
  • 1 Post By sizewell
  • 1 Post By Chris155
  • 2 Post By Chris155
  • 1 Post By Lastbreath
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 09-05-19 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rayleigh
County: Essex
Posts: 57
159 Ti TBI Sport Wagon For Sale... Possibly

After some deliberation I'm thinking of parting with my 159.

Its a Ti Sport Wagon finished in stromboli Grey. Black leather interior. its a 2010 car on a 60 plate and has the later dark dash. It has the TBi engine which has been remapped and give approx 250bhp. It certainly moves. It also has Auto delta rear exhaust boxes.

I purchased the car In August from Veloces and have only covered 400 miles in that time. The gearbox bearings were replaced upon purchase by Felice at Auto Alfa. At the same time the clutch and DMF was replaced. Its booked in for a service and MOT with them this month. The car is in beautiful condition.

My circumstances have changed and I could do with freeing up some funds hence thinking of selling.

I paid £11000 for it last year. Which I know is top retail for one of these. But I just had to have it. Its a beautiful machine. I would be looking for somewhere in the region of £10000 but realise its only worth what someone is willing to pay.

I thought I would try here first before putting it on auto trader.
Mavericktom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #2 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 204

Member car:

Alfa GT V6

This sounds like a cracking Tbi!

The problem you'll have in here is standard Alfisti fair - ie talk down the prices because it still looks like a diesel whereas the fact of the matter is that a TBi Ti SW is so much more (and more desirable now with the demise of heavy oil).

I'd suggest listing it on Pistonheads/Autotrader/ebay etc but be prepared to wait a while for your price. Alternatively, see if Veloces will give you a good price as they can sell a nice Tbi all day long (and i'd be interested to know what they'd offer!)
mjaz101 is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Gold Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Posts: 6,396
A clue to mileage?
It's usually people's first question...

Last edited by lussoman; 4 Weeks Ago at 14:02.
lussoman is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: Quo!
AO Silver Member
 
alfaitalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaz101 View Post
This sounds like a cracking Tbi!

………...(and more desirable now with the demise of heavy oil).

And those saying about the demise of the diesel....read some motoring press. Next gen Bosch diesels are under testing. Lower emissions than a petrol and near zero particulates....and no DPF. They will be back!!! There is no demise....none of those cars are being scrapped....they are paying the bigger costs and getting on with driving them...still saving on fuel overal. It only really affects new car purchases anyway...old ones are still cheap to run...£130 road tax for mine....just driving in London and (possibly other cities in the future) that are an issue...no problem for a country boy like me!!
sizewell likes this.
alfaitalia is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 204

Member car:

Alfa GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
And those saying about the demise of the diesel....read some motoring press. Next gen Bosch diesels are under testing. Lower emissions than a petrol and near zero particulates....and no DPF. They will be back!!! There is no demise....none of those cars are being scrapped....they are paying the bigger costs and getting on with driving them...still saving on fuel overal. It only really affects new car purchases anyway...old ones are still cheap to run...£130 road tax for mine....just driving in London and (possibly other cities in the future) that are an issue...no problem for a country boy like me!!
It's a TBi.

Seriously well done for keeping an old tractor on the road but its not really pertinent in the sale of this car.
sizewell likes this.

Last edited by mjaz101; 4 Weeks Ago at 15:01.
mjaz101 is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Gold Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Posts: 6,396
Looking at a lot of other models, diesel prices are significantly cheaper than petrol now, year for year, spec for spec.
They probably seem like a bargain to the uninitiated.
mjaz101 likes this.
lussoman is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 3,000
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericktom View Post
After some deliberation I'm thinking of parting with my 159.

Its a Ti Sport Wagon finished in stromboli Grey. Black leather interior. its a 2010 car on a 60 plate and has the later dark dash. It has the TBi engine which has been remapped and give approx 250bhp. It certainly moves. It also has Auto delta rear exhaust boxes.

I purchased the car In August from Veloces and have only covered 400 miles in that time. The gearbox bearings were replaced upon purchase by Felice at Auto Alfa. At the same time the clutch and DMF was replaced. Its booked in for a service and MOT with them this month. The car is in beautiful condition.

My circumstances have changed and I could do with freeing up some funds hence thinking of selling.

I paid £11000 for it last year. Which I know is top retail for one of these. But I just had to have it. Its a beautiful machine. I would be looking for somewhere in the region of £10000 but realise its only worth what someone is willing to pay.

