235/40/19 - Best Tyres? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 12-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: UK
Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 S

235/40/19 - Best Tyres?

Brera 2.2 Prodrive

Front tyres will need replaced soon and considering my options. Have always used Pirelli P Zero all round but there are a number of other tyres that get similarly good reviews. While the Pirellis are good, I'm not exactly blown away given that they are amongst the most expensive available in this size. Wet grip and noise could be better IMO.

Does anyone else have recommendations? The rears aren't too far behind so if I did change they'd follow suit quickly. I'm sure my 20mph crawl to work on the motorway with unmatched tyres for a month or two will be just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Iím in the same boat, find my Pirelliís lacking in the same areas. When my set wears through Iíll be looking to try the Michelin pilot sports. Shouldnít be much difference in price and they always get glowing reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I've just had Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S fitted all round yesterday, and so far very impressed - I previously had a set of Acceleras which came with the car - the lateral grip in the dry was OK, but the noise, wet grip and comfort wasn't great - and they took a hell of a lot of balancing.

The new ones are super quiet, haven't had a chance to properly test them yet, but seem to be better in all aspects, and rolling resistance is far less - I'm expecting decent economy gains.

I almost got the Dunlop SportMaxx's which have decent write ups, but as a friend could get me the Michelins fitted for about £150 a corner, I decided to get them instead.

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes

Last edited by amfalconer; 07-05-19 at 08:16.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDM TI

Currently running with Uniroyal Rainsport 3 all round after a couple of years on Pirelli P Zero, Found the Pirelli's lost a lot of there performance once worn, not so on the Uniroyal's.
AO Member

Falken FK510s. On tyre reviews they came second in the latest Autobild tyre test. Pleased after 5,000 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #6 of 32 Old 12-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 S

The Rainsport did catch my eye, could be good given the 382 days of rain we get every year in Glasgow.

Do you feel like the wet ability comes at the expense of dry ability? Or any other compromises?
AO Member

County: -
Has anyone tried the Avon ZV7 on a 159 Ti ?

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s393..._Noise%3A_70dB

Iíve got the ZV5 on my 916 Spider, which only gets out in the dry so no clue about wet performance etc.

AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Best Tyres? Ö.define best.

What do you want from your tyres. Long life for high miles motorway use? Ultimate grip for fast road use and the odd track day? Wet weather grip? On the limit handling for those twisty back lanes? Every tyre is a compromise and none will excel at all that. My views of which is the best tyre might not be yours due to us using the cars differently.
AO Member

County: France

Member car:

159 SW TI TBI

Older tyres (and rubber in general) tend to get harder and louder over the years. So it's not unusual that the new tyres are very quieter than the ones they replace. It is quite difficult to compare those two, old and new, tyres objectively.

I'm currently looking for a set of 4 new tyres in 235/40 R19 96Y and I have narrowed down my search to 3 models : Pirelli "P Zero Nero GT" (~150Ä), Falken Azenis FK510 (~125Ä) and Nexen N'fera SU1 (~100Ä). I have made my choices based on various "professional" tests and public reviews.

My current 19" tyres are the Bridgestone Potenza RE50A, which have good grip and precise steering. But they are not very comfortable and they are really loud inside the vehicle. I am currently driving with 18" Nexen Winguard Sport 2 WU7 winter tyres. Those tyres are really comfortable and quiet, steering is still precise and the tyre wear seems very good, even on dry roads we mostly have this winter.

Note that Pirelli has different P Zero, P Zero Nero, P Zero Nero GT, and they are all a little different. The latest with GT at the end seems to be a good tyre, better than the previous ones. But it's the most expensive of the three. Its the best looking tyre, which is a stupid argument, I agree

The Falken gets a lot of good reviews, but seems to wear rather quickly.
AO Silver Member

Nexen N'fera SU1 are what im running now....no complaints so far....and they are nearly three weeks old!!
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Cheshire
Garage
I'm in the market for all 4 as well.

Currently got 2 Pirellis at the rear and a Davanti on the passenger side and something else I can't recall off the top of my head on the driver's side*.

* It's an Accelera

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Last edited by NineWhileNine; 19-02-19 at 06:44.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Brera S

Mine had Continental ContiSports on when I brought it and that's what I've replaced them with. I've found them good in all respects apart from longevity
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
Check out the Landsail tyres, better economy, grip and noise levels that most of the premium tyres - Love em!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topic View Post
Check out the Landsail tyres, better economy, grip and noise levels that most of the premium tyres - Love em!
Landsail do seem to be making a name for themselves.

Persionally I like Goodyear, Dunlop and Michelin but would consider others with good reviews as well.

I have never been a fan of Avon or Pirelli.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDM TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMito View Post
The Rainsport did catch my eye, could be good given the 382 days of rain we get every year in Glasgow.

Do you feel like the wet ability comes at the expense of dry ability? Or any other compromises?
I would not rate my ability to judge the finer differences between tyres very high but on the odd occasion that I took a bend in the road or motorway off ramp faster than maybe I should there was no loss of grip on the Uniroyal's, I think the sidewalls are a bit stiffer as the tyres feel more solid than the Pirellis which I like.
(Post Link) post #16 of 32 Old 13-02-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 S

Someone made a good point - I haven’t derailed my definition of ‘good tyres.’ No track day use but often do long drives on twisty narrow A roads (A82/83/85) and enjoy driving the car hard where I can. But it’s also my daily and I live on the west of Scotland where it’s wet 130% of the time.

Good wet and dry grip. I do find the Pirelli’s good in the dry but unremarkable, bordering on poor, in the wet. With my mileage I replace my tyres within a year so no issues with them getting cracked/hard due to age.

Have read that the rainsports have soft sidewalls that compromises their dry ability for spirited driving but then the last comment goes against this. Michelin PS4 look great but are at the pricey end.
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider916JD View Post
Has anyone tried the Avon ZV7 on a 159 Ti ?

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s393..._Noise%3A_70dB

Iíve got the ZV5 on my 916 Spider, which only gets out in the dry so no clue about wet performance etc.

I've just fitted a set of Avon zv7 on the new wheels on my Giulia, very pleased so far and by far the cheapest was National tyres, fitted price fitted at my house was less than I could buy them for on the net, use thecode THANKS to get 10% off.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMito View Post
Someone made a good point - I havenít derailed my definition of Ďgood tyres.í No track day use but often do long drives on twisty narrow A roads (A82/83/85) and enjoy driving the car hard where I can. But itís also my daily and I live on the west of Scotland where itís wet 130% of the time.

Good wet and dry grip. I do find the Pirelliís good in the dry but unremarkable, bordering on poor, in the wet. With my mileage I replace my tyres within a year so no issues with them getting cracked/hard due to age.

Have read that the rainsports have soft sidewalls that compromises their dry ability for spirited driving but then the last comment goes against this. Michelin PS4 look great but are at the pricey end.
This is pretty much my requirements, albeit not so much rain down south, but my some of the roads on my commute means a sudden downfall can leave the roads a bit treacherous - one other thing for me was noise - I opted for the Dunlops as they fitted the bill, (along with the Michelins) but the Michelins were just that bit cheaper with discount.

If I were replacing them annually, I'd have gone with a cheaper set - but if you're replacing them annually, you could try the Rainsports, if they're not great then you don't have too long to put up with them!
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Had a set of Uniroyal rainsport 3 205/50/16 on the giulietta - great grip in the wet but hence a very soft tyre the fronts lasted around 8000 miles.
Current have a set of 235/40/19 on the 159 great grip but can be noisy on some surfaces.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
The 235/40/19 are Pirelli P7 cinturato
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Ive been running Rainsport 3's on my wife 159 ti and found them to be a great all rounder. The grip in the wet is top draw and in terms of longevity we are getting around 14000 miles on the front wheels - superb for a 170 jtdm. No real downsides as the are great value

Garage

Member car:

159Ti

Falken FK150's for the win. They are going on my Ti this week.
symon likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzoWatsoni View Post
Falken FK150's for the win. They are going on my Ti this week.

Do you mean FK 510? Can't find a Fk150.

Garage

Member car:

159Ti

Yes sorry typo!
Had them on since Friday and I can completely concur with the others who have them. Quiet, grippy and decent price. Fuel economy isn’t the best but I’d rather trade that for planted grip and being able to whisper in the cabin (ragazzon not on yet)

Do you mean FK 510? Can't find a Fk150.[/QUOTE]
AO Member

County: Down-
Garage
Running 4x Federal ST1 Evolution here and have to say I'm very impressed with them in all conditions. Would happily buy again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
or 19 , tyres

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page