Falken fk510 for 19 inch summer tyres - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 20Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 54 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

County: -
Falken fk510 for 19 inch summer tyres

I see fk510 have good test results
what do you guys think about them, anyone have them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 54 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Member

County: DK
I do - they seem great. Just buy them. Or the cheaper ACCELERA PHI.
(Post Link) post #3 of 54 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

I’ve got Falkens on my GTV V6, they’re good tyres for the money...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #4 of 54 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Avon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvp View Post
I do - they seem great. Just buy them. Or the cheaper ACCELERA PHI.
I would like to offer the exact opposite advise.

Falken = fine.

Accelera = well, it's your funeral.
symon and Alfitoo like this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 54 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Member

County: France

Member car:

159 SW TI TBI

I was on the hunt for 19" tyres too. I had Bridgestone RE050a mounted, which offer excellent grip and handling. But they very very noisy and lacking comfort.

On my shortlist there were the Nexen N'Fera SU1, Falken Azenis FK510, Pirelli P Zero Nero GT. From what I read, the Nexen would be a better choice than the Acceleras, for a similar price. Falken a bit more expensive and also better. And for the Pirellis… well they had rather mixed feedback on older models, but those new with the "GT" at the end seem to be very good though.

So I finally chose the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres. They are the less sportiest (but the most comfortable) in Michelin's UHP lineup, above there are Pilot Sport 4S and the Pilot Sport Cup 2. And why did I choose those? Because they are a reference for alle the others, and I wanted to make an opinion of my own. And I don't drive too much (~ 10K km or 6K miles per year), no commuting, so I want it to be fun when I do. I will get them fitted at the end of the month, so no feedback yet.
(Post Link) post #6 of 54 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Member

Falkens FK510 are silent, offer excellent grip on wet and dry road, long lasting. What else do you need?

Son is running 195/45R16 Accelera on his Citroen C2 VTS and I could say the same here. Great tires for his use.
I'll buy same when the Falken's are run down.

Even Veloces in UK fits the Accelara to Alfa wheels and I could find countless threads stating they are good, and just as many stating the opposite.

For daily driving no one is really able to tell the difference anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: png Acc.PNG (92.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by hdvp; 5 Days Ago at 11:07.
(Post Link) post #7 of 54 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I have just replaced the Bridgestone RE050A runflats on my BMW for Falken FK510

The Bridgestone tyres still had 6mm or tread but I could no longer put up with the rock hard ride, skipping on corners or the poor grip.

The Falkens are an excellent tyre, dare I say it better than the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3.

My sizes are 225/35 19 and 255/30 19

The tyre reviews for them also seem to suggest that they up there with best tyres on the market. The fact that they are cheaper is a bonus.

I wouldn't have Acceleras as a gift personally. Check the reviews in comparison to the Falkens. Both user and proper tyre tests suggest that they are very inferior.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
(Post Link) post #8 of 54 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Always makes me chuckle when people ask "is this tyre any good" and people come back with their "reviews". Lets be honest now...all tyres have to pass strict safety tests on grip, noise and wear etc (and are all rated accordingly on their sidewalls or stickers) before they can be sold in Europe. So there really wont be much difference between two tyres with the same ratings. So lets be realistic here apart from noise and possibly ride comfort can you really tell the difference between the grip of good or bad tyres on you ten mile commute to work each day?....answer NO. And for most of us that's where we rack up most of the miles. And on from there even if you can get the car on your favourite backroads at the weekend how often can you drive hard enough for long enough to tell that one tyre might be 10 percent better than another one. If you are a track day addict then yes...that bit of extra feel or wet whether grip could be noticeable....probably (but if you are doing many track days in a 159/Brera you have bought the wrong car!!). My car came with a mix of various budget tyres (every one was different!)....and I left them on until they wore out....now have a set of midrange matched tyres....cant tell them apart from the old ones in normal driving to be honest or even on my rare B road blasts......and if most of you were honest neither could you!! People read a few iffy reviews of a certain tyre and then (having NEVER used them personally) jump on the band wagon and say how bad they are. Most tests in mags etc are done under controlled conditions on the racetrack....they have to be or even professional drivers like them would struggle to tell them apart!!! Anyway buy the whichever ones of you want....but IMO its (mainly) money down the drain to buy expensive ones. But you can be happy in the knowledge that most of the extra cash you pay was not to make better tyres but to fund all the racing drivers and teams that they sponsor and your hard earned helps pay for!
lussoman, nogrip and hdvp like this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 54 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Alfaitalia - well done, what a great post.
For people who insist on starting yet another thread on tyres week in week out, your post needs to be copied in. A pity it can't be done automatically (any mods reading this?).

That's all that needs to be said on the bloody tyre issue, period.
(Post Link) post #10 of 54 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

well in my country for that tyre size I have like only 3 options:
1. Michelin or Continental - 200-220€
2. Falken - 150€
3. Cheap brand you guys never heard of - 67€

All comments coming from experiences can help me.
My routes are like you said mostly city roads, but also open roads with lot of mud on them, so going super cheep not really an option
What I wanted/want to hear is if anyone had any issues with them later, after 2 years or so.
AO Member

County: France

Member car:

159 SW TI TBI

alfaitalia, I don't know if you posted this in reaction to my post, but i feel like you aimed at me. Most of what you said does not make sense, and that's not just because you forget to structure your text with paragraphs.

Just because you don't make the difference between a chinese traktor tyre and and a good uhp tyre doesn't mean that no one else will make a difference. It's like tasting wine and cheese, you need to learn it to enjoy it.

What is true, is that it will be feel a difference if you only commute in trafic jams. I only use my car on week-end for driving around and enjoying the ride.

I don't trust reviews too much. I prefer to gather opinions that are shared by real users. And I try to make my own opinion (and share it afterwards). I had some really bad tyres from Nokian, they felt like driving on tram rails all the the time. And they lasted half the milage than (cheaper) Continental tyres. But car magazine reviewers praised them above all others. Most of those tests are sponsored.

And concerning the tyre labels, they are very approximate and you shouldn't rely on them. They are an obligation by the EU, comparable to labels on fridges and so on. Tyre makers make their ratings in house, on their own. And they only include 3 aspects: rolling resistance, wet grip and outside noise. They don't give any information about handling, braking, aqua planing, durability and other important features of a tyre.
symon and Sportwagon Ben like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I'm sorry, but I can tell the difference between cheap and decent tyres, I don't do so many motorway miles nowadays, so my tyres do a mix of A & B roads - I've always specced the best tyres I can afford when I've had to replace them, but when I've bought the car, I run whatever's on there.

I don't care what people say about Acceleras, Mine had a full set when I bought it, and they were hellishly noisy, the sidewalls flexed alarmingly for UHD tyres, they had serious trouble putting the power down when the road was damp, and before I had them changed, one of them had started to break up inside apparently. That said, they did last for 11k of my driving.

I had a set of Michelin PS4 S fitted, and it was like night and day - road noise diminished and the difference in rolling resistance... it felt like the car had been let off a leash.

I wouldn't fit Acceleras again, unless I was selling the car on and it needed a tyre or 2.
symon likes this.

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Another tyre worth looking at is the Avon zv7, national tyres have great deals on with them, I just had a set of 4, 2 225 40 19 and 2 255 35 19 fitted at my house for £401 including a 10% off code off the net and I am very pleased with them, much quieter and grip better than the half worn factory Goodyears that were on there.

I am a massive believer that tyres are the most important thing to spend your money on.

I have just bought my 159 a few weeks ago, it has Accelaras on the front and something else just as cheap if not cheaper on the back. The road noise is pretty horrendous on some roads but what's worse is that when it rains the understeer is ridiculous, nevermind just trying to pull away. I don't like replacing tyres with plenty of tread but these a bloody terrible. I am going to check the tyre pressures on friday on the off chance this is the reason I cannot go around corners in the wet.
symon likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Always makes me chuckle when people ask "is this tyre any good" and people come back with their "reviews". Lets be honest now...all tyres have to pass strict safety tests on grip, noise and wear etc (and are all rated accordingly on their sidewalls or stickers) before they can be sold in Europe. So there really wont be much difference between two tyres with the same ratings. So lets be realistic here apart from noise and possibly ride comfort can you really tell the difference between the grip of good or bad tyres on you ten mile commute to work each day?....answer NO. And for most of us that's where we rack up most of the miles. And on from there even if you can get the car on your favourite backroads at the weekend how often can you drive hard enough for long enough to tell that one tyre might be 10 percent better than another one. If you are a track day addict then yes...that bit of extra feel or wet whether grip could be noticeable....probably (but if you are doing many track days in a 159/Brera you have bought the wrong car!!). My car came with a mix of various budget tyres (every one was different!)....and I left them on until they wore out....now have a set of midrange matched tyres....cant tell them apart from the old ones in normal driving to be honest or even on my rare B road blasts......and if most of you were honest neither could you!! People read a few iffy reviews of a certain tyre and then (having NEVER used them personally) jump on the band wagon and say how bad they are. Most tests in mags etc are done under controlled conditions on the racetrack....they have to be or even professional drivers like them would struggle to tell them apart!!! Anyway buy the whichever ones of you want....but IMO its (mainly) money down the drain to buy expensive ones. But you can be happy in the knowledge that most of the extra cash you pay was not to make better tyres but to fund all the racing drivers and teams that they sponsor and your hard earned helps pay for!
I am sorry, but with the greatest respect you are talking twaddle. Tyres don't have to meet certain standards for grip. All they are required to do is provide an EU label for which they test the tyres themselves with.

Have a look at a proper tyre test like this one and tell me all tyres are the same...

2019 Summer 53 Tyre Braking Shootout - Tyre Reviews

It is true that in normal driving you might not feel a whole lot of difference, but if you are on the motorway and for whatever reason you need to stop in a hurry the cheaper tyres tested there take 11m longer to stop from 60mph (The difference at 70mph will be even greater)

That could easily be the difference between stopping and piling into the car in front or any other obstruction

You don't need to spend a fortune to get decent tyres, mid range tyres are pretty much as good as premium ones in many instances and often only cost a few pounds per tyre more. On a pence per mile basis the difference is the square root of bugger all.

I also find it stange that as a site full of car enthusiasts, many people spend lots of time and money on their cars yet they penny pinch on one of the most important part "Because they are all the same" and "They are all made to a certain standard". Well yes they are, but meeting a standard and comfortably exceeding it are two different things altogether.

We do get too many tyre threads, but those who take the time to research their purchase generally do so because they want the best for their car. Otherwise they would just head over to Camskill or Tyreleader and order a set of Luckyland Happy Gallops or similar (And yes that is a real tyre brand)
bigjim and alfahemi like this.
AO Silver Member

Like anything else...you pay for the name....are Levi jeans really four times as good as ones from Next or whatever...of course they are not....are there lots of people gullible enough to still buy them and argue why they are worth it...yes there are. I think you can see what I'm saying.
I'm not staying the big brands are not any better...they are just not so much better as to justify the price...sponsorship sites not come cheap....go to pay for it somehow. I probably do more miles that most on here and carry my family a lot of the times....if I thought I could get a real benefit in handling or safety then I would pay the money. All tyres are a compromise...so that tyre that you love for its limitless grip in the dry well almost certainly be nowhere near as good in the wet as another tyre designed with wet weather in mind. So the best your can realistically claim is that one tyre is better in a certain situation than another....but not that its better all round. And if you can find one that's a great compromise between the two then the chances are it's got such a soft compound it will last about 5 minutes! And those hinting that I'm just a slow old driver pootling about in heavy traffic so no wonder I can't feel the difference....well I'm an ex racer...both a four wheels (hatchbacks) and two ...club level production bikes in the early 90s ((GSXR-1100)....bikes are way more sensitive to tyres than cars by the way).....so I don't hang about when I can get away with it and I'm alone in the car. Anyway each to there own.
PS Although the EU tyres stickers are done by the manufacturers since the original test facility could not keep up...they are done under a strict set of guidelines and a frequently spot check for compliance....so are a good comparison when comparing the tested points....and the only real comparison we have.

Trouble is that a tyre that works well in one car (or even in one size) might not work well on another car or with a different profile etc....so to say that one tyre is great without qualifying the cars model or use is pointless.

I'll leave it there. Thank you and goodnight!
hdvp likes this.
AO Member

Love all the fanboys that paid premium ££ for their sponser brand tyres are all over this now. I like the wine comparisson.
All the wine snobs are fooled for price over and over again if they can't see the bottle..

15 years ago I worked for a clothing company.
They had their budget line T-Shirts made in Bangladesh. Company paid USD 0.80 for a T-shirt from the manufactor.
When sold in a shopping mall you would have to pay 15£ for this T-shirt.

It's comparable to running shoes. A high brand shoe is made in SE Asia for 10£ in production cost and sold in UK for 150£.
The almost exact same shoe is made on the same production plant for 10£ and sold as unknown brand for 25£.

But of course the unknown brand name shoe is really lousy and the brand one makes you run faster, last longer and have better grip on both tarmac and gravel.