I thought I would try here first before putting it on auto trader.
It's a good car and ripe for the future. The 159 is an understated beauty. The 1750 is an iconic capacity for an Alfa engine and is capable of being so much more powerful than the standard offering. Just as Berties were "Fettled", it is going to be only a few years before someone fettles the TBi and by that time, someone is going to be offering an uprated gearbox.

Good luck with the sale.
mjaz101 likes this.
sizewell is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Chris155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizewell View Post
The 1750 is an iconic capacity for an Alfa engine
Buying a tbi on the basis of that on a par with voting for brexit because it'll be "red, white and blue" Brian.
sizewell likes this.
Chris155 is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Chris155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizewell View Post
it is going to be only a few years before someone fettles the TBi and by that time, someone is going to be offering an uprated gearbox.
There are tuners offering to upgrade a 4C to 400bhp already. As for upgraded gearboxes, Autolusso do them...
lussoman and sizewell like this.
Chris155 is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 3,000
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
Buying a tbi on the basis of that on a par with voting for brexit because it'll be "red, white and blue" Brian.
That is also true for “ti” models.
sizewell is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dublin
County: -
Posts: 130
Buy a car because you like it and want to enjoy driving it, particularly with an Alfa ...I get that to some people future value matters a great deal but it’s not the be all and end all with these cars the truth is nobody really knows what the future holds for any of these models or even Alfa Romeo as a brand right now...
Lastbreath is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Chris155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizewell View Post
That is also true for “ti” models.
No, it isn't. Ti denotes a higher spec which is tangible rather than badge engineering with a dollop of rose tinted nostalgia.
Chris155 is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: Quo!
AO Silver Member
 
alfaitalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 2,405
….marginally higher spec only (and its easy to get a Lusso up to the virtually same spec)…..but for me they have far worse seats!! Would not stop me having one though....but at the time I could not find a 2.0JTDm TI...at any price!!

List of differences below. The only *tangible* difference to the driving experience is the suspension (and the uncomfortable seat in my case)!. The rest is just trim and pretty bits. Most of which my Lusso has anyway.

Red brake calipers
Lowered suspension
Side Skirts
Heated Sports seats (electric till mid 08 with memory on seat and mirrors) but later ones went to half leather IIRC
Folding seats (saloon)
Sports Steering wheel
Red stitched gear knob
Black Headling
Auto lights/ wipers/ demist (till mid 08)
Blue and Me (didnt became standard on Lusso till mid 08)
Darkened dash materials
Different Clocks
Aluminium pedals
Satin wing mirrors
Ti Sill plates in front
Badges under side repeaters
alfaitalia is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Gold Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Posts: 6,396
TI was sports spec; Lusso luxury.
There's a few refinements the Lusso got as standard which were an option only on the TI.
Admittedly the TI has a longer list of sporty bits and pieces that the Lusso didn't get as standard, though not all saloon drivers wanted a firmer sporting ride, comfort was more important to some.
lussoman is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Gold Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Posts: 6,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
As for upgraded gearboxes, Autolusso do them...
I didn't know this. I might see if Autolusso North offer them and get a price.
lussoman is offline  
(Post Link) post #16 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Chris155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
I didn't know this. I might see if Autolusso North offer them and get a price.
Well I thought they did. Think Ive seen something from them about using upgraded or larger bearings?

Can't find anything on their website though...

https://www.autolusso.co.uk/gearbox-m32.html
Chris155 is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 3,000
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
No, it isn't. Ti denotes a higher spec which is tangible rather than badge engineering with a dollop of rose tinted nostalgia.
It is not entirely about nostalgia, although there is nothing wrong with happy memories.

It has everything to do with the capacity, bore and stroke. The Bertie and Berlina would rev their cobblers off all day, like no other. The 2.5 Busso is another instance, where imho, it is better then the 3.0 & 3.2.

But the 1750 is really sweet, lacking the coarseness of the 2litres, as good as they are.

I can well see, when a proper job is done to the 1750 tbi, it will be wacking it around the tracks for many decades, just as the Bertie’s do.

Bore and stroke - that’s what does it for me.
sizewell is offline  
(Post Link) post #18 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 3,000
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastbreath View Post
Buy a car because you like it and want to enjoy driving it, particularly with an Alfa ...I get that to some people future value matters a great deal but it’s not the be all and end all with these cars the truth is nobody really knows what the future holds for any of these models or even Alfa Romeo as a brand right now...
Im not talking about future values, I’m talking about “A Car”, which, I think will give many years of pleasure, long after the diesels and jts’s have been consigned to the recycle bin.

The Q4, 3.2 JTS for different reasons, is my favourite, but they won’t be around too long either, given how expensive they are to maintain.

But the 1750 tbi, 159 and Giulietta’s are the only two I would want long term, had I not the Q4. And it would be the 159 tbi before the Giulietta.
sizewell is offline  
(Post Link) post #19 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
County: DK
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
There are tuners offering to upgrade a 4C to 400bhp already. As for upgraded gearboxes, Autolusso do them...
Without changing internals, you won't get more than tops 320 Hp out of the Euro5 engine - and even that's a risky tune.

For the Euro5 engine, reported "safe" limits are:
280hp in the Tbi (bigger turbo, decat and map)
300hp in the GQV (hybrid turbo, decat and map)


The Euro 6 1750 engine in the 4C is a totally different engine compared to the Euro5 engine in the 159 Tbi and <2014 GQV....

Quote:
Let me start by making something very clear. These are two DIFFERENT engines. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. No car ever sold in the US has the Euro 5 engine. In Europe some versions of the Giulietta pack the 232hp Euro 5 1750, but that is NOT the engine we have in our 4Cs. We have the Euro 6 engine.

So...what's the difference? Pretty much everything. While some parts interchange, they are two different engines.
https://www.4c-forums.com/16-engine-...-6-1750-a.html
hdvp is offline  
(Post Link) post #20 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Chris155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvp View Post
Without changing internals, you won't get more than tops 320 Hp out of the Euro5 engine - and even that's a risky tune.

For the Euro5 engine, reported "safe" limits are:
280hp in the Tbi (bigger turbo, decat and map)
300hp in the GQV (hybrid turbo, decat and map)


The Euro 6 1750 engine in the 4C is a totally different engine compared to the Euro5 engine in the 159 Tbi and <2014 GQV....



https://www.4c-forums.com/16-engine-...-6-1750-a.html
Yes, the fundamental difference between the 2 is the block, the 4C's being aluminium. But that doesn't impact on the deliverability of 400bhp from the tbi engine out of a GQV or 159. In fact I would go so far as to suggest that the cast iron block is probably stronger and therefore a better starting point.

As for upgraded internals, well, yeah, I would also have expected this to be a requirement.

Not sure what your point is?
Chris155 is offline  
(Post Link) post #21 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dublin
County: -
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizewell View Post
Im not talking about future values, I’m talking about “A Car”, which, I think will give many years of pleasure, long after the diesels and jts’s have been consigned to the recycle bin.

The Q4, 3.2 JTS for different reasons, is my favourite, but they won’t be around too long either, given how expensive they are to maintain.

But the 1750 tbi, 159 and Giulietta’s are the only two I would want long term, had I not the Q4. And it would be the 159 tbi before the Giulietta.
I agree with you and I have a 159 TBI it's a brilliant car, the 3.2 JTS won't age like the Busso's did because they don't have the character and it's a GM engine...The 1750 is the only 'Alfa' engine in the range and that will also matter in years to come when the 159 comes into own and becomes more rare...I was making a more general point that far too many threads excel into argument over future values of these models usually with people who own the model claiming etc etc...

I know I own a 1750 but I don't plan on selling her, ever ...so I don't mind about future values, however look at the current values...most expensive 159's right now are 1750 TI Spec, closely matched by the 3.2.
sizewell likes this.
Lastbreath is offline  
(Post Link) post #22 of 22 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 3,000
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastbreath View Post
I agree with you and I have a 159 TBI it's a brilliant car, the 3.2 JTS won't age like the Busso's did because they don't have the character and it's a GM engine...The 1750 is the only 'Alfa' engine in the range and that will also matter in years to come when the 159 comes into own and becomes more rare...I was making a more general point that far too many threads excel into argument over future values of these models usually with people who own the model claiming etc etc...

I know I own a 1750 but I don't plan on selling her, ever ...so I don't mind about future values, however look at the current values...most expensive 159's right now are 1750 TI Spec, closely matched by the 3.2.
The Busso is iconic and I doubt there will ever be another Alfa engine like it.

But the 3.2 JTS is technically a brilliant design, let down by shoddy finishing by Alfa. For that reason, not many will survive. But the latest incarnation will be in production until 2026.
sizewell is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , possibly , sale , sport , tbi , wagon

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome