2.2 spider with many problems. Advice please. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 10-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
2.2 spider with many problems. Advice please.

I have been looking for over a year for a specific 946 spider to use everyday in the summer.
Found it in February, 2.2, under 70k, Full service history, Monaco blue with blue hood and blue and orange interior.
Only ever failed past MOT's on light bulbs and tyres, so immediately contacted Evens Halshaw and paid a deposit.
The day before I was going to pick it up, they said don't come as the hood has stopped working and they had sent the car to the main Alfa dealers for repair, but when it's fixed, they we will give me 6 months warranty free for the inconvenience.
Following week, they were very apologetic but a part had to be ordered from Italy so it would not be fixed till April (4 weeks).
Contacted them Monday to get the car and they said it could not be fixed and there were other problems, so they are going to refund my deposit and put the car in an auction.
So with this information I contacted the Alfa dealer who stated to me that they had bodged the hood so it worked sometimes and there were also many other fault with the car, eg low fuel pressure, fuel gauge not working, cruse control not working and other problems. With the hood they estimate around 5K to fix all the problems.
The car has now been placed on BCA auctions with hood working but it unusually states 'no warranty' in details.
Question, should I purchase it at the auction and get all the problems fixed?
Stay well away from it and just wait another 18 months in hope that another car will turn up?
Or abandon all hope and dignity and get a French or German convertible for the summer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
I doubt there's a Spider out there that's never had a problem with its roof.
If it's working at the moment, it's only a matter of time before it'll play-up again.

If you really must have one, I'd be looking for one that doesn't need much if anything doing to it when you buy it, unless you're a bit of an expert at fixing things. There'll be enough to go wrong after you've bought it, nevermind before!

Mine has lots of issues (obviously the roof is one of them) and I'll be hoping a dealer will take it as a part-ex when the time comes. I think I'll be happy to just get shut no matter what I'm offered. I should probably add that I've had the car a long long time and am well overdue for a replacement!

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 10-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the comments Lussoman.
I look after a 2.2 Brera and I am on my second 159 2.4, so as you say, there is always something that needs doing on these cars.
The problem is that nothing else has the style and design of these cars. I was looking at what other convertible I could get for 8k and they are all bland hi mileage drab cars. The spider is a looker from all angles.
Also this car is so different, how many light metallic blue, blue hooded, blue and orange interior spiders do you come across with 18" wheels?
The only other combination I would consider is red with strawberry and cream interior, but again a very rear car. Most are black or silver with black interior.
I think I am becoming consigned to joining the drab convertible car club. (Except the Jag F Type convertible one day)
AO Gold Member

Fully agree about the ''style and design'' - the reason I got one. Never had a convertible before, and probably never will again. The car was just too damn good looking not to get one.
Once you've got that feeling about the Spider, there's no point resisting, you have to get one.
I very nearly bought the same spec you describe (it's Montecarlo blue, not Monaco, but close!), but a long journey down to Portsmouth put me off. It looked gorgeous. I'm not a fan of black cars or black interiors either; these are fun cars afterall!
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 11-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

I knew the colour was in the South of France somewhere.
Well someone has purchased the car in the Bedford BCA auction today. I will see if it comes back on the market in the future as maybe some garage will have fixed all the problems including the roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (50.6 KB, 14 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
I doubt there's a Spider out there that's never had a problem with its roof.
If it's working at the moment, it's only a matter of time before it'll play-up again.

If you really must have one, I'd be looking for one that doesn't need much if anything doing to it when you buy it, unless you're a bit of an expert at fixing things. There'll be enough to go wrong after you've bought it, nevermind before!

Mine has lots of issues (obviously the roof is one of them) and I'll be hoping a dealer will take it as a part-ex when the time comes. I think I'll be happy to just get shut no matter what I'm offered. I should probably add that I've had the car a long long time and am well overdue for a replacement!
Never thought I’d hear you say that about your Spider, if she’s heard you be ready for even more problems.
It’s about time you came over to the dark side and bought a car with proper power & torque......a diesel
AO Gold Member

I'm a petrolhead Topic, as well you know. A DERV would be against my religion!

I keep looking at these, probably the best affordable coupes about:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=SUBARU&page=2
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
My advice would be to keep a look out, there are plenty of 2.2s to choose from, I bought my 3.2 with what I thought to be no faults, but as said, it has thrown enough at me without going looking for one with issues unless you actually want a car to work on! Why not a Limited Edition? Has a nice spec, electric seats, upgraded leather? I have seen other 2.2s come on the market with either the Strawberries/Cream or Tobacco/Blue interiors - they are out there. The Blue hood is more rare.
I was pretty lucky with mine, having Strawberries/Cream and a Blue hood and every extra - didn't realise how much when I bought it, especially as its a 3.2 Auto.

Giulietta 170 MA TCT Business Edition/Spider 3.2 V6 Q4
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbyman View Post
I have been looking for over a year for a specific 946 spider to use everyday in the summer.
Found it in February, 2.2, under 70k, Full service history, Monaco blue with blue hood and blue and orange interior.
Only ever failed past MOT's on light bulbs and tyres, so immediately contacted Evens Halshaw and paid a deposit.
The day before I was going to pick it up, they said don't come as the hood has stopped working and they had sent the car to the main Alfa dealers for repair, but when it's fixed, they we will give me 6 months warranty free for the inconvenience.
Following week, they were very apologetic but a part had to be ordered from Italy so it would not be fixed till April (4 weeks).
Contacted them Monday to get the car and they said it could not be fixed and there were other problems, so they are going to refund my deposit and put the car in an auction.
So with this information I contacted the Alfa dealer who stated to me that they had bodged the hood so it worked sometimes and there were also many other fault with the car, eg low fuel pressure, fuel gauge not working, cruse control not working and other problems. With the hood they estimate around 5K to fix all the problems.
The car has now been placed on BCA auctions with hood working but it unusually states 'no warranty' in details.
Question, should I purchase it at the auction and get all the problems fixed?
Stay well away from it and just wait another 18 months in hope that another car will turn up?
Or abandon all hope and dignity and get a French or German convertible for the summer?

Personally I would ignore the car and find some other one. When you buy it, you never know if there are other skeletons in the closet for fixing as soon as you sorted the 'obvious' ones as advertised. It is like opening pandora's box...

Pity, color combo is extremely rare but thats life....
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

The Spider has been sold again at the second attempt at the Bedford auctions and is now for sale on Ebay by a private seller.
I wonder if he has fixed the many problems this car has? I doubt it.
Its a beautiful car that's going to be a headache for someone.
Great shame.
I'm still looking for another 2.2 Montecarlo Blue one with Tobacco/Blue interior or a red/grey car with strawberry and cream interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLUE SPIDER.jpg (120.5 KB, 9 views)
(Post Link) post #11 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

The price needs to be lower if it does have ''many faults''.
I'd be wanting that for my newer, lower mileage, one previous owner LE.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...AAAOSwq5Fcuink

Not sure why you've deleted half the reg plate in the single pic you've posted?
The seller has it clearly displayed.
(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Torfaen

Member car:

Spider 2.2 LE

Quote:
The Spider has been sold again at the second attempt at the Bedford auctions and is now for sale on Ebay by a private seller.
Great shame.
I'm still looking for another 2.2 Montecarlo Blue one with Tobacco/Blue interior or a red/grey car with strawberry and cream interior.
If you find the right car with the milage,service history Blar Blar but wrong colour I wouldn't totaly dismiss it I had my heart set on a grey one but after fruitless searches plumbed for a White LE the more tick boxes you have the harder the task.
Good luck with your search and keep us posted.
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Fully agree about the ''style and design'' - the reason I got one. Never had a convertible before, and probably never will again. The car was just too damn good looking not to get one.
Once you've got that feeling about the Spider, there's no point resisting, you have to get one.
I very nearly bought the same spec you describe (it's Montecarlo blue, not Monaco, but close!), but a long journey down to Portsmouth put me off. It looked gorgeous. I'm not a fan of black cars or black interiors either; these are fun cars afterall!
They did three blues?

I know I had Misano blue (not to be confused with the Misano Guilia Blue) which is the bright blue which at times has a reflection of red/purple in bright light.
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Great shame.
The most common roof problems you can fix yourself and common to most convertible cars.
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
They did three blues?

I know I had Misano blue (not to be confused with the Misano Guilia Blue) which is the bright blue which at times has a reflection of red/purple in bright light.
No, only two: Montecarlo (light blue metallic), and Misano (darker blue metallic).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
advice , problems , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page