Head unit HELP required....PLS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 12Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 160 Old 14-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
Exclamation Head unit HELP required....PLS

I’ve bought a reasonable Chinese head unit, everything works as it should apart from the steering wheel buttons (Volume +/- only works okay).
I have an Alfa Romeo Brera with Blue & Me (not that it should make a difference), the cable harness supplied has Key 1 wire connected but not Key 2 wire - Do I need to connect Key 2 somewhere......Where?
How do I get these steering wheel buttons to work?
It is not the case that I need to buy a connect2 harness as the one supplied should do the job.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Hi bud, I replied on your other thread,

Have you gone into the factory settings on the unit, password is(normally) 126. From there select canbus tab (iirc) and select alfa romeo from The drop down list of cars. Select apply and exit. Hu should reset and fingers crossed the controls should work.
AO Member

Here's a YouTube link to show you the setting menu
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19oOBs4Hhw

Last edited by Alfachap5485252; 14-11-18 at 19:18.
(Post Link) post #4 of 160 Old 14-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfachap5485252 View Post
Hi bud, I replied on your other thread,

Have you gone into the factory settings on the unit, password is(normally) 126. From there select canbus tab (iirc) and select alfa romeo from The drop down list of cars. Select apply and exit. Hu should reset and fingers crossed the controls should work.
I did do this, the unit rebooted and then nothing worked not even the volume buttons?
The selection I think said something like Alfa Romeo Bangoo (which happens to be the box fitted) Still did **** all.....
I’m baffled
UPDATE: I now have +/- volume working and the Fwd & Back buttons on the other side but none of the telephone ones???

Last edited by Topic; 14-11-18 at 20:43.
AO Silver Member

If I remember correctly the key wires on head unit harness go to key wires on the patch lead from steering wheel adaptor box.
Key1,key2 and ground. Mine uses the jack plug option but if I remember correctly both key wires need connecting to enable all buttons except mute to work on steering wheel controls.

What wiring kit did you get with your set up,can you post a pic/link?
Topic likes this.
AO Member

Glad you've got most of the buttons working. Can't really help with the phone buttons. The call buttons on mine don't work either, however since I didn't have b&m factory fitted i didn't use them anyway. So I just use the on screen buttons for calls.
AO Member

County: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfachap5485252 View Post
Glad you've got most of the buttons working. Can't really help with the phone buttons. The call buttons on mine don't work either, however since I didn't have b&m factory fitted i didn't use them anyway. So I just use the on screen buttons for calls.
Same here all work except for the phone button, not fussed really as dont bother answering calls when driving (Only peace i get these days)
(Post Link) post #8 of 160 Old 15-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
I am told that all I need to do is connect the Key2 wire from the head unit harness to the other steering wheel control wire - Where on earth will that be on the plug?
Iím going to have another go tomorrow, I need to find another brown wire allegedly?
(Post Link) post #9 of 160 Old 15-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyroper View Post
If I remember correctly the key wires on head unit harness go to key wires on the patch lead from steering wheel adaptor box.
Key1,key2 and ground. Mine uses the jack plug option but if I remember correctly both key wires need connecting to enable all buttons except mute to work on steering wheel controls.

Here you go mate:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DSP-...68e74c4dHqt2tP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5759834C-2B24-408B-8D52-8990F59E61A0.jpg (88.4 KB, 32 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Topic, what head unit did you get, and if you manage to sort it, would you recommend it?
(Post Link) post #11 of 160 Old 15-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post
Topic, what head unit did you get, and if you manage to sort it, would you recommend it?
The one I bought is in the link above but I did go for their all singing all dancing one with DPS, DAB & Rearview camera - yes I would recommend it as it does everything you want plus some.
Easy install except for this little problem but Iím sure Iíll sort this out shortly
I may buy their DVR as well for the front?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FED8EFC7-8EC3-4F0B-8CAD-1E0527BD62E3.jpg (39.5 KB, 33 views)
stan laurel likes this.