Back to tires:
According to my very extended test the Falken FK510 have excellent grip in wet AND dry conditions, they last at least 40.000 km and they are silent as a ninja.
Now that's a good review

If "blind tested" (with out knowing) no one could hardly tell what tyre brand they were running, nor the cost.
AO Member

Oh - forgot to add this one:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=878322&i=40

Quote:
EP Tyres, who produce the Accelera brand, also make Continental tyres under license for far-eastern and southern hemisphere OEM supply. There'll be those who say that doesn't make a difference and they are still ditchfinders because that's just the way things are, but I'll let the more intelligent people work out for themselves what effect that will have on the general quality and value of the product.

Incidentally, some of the EP manufactured Continentals make it back here on the grey market (they'll say 'Made in Indonesia' on them) or even on production line cars, and the Accelera Phi uses (almost) the same tread pattern as the Conti Sport Contact 2. Some folks at Continental are not too happy about people knowing about the association though.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I'm sorry, but comparing tyres to a t-shirt is not the same, a t-shirt is basic and can be made anywhere, by almost anybody, and the fabric probably turns up at the factory to be cut and stitched together - tyre tread patterns and resulting driving characteristics take hell of a lot of design, testing and science - You might as well be saying that a Dacia is equivalent to a Lamborghini - it's got 4 wheels and an engine after all....

I actually was aware that Accelera used a Continental tread pattern, albeit an old one - but its the compounds that make the difference, and ultimately the compounds which dictate wear and performance across temperature ranges - you're paying extra for the name, granted - but you're also paying for the science and the expertise behind them.

I'd be interested to see if anyone could bring up the related performance tests for the Continental SC2 and equivalent Accelera and see how they compare - The EU labeling ratings for the Acceleras I had were far worse than the ratings for the ones I replaced them with - so not really comparable - although apparently there was only 2dB in the noise ratings - not exactly sure how....

To add to @alfaitalia 's note above about different characteristics and different tyre sizes for the same tyre - many people on here have no issues with the Acceleras at 19", plenty of people complaining about the same tyre at 18" and below though, and I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised how capable the Acceleras were in the dry at least.

Call us fanboys all you like, if it's mine and my family's safety at risk, the added cost for premium tyres doesn't even come into it.

OP - buy the Falkens if you like, tell us your thoughts - it'd be good to have some alternative tyres, the odd size of the Ti wheels makes decent tyres a bit of a limited choice.

Last edited by amfalconer; 4 Days Ago at 08:44.
AO Silver Member

In the nanny state we live in!!....if they were actually putting you or your families life at risk (as long as you drive in the way and conditions they were designed for.....so that means no track days on winter tyres etc!)do you really think they would be allowed to be sold here??
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Of course not, maybe I should clarify, I don't generally drive like a prat with family in the car, but as many other drivers do, I'm glad my tyres can help stop me in time, or avoid sharp bends, or put the power down should I need to move out the way.
AO Silver Member

On the noise rating that you mention.....db ratings are logarithmic …...so a 6db increase is actually 4 times as loud to the human ear. So your tyres claim of 2db louder certainly would be noticeable.

eg...10dB is 10 times more loud than 1dB, while 20dB is 100 times more loud than 1dB!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I did know that, I have training in building design - my new tyres should actually be 2db louder than the old ones - when in fact, they're much quieter.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
I'm sorry, but comparing tyres to a t-shirt is not the same.....

Call us fanboys all you like, if it's mine and my family's safety at risk, the added cost for premium tyres doesn't even come into it.
Did I compare t-shirts with tyres? I was just pointing at costs.....

And pulling the "familiy safety card" is pointless. A new Volvo would be a lot safer for the concerned..
One could also slip and fall in cheap shoes - the list could go on.

Lots don't even replace their 100.000 km old suspension, and then concern about tyres?

Yeeez, we're talking tyres for a 14 year old designed family sedan from Italy...
Not exactly state of the art technology in 2019...

Comparing tyres is fishy business anyway, and all want to defend their dear investment.
My last word in this..
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Right - this is my last word(s) also.

Agree about the Volvo - we've had a few, still have a V70 - great car - I can't afford a new one though - and yes you could fall in cheap shoes, you'd most likely get up, brush yourself off and skulk off with an embarrassed look on your face - hard to do when you've had a head on at 60mph or more on a fast B road.

Yes, lots of people won't replace their suspension.... I would if I felt it necessary - we might be talking about a 14year old sedan, there's no reason that it's roadholding and performance can't be improved, or even maintained though - it's like saying it's rubbish anyway, so why not put more rubbish bits on??

Yes I'm defending my dear purchase, and believe me it was dear - but I take more umbrage in the fact people are pretty much telling me I can't tell the difference between my new premium tyres, and my budget old ones.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
falken , fk510 , inch , summer , tyres