2.2 Spider stiff gear change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnnyroper

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 06-09-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
2.2 Spider stiff gear change

Its been a while since my Brera went, so I have nothing to compare, but recently I was driving my wifes Spider and I feel the gear change is quite stiff. I dont think its the normal M32 gearbox problem as there are no other symptoms. Does anyone have any idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
How old is the gear box oil ?
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 06-09-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Its not very old, but I'm not sure of the quality. We had some work done on the car a couple of years ago where the oil had to be changed. I do have some of the correct stuff, which I must try.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
I get the occasional issue selecting first gear from time to time, perhaps once every 20 attempts. But it's always been like that. No issues selecting any other gear.
AO Silver Member

Take cables off the gearbox end and remove the pin for the selector that is vertical and spring loaded.
It has a clip on rear you need to remove then pin can be pulled out,mine was corroded so needed a clean up as did the hole then refitting with some copper slip. Gear change was transformed after.
Top Down likes this.
AO Member

That's a good thing to check. I'll have to have a look at mine. My gear change isn't bad to my mind but you never know perhaps it could be better.
AO Member

County: Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyroper View Post
Take cables off the gearbox end and remove the pin for the selector that is vertical and spring loaded.
It has a clip on rear you need to remove then pin can be pulled out,mine was corroded so needed a clean up as did the hole then refitting with some copper slip. Gear change was transformed after.
That sounds very familiar in regards to the selector pin on the 147 gearbox. Iíve had a few where it needed to be removed, cleaned up and greased. Sometimes it could be so bad you could hardly select certain gears. It did always transform the gear change!
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 06-09-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancofreddo View Post
That sounds very familiar in regards to the selector pin on the 147 gearbox. Iíve had a few where it needed to be removed, cleaned up and greased. Sometimes it could be so bad you could hardly select certain gears. It did always transform the gear change!
Soon as I read the post I was thinking 147!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirafioriman View Post
That's a good thing to check. I'll have to have a look at mine. My gear change isn't bad to my mind but you never know perhaps it could be better.
Mine got worse as under bonnet temps increased on long runs,the lever didn’t always self centre so it could be a struggle getting 3rd and 4th.

Once cables were off if you moved the selector up and down it didn’t spring back to centre position,I was thinking box fault. Once the pivot pin was out the spring feeling was normal so knew it had to be the pin binding.
Also a good time to check cable adjustment,there is a hole to pin mechanism on box and a clip on passenger side to lock the lever. Once that done see if the cables line up ok with the ball on selector if not adjust cable ends to suit.

How do you remove the cables? Is it simply a case of prising them apart with a flat head screwdriver? I didn't want to force them just in case I broke something!

I noticed the top cable has some kind of spring mechanism, does this need to be depressed while pulling apart?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gearcables.jpg (87.4 KB, 20 views)
AO Silver Member

Just pop them off the ball using suitable screwdriver or pry bar.

The spring mechanism is for adjusting the cable
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Turned out to be the actual cables, like I suspected. With the wife going through the motions with the gear lever I sprayed WD40 on the ends of the cables where they emerge from the ends of the outers, gradually normal service was resumed at the gear lever end. We'll see how that goes, might be time for new cables.
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

That's a fairly regular job we do on the big mileage Astras at work...same box..or it feels like you a pushing the shifter through tar!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
change , gear , spider , stiff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page