2.2 Brera engine rattle on start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 15-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
2.2 Brera engine rattle on start

For the past few months my Brera has had a rattle on start up, irrespective if engine is hot or cold. It lasts about 3 seconds and the goes, no odd sounds when driving. Car's done 56k 07 plate and timing chain replaced by Autolusso at 31k when warning code came up. Cars been regularly serviced with oil change. Any ideas? It can't be the chain again surely! I don't want another expensive bill. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
You would get the P0016 code if it was the chain....and you get that quite a while before any rattling. Could be the variators taking a while to pressurise.....possibly need replacing. Difficult to know without hearing it. Can you post a video?
AO Silver Member

County: -
Not necessarily. The code will only display if the timing slips out of alignment. Sounds like it could be a hydraulic tensioner.

The car could do with an inspection. Donít leave it to chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

2006 159 2.2jts

If it was the chain the rattle would be permanent, what you have is something that sorts itself out quickly once the engine is running. You could try cleaning the camshaft solenoids to see if that helps, they control the oil pressure for the valve timing and if they were starting to stick that could be your problem. It's a quick and easy job that only needs 8 & 10mm sockets and some petrol for soaking them in and carb cleaner to flush them out with.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Mine's been doing it for years, but only for the first start up of the day when cold. It also revs to about 1500 on start up before settling down to 750 when cold. No issues when warm.
My GTV did exactly the same as well. Always assumed it was just a variator issue.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 16-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Mine's been doing it for years, but only for the first start up of the day when cold. It also revs to about 1500 on start up before settling down to 750 when cold. No issues when warm.
My GTV did exactly the same as well. Always assumed it was just a variator issue.
Same as you it starts to 1600rpm then immediately comes down to 1000rpm when noise stops. If variator is this a must change and wouldn't Autolusso have replaced when changing the chain?
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
As mine's been doing it for years, and my GTV before it, I don't see it as a 'must change'.
If it is a variator, and I'm not certain it is, it's a job that's usually done at the same time as the timing chain (or belt), but I guess it's not the end of the world if it isn't.
My chain was changed over 4 years ago.

It's possible that it could be a tensioner as Clay suggests.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brera , engine , rattle , start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page