Cold start and idling issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 29-04-19 Thread Starter

County: -
Hi everyone 🙂

So on first start on any day my 159 1.9 jtdm 2010 with 120k on the clock sometimes has to crank for several seconds, always has a fair bit of white smoke and sounds quite rough for about 10seconds. After that idle fluctuates slightly consistently but only about 30 to 50rpm.

Any ideas? I've had the following done in the 3 months I've owned it:

Intake manifold off and cleaned
Cam belt and water pump replaced
Auxiliary belt replaced
Swirl flaps removed/blanked
I removed throttle body and cleaned (not very dirty at all)
Fuel filter replaced (UFI)
low pressure fuel return pipe replaced (old one was leaking)
Map and MAF cleaned out, map was filthy. Car starts the same with MAF disconnected.

Previous owner had:
Blanked EGR
Removed DPF (tsk tsk)
Both clearly mapped out.
Glow plugs changed at 80k

No error codes on ECU (using Torque Pro)

Any ideas? It's no better than when I first got the car except on warmer days it's not as bad. The car runs better after the jobs I've done, but not the start up and idle.

I'm planning an oil change end of the week but that's mainly for the clattery diesel sound as I'm fairly sure the garage I bought it from either put the wrong oil in or just lied and didn't bother as it's black and only done 2000 miles since I bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

White smoke means that the diesel fuel is not burning correctly due to a lack of heat in the combustion chamber. This unburnt diesel contains minor toxins that may sting your eyes. This problem may be caused by:

A clogged fuel filter
Incorrect injector pump timing
Worn engine (low compression)
Water or petrol contamination of the diesel fuel.

Taken from here - https://dogandlemon.com/articles/own...blem-diagnosis

I was thinking injectors. I ran some good injector cleaner through mine as I was having a bit of white smoke on start up, haven't noticed it since, I also had two really bad moments while driving when a load of white smoke came out, I'm guess it was crap coming off the injectors because its been fine since. Might be worth a try as I see you haven't done anything with injectors yet.
AO Member

Injector problem. Probably just 1 and id hazard a guess at number 3 injector
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 29-04-19 Thread Starter

Thank you gentlemen!

Yes I was beginning to think injectors as I was running out of options!

I assume I'll be ok doing one injector at a time? On different days? As time is limited and I'll start with no. 3 haha. Is that to the left or right as you look toward the engine?

I've just watch a vid on opening up an injector and cleaning it inside and out and seems relatively straight forward.

I've been using rhino the last few tanks as a injector and general purpose cleaning additive which hasn't helped, I'm guessing direct cleaning is required. I assume the injector itself is fine as once warm the engine has power for days, I suspect it's been remapped before.
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Try running a good injector cleaner through it like bg244 and then an additive like millers ecomax or Archoil and use branded fuel, I know not everyone agrees but my Diesel Brera never ran as well on supermarket fuel as on branded fuel.
AO Silver Member

Sounds like a dodgy injector to me,causing a slight leak and rail pressure dropping.
No1 timing end no4 gearbox end

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
cold , idling , issue , start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page