1750 TBI Battery issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 12-07-18 Thread Starter

County: Scotland
Garage

Member car:

2012 159 1750 TI

1750 TBI Battery issue

I fitted mudflaps to the TI last night, then went to start the car this morning and the battery was flat. I have charged the battery and it now starts fine though the yellow engine light is now on.

The car has had a few decent runs last week, so am trying to decide if the issue is just the battery.

the battery has charged to 12.8v

There is a current drain when everything is off, around 0.16 Amps, I tried pulling fuses from the engine bay fuse box - none changed the current, not sure if this is high?

The car is on its original Magneti Marelli battery and the previous owner did not use the car for some time (quite a few months) so perhaps the battery is on ts way out?

Will the engine warning light go out - or do I need to get it reset?

Any suggestions welcome.

THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Did you leave the boot/glove box/doors open whilst you fitted the mud flaps? May explain the battery, particularly if its the original, that should've been replaced by now.

12.8v with the engine off is OK but not representative of the whole picture. You really need to know what it's charge capacity is (there are tools that'll tell you) and you should also check voltage with the engine running and also with an electrical load.

Engine management light - needs a diagnostic but may be battery related. They don't like low battery voltages.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
160 mA drain is quite high, however, was that with all systems shutt down, and interior lights etc. off ? It takes a while for everything to shut down.
20 mAmax would be more normal.

160 mA means 0,16*24 = 3,8 Ah / day

Don't know what size your battery is, but say it's 40 Ah. You don't want to drain it more then 50%, so with 160 mA it would last only 5 days ......
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
Did you leave the boot/glove box/doors open whilst you fitted the mud flaps? May explain the battery, particularly if its the original, that should've been replaced by now.

12.8v with the engine off is OK but not representative of the whole picture. You really need to know what it's charge capacity is (there are tools that'll tell you) and you should also check voltage with the engine running and also with an electrical load.

Engine management light - needs a diagnostic but may be battery related. They don't like low battery voltages.
The boot/glove box/doors open lights cant flatten the battery out.....if left on they automatically shut off after a few minutes. Just as well with the number of times Ive released the boot with the key in my pocket ...and left if ajar all night!!!
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 13-07-18 Thread Starter

Garage

Member car:

2012 159 1750 TI

Warning light has gone off today.

I have just ordered a new battery https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/ea900/ , my logic was if I pull all the fuses and still getting a drain the issue is with the battery or the wiring to the fuse box (unlikely I hope).

I have also ordered a Micro-200 battery load tester.

Thanks folks.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
The boot/glove box/doors open lights cant flatten the battery out.....if left on they automatically shut off after a few minutes. Just as well with the number of times Ive released the boot with the key in my pocket ...and left if ajar all night!!!
Yes I know that, not sure about the glove box though. The point remains though that if you're in and out of the car they can flatten the battery.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 16-07-18 Thread Starter

Garage

Member car:

2012 159 1750 TI

Sorted with new battery, perfect fit:

Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Aalborg
Garage
Is the new battery the same size as the old one?
In my 1.75 TBi the battery is much shorter (242 x 175 x 190mm) but I am also considering to put in a 315 x 175 x 190mm or 278 x 175 x 190mm battery if I should change it.
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 17-07-18 Thread Starter

Garage

Member car:

2012 159 1750 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik_45 View Post
Is the new battery the same size as the old one?
In my 1.75 TBi the battery is much shorter (242 x 175 x 190mm) but I am also considering to put in a 315 x 175 x 190mm or 278 x 175 x 190mm battery if I should change it.
Yes the new one is the same size: 315 x 175 x 190 with slightly more Amp hours. as link above.
AO Member

County: -
Garage
Sorry to revive an old thread but wondered how you got on with this battery, new to alfa ownership and the 1750 tbi i picked up had been off for a couple weeks when i picked it up, had a 1.5 hour trip home but it was dead the next day! Seen a thread stating to use the agm start/stop type as its more resilient, but thought id see how you got on with this first

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
1750 , battery , issue , tbi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page