2008 2.4 cold start problem solved - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By r5gttcam

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 27-10-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
2008 2.4 cold start problem solved

Just putting this up for any one else with this problem.

I have owned my car for two months and has always had cold start issues, it would start but would take about 5 to 10 seconds.

After reading many posts I thought I would try the glow plugs first as my car is the later engine with the longer glow plugs and it's possible someone had fitted the wrong plugs in it 120k lifetime.

Well i removed the old plugs yesterday (get the engine hot first) and low and behold 5 incorrect and short NGK plugs were fitted. I tested them and they were all good at under 1.5 ohms. I replaced the plugs with the recommended BERU GN069 from Mr auto......... And today the coldest day of the year so far it started instantly with no noticeable smoke😎

It still needs the software update as it's lumpy for a few seconds and requires me to hold the revs at 1k for 5 seconds or so.

One other issue I found was one of my diesel return pipes (top of injector) was leaking slightly and according to my uncle would account for the longer than normal starting over the last few days. I changed one section then started the car to find another section was leaking! So I replaced them all (about 18") for a few pound from the auto shop for peace of mind as they had all become hard.

I believe the plugs were the issue and the leaking pipe has only just happened, please note my car has a egr blanking plate and new manifold with flaps connected and working and it still started like junk.

I hope this helps others with the quest to solve starting issues on a 2008+ 2.4 jtdm.

Regards
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -kent
Good work. Pleased you solved it.
It was the same case with my 2.4 some years ago when I bought it. Fitting the correct plugs made a world of difference.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I can't say changing plugs made a difference to mine - I had the software update already, so prompted me to change the plugs - I fitted the correct Beru ones, in place of some NGK which appeared to be the same length. Locking swirlflaps open, then eventually replacing with a new cleaned and deswirled manifold made the biggest difference.

But if this fixes yours, or anyone else's problems - good stuff!
AO Member

County: United Kingdom

Member car:

Alfa 159

Any idea if this update can be done by a none alfa garage and how much does it cost to get the update.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I had mine booked in with Autolusso, along with an EGR delete who told me it had been done, so not necessary.

My new local AR dealer in Millbrook wanted me to book in the car to have it checked over - and told me flat out there was no update available - normally wouldn't touch the dealer on a car this old, but thought there was a possibility they might do it for free..
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
I had mine booked in with Autolusso, along with an EGR delete who told me it had been done, so not necessary.

My new local AR dealer in Millbrook wanted me to book in the car to have it checked over - and told me flat out there was no update available - normally wouldn't touch the dealer on a car this old, but thought there was a possibility they might do it for free..
Software update as no longer available on these cars, Witech 1 is no longer supported only Witech 2 which is too new to do 159 / Brera

Witech 1 still works as a diagnostic tool but only offline

Ned
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r5gttcam View Post
Just putting this up for any one else with this problem.

I have owned my car for two months and has always had cold start issues, it would start but would take about 5 to 10 seconds.

After reading many posts I thought I would try the glow plugs first as my car is the later engine with the longer glow plugs and it's possible someone had fitted the wrong plugs in it 120k lifetime.

Well i removed the old plugs yesterday (get the engine hot first) and low and behold 5 incorrect and short NGK plugs were fitted. I tested them and they were all good at under 1.5 ohms. I replaced the plugs with the recommended BERU GN069 from Mr auto......... And today the coldest day of the year so far it started instantly with no noticeable smoke😎

It still needs the software update as it's lumpy for a few seconds and requires me to hold the revs at 1k for 5 seconds or so.

One other issue I found was one of my diesel return pipes (top of injector) was leaking slightly and according to my uncle would account for the longer than normal starting over the last few days. I changed one section then started the car to find another section was leaking! So I replaced them all (about 18") for a few pound from the auto shop for peace of mind as they had all become hard.

I believe the plugs were the issue and the leaking pipe has only just happened, please note my car has a egr blanking plate and new manifold with flaps connected and working and it still started like junk.

I hope this helps others with the quest to solve starting issues on a 2008+ 2.4 jtdm.

Regards
Chris
Just remember, the glow plugs are not a model year upgrade but based on engine type - 210bhp has the longer plugs, 200bhp has the shorter plugs.
I assume you have the 210bhp version?
I would also check your swirlflaps for leaks, spray some soapy water around each spindle and see if you generate bubbles? Get them blanked or lock them permanently open.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 05-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

[QUOTE=Topic;17344407]
Quote:
Just remember, the glow plugs are not a model year upgrade but based on engine type - 210bhp has the longer plugs, 200bhp has the shorter plugs.
I would also check your swirlflaps for leaks, spray some soapy water around each spindle and see if you generate bubbles? Get them blanked or lock them permanently open.

Did you read my post, yes my car is the 210 engine as it has the later interior and is standard on cars from 2008.

My car has a inlet new manifold so I know it's not the manifold in this occasion and as I now have an egr delete I will not have any need to lock the swirl flaps.
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 05-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post

Software update as no longer available on these cars, Witech 1 is no longer supported only Witech 2 which is too new to do 159 / Brera

Witech 1 still works as a diagnostic tool but only offline

Ned
Ned, thanks for the input so just to confirm all main dealers will not be able to update my ECU.

If that's the case do I have any other options, I know you can do the update but I stay in the west coast of Scotland so it's a fair drive down to you.

Can you confirm what year the ECU update was released?

Cheers
Chris
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Ned, thanks for the input so just to confirm all main dealers will not be able to update my ECU.

If that's the case do I have any other options, I know you can do the update but I stay in the west coast of Scotland so it's a fair drive down to you.

Can you confirm what year the ECU update was released?

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris

No we or dealers can no longer do software updates on the 159 platform cars, a bit rubbish really

If you read your cars hardware and software numbers with an OBD scanner I can tell you if it required the update

Reading your other post, swirl flaps need to be deleted properly not just pinned or fixed open

Ned
(Post Link) post #11 of 14 Old 05-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post

Hi Chris

No we or dealers can no longer do software updates on the 159 platform cars, a bit rubbish really

If you read your cars hardware and software numbers with an OBD scanner I can tell you if it required the update

Reading your other post, swirl flaps need to be deleted properly not just pinned or fixed open

Ned
Hi Ned I have not done anything to my swirl flaps as it's a new manifold and the egr is deleted so should not gum up like before. I plan to keep this original.

Will Alfa obd give me this information and considering it runs roughly fora few seconds does this not indicate it's not been done.?

Has this support only recently been dropped by alfa.?

Fyi my car was last at a dealer in 2011.
AO Silver Member

County: Avon
[QUOTE=r5gttcam;17346267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topic View Post
Quote:

Did you read my post, yes my car is the 210 engine as it has the later interior and is standard on cars from 2008.

My car has a inlet new manifold so I know it's not the manifold in this occasion and as I now have an egr delete I will not have any need to lock the swirl flaps.
I'm sure he did read it and he still correctly points out that it is dependent on engine type not model year. Automatics were always 200hp regardless or the year or interior for example. Best way to check is whether it says 210 on the drivers door frame or not.

Current:
2008 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso Sportwagon Q-Tronic
2003 166 3.0 V6 Super

Past:
1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2006 Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJet
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 05-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

My car is a 210.... All manuals after spring of 2008 are 210 with longer glow plugs.

Everything I said in my original post is correct. It's post like this that makes the boards confusing.
Agusta likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
Quote:
My car is a 210.... All manuals after spring of 2008 are 210 with longer glow plugs.

Everything I said in my original post is correct. It's post like this that makes the boards confusing.
As Larry said, does it state 210 on the inner ident plate, still goes by engine type not year.
As for the fact you have a new inlet manifold will make no difference to how long the swirl flaps last, EGR DELETE or not, eventually they will leak.
No need to get all shirty! If your after advice or information then accept what people offer to try and assist, we are only trying to help - Alternatively find another site to ask.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
2008 , cold , problem , solved , start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page