Last edited by Topic; 15-11-18 at 21:08.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topic View Post
Quote:

Here you go mate:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DSP-...68e74c4dHqt2tP
What steering interface have you got one supplied with HU or a different one?
With the patch lead from interface it should only have 3 wires from it and possibly a jack plug. Hopefully it should be a quick fix once you pull HU again
(Post Link) post #13 of 160 Old 15-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
What steering interface have you got one supplied with HU or a different one?
With the patch lead from interface it should only have 3 wires from it and possibly a jack plug. Hopefully it should be a quick fix once you pull HU again
The harness sent had Key1 wire already connected within their interface plug, Key2 wire is shown as No.5 in the picture above, this needs connecting/splicing to the other steering wheel control wire. The problem I have is which wire do I need to connect the spare Key2 wire to?
On most cars they only use the Key1 wire, on canbus systems they use both K1 & K2.
AO Silver Member

Once you have HU out again hopefully you can tell which one is K2 on the interface,the Chinese HU I tried had all the loom colour coded so would like to think yours would too.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
The harness sent had Key1 wire already connected within their interface plug, Key2 wire is shown as No.5 in the picture above, this needs connecting/splicing to the other steering wheel control wire. The problem I have is which wire do I need to connect the spare Key2 wire to?
On most cars they only use the Key1 wire, on canbus systems they use both K1 & K2.
Different head unit I know Alan, but mine only used one of the key wires

Have the same problem with the same HU. So did u found where to connect that key wire?
(Post Link) post #17 of 160 Old 25-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddoo View Post
Have the same problem with the same HU. So did u found where to connect that key wire?
Didnít bother in the end, works okay as it is.

Quote:
Quote:
Didn’t bother in the end, works okay as it is.
yup, but also the HU doesnt shut down after second engine start, needs to press reset button every time. I dont mind about that steering controls, but that annoying reseting every time... 🙂
(Post Link) post #19 of 160 Old 26-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
yup, but also the HU doesnt shut down after second engine start, needs to press reset button every time. I dont mind about that steering controls, but that annoying reseting every time... 🙂
Never had that problem?
So if I understand, if you start the car and then turn off ignition HU shuts down normally but if start the car again and switch off it stays on, is that Correct?

Quote:
Quote:
Never had that problem?
So if I understand, if you start the car and then turn off ignition HU shuts down normally but if start the car again and switch off it stays on, is that Correct?
yes, thats correct.
(Post Link) post #21 of 160 Old 26-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Have you done any other mods or using the feed to something else, or even connected another wire to it thatís still live?
If the ignition is switched off then no power should go to the head unit so it to should shut down, what is keeping the live side live?
Mine turns off and and at start up comes up with the Alfa logo and turns back on, it has never stayed on after turning off ignition, have you inadvertently change something in settings (from factory setting page using access code)?
You need to investigate the settings page, something has changed or you have a permanent feed to the head unit?

Alrite-kid

Quote:
Have you done any other mods or using the feed to something else, or even connected another wire to it that’s still live?
If the ignition is switched off then no power should go to the head unit so it to should shut down, what is keeping the live side live?
Mine turns off and and at start up comes up with the Alfa logo and turns back on, it has never stayed on after turning off ignition, have you inadvertently change something in settings (from factory setting page using access code)?
You need to investigate the settings page, something has changed or you have a permanent feed to the head unit?
Thats the thing, I havent changed anything, just plug and play, maybe canbus adaptor is defected, I dont know 🤔 and how is it even possible that after first engine start and turn off there are no permanent feed and after second it is

Last edited by Hiddoo; 26-03-19 at 22:26.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Hi Topic

I'd like to get the same unit as you - I have a question though if you don't mind?

If you are playing a music track (from a mem stick for example) and switch off, does it automatically resume again at the same place in the track when you restart? I listen to a lot of talking books in the car and I don't want to have to search for where I left off every time!

Cheers
James
(Post Link) post #24 of 160 Old 27-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinnewcastl View Post
Hi Topic

I'd like to get the same unit as you - I have a question though if you don't mind?

If you are playing a music track (from a mem stick for example) and switch off, does it automatically resume again at the same place in the track when you restart? I listen to a lot of talking books in the car and I don't want to have to search for where I left off every time!

Cheers
James
Music it does couldnít say about audio books but I suppose similar principles apply?
If I stop it half way though a track, it continues from where it was stopped.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Music it does couldnít say about audio books but I suppose similar principles apply?
If I stop it half way though a track, it continues from where it was stopped.
Thanks Topic

That's great, thanks for checking. Think I'll order one - I really fancy the Torque feature to check all the cars parameters!

Chers
James

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
head , requiredpls , unit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